Ethernet Card Shopping Dilemma

Post by JediPengui » Wed, 26 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I am wondering whether to buy either a Linksys Etherfast 10/100 PCI LAN card
or a Netgear FA310Tx. Has anyone tried either/both? With highly successful
Linux rates?

Ethernet Card Shopping Dilemma

Post by C.Cosentin » Wed, 26 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I use two Netgear FA310Tx NICs in my linux box (2.2.14 kernel) and had ZERO
PROBLEMs with either of them. I would recommend it. It uses the "TULIP"
driver, which autodetected on my Mandrake 6.1 Install.

-Chris

Quote:> I am wondering whether to buy either a Linksys Etherfast 10/100 PCI LAN

Post by Dr. Philip Marti » Thu, 27 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> I am wondering whether to buy either a Linksys Etherfast 10/100 PCI LAN card
> or a Netgear FA310Tx. Has anyone tried either/both? With highly successful
> Linux rates?

I've got 2 Linksys EtherFast 10/100 cards. They DO NOT work with the tulip
driver
supplied by RH 5.2, 6.1, or SUSE 6.2. However, the proper driver is
on the Linksys web site, and the compile script too.  Be sure to type this
in all on 1 line.

gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__
                                  -I/usr/src/linux/net/inet
                                  -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O6 -c tulip.c
                                  `[ -f /usr/include/linux/modversions.h ]
                                  && echo -DMODVERSIONS`

Then
cp tulip.o /lib/modules/kernel_version/net

and you should be all set. At $25 a crack, they're about the cheapest
cards around, they're worth it to me.

DrPhi

Ethernet Card Shopping Dilemma

Post by Dan Hil » Thu, 27 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I have the same setup, and have also had no problems.

Dan

> I use two Netgear FA310Tx NICs in my linux box (2.2.14 kernel) and had ZERO
> PROBLEMs with either of them. I would recommend it. It uses the "TULIP"
> driver, which autodetected on my Mandrake 6.1 Install.

> -Chris

> > I am wondering whether to buy either a Linksys Etherfast 10/100 PCI LAN
> card
> > or a Netgear FA310Tx. Has anyone tried either/both? With highly successful
> > Linux rates?

Dan Hill
Manager of Information Systems
Metaullics Systems Co. LP, 31935 Aurora Road, Solon, OH 44139
440-349-8844

Post by Darren Hol » Thu, 27 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> I am wondering whether to buy either a Linksys Etherfast 10/100 PCI LAN card
> or a Netgear FA310Tx. Has anyone tried either/both? With highly successful
> Linux rates?

I have 2 of the linksys 10/100 cards in my machine.  No problems with either of
them.  I hear that the new version 2 cards require an updated tulip driver from
the one that is included with redhat 6.x.  This may the cause of some people's
problems with these cards.

--
Darren Hole

Linux-Mandrake 7.0 Celeron 450a/128 megs

Post by John Keel » Fri, 28 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> I am wondering whether to buy either a Linksys Etherfast 10/100 PCI LAN card
> or a Netgear FA310Tx. Has anyone tried either/both? With highly successful
> Linux rates?

Mr. JediPenguin,

I am using the Linksys Etherfast 10/100 with Mandrake 7.0 and it was very easy
to get working.  In fact, this card is a DEC 21x4x clone so it uses the Tulip
ethernet driver.  It is a very fast, reliable network adapter that works very
well with either windows or Linux.  I have had no problems with it whatsoever.
For the low price it is one hell of a nice card.  Another card I like, albeit
too expensive is the Intel EtherExpress PRO 100 which is very nice.  It works
well with Linux too.

 :)

Post by Troy Bourdo » Tue, 01 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> I am wondering whether to buy either a Linksys Etherfast 10/100 PCI LAN card
> or a Netgear FA310Tx. Has anyone tried either/both? With highly successful
> Linux rates?

I use the Netgear FA310Tx and it works like a champ. When I installed RedHat it
was detected during installation but the NIC comes  with Tulip.c on it's driver
disk.

Ethernet Card Shopping Dilemma

Post by LELAND STRAUSBER » Sat, 12 Feb 2000 04:00:00

if you want a nice nic ,look into the 3com 3c905 series ive been using them for
years  and the really work great, i have them working in mandrake 7 /caldera 2.3
solaris and sun openserver 5.05 they cost more but i think there worth the extra
money.

> I use two Netgear FA310Tx NICs in my linux box (2.2.14 kernel) and had ZERO
> PROBLEMs with either of them. I would recommend it. It uses the "TULIP"
> driver, which autodetected on my Mandrake 6.1 Install.

> -Chris

> > I am wondering whether to buy either a Linksys Etherfast 10/100 PCI LAN
> card
> > or a Netgear FA310Tx. Has anyone tried either/both? With highly successful
> > Linux rates?

Ethernet Card Shopping Dilemma

Post by whi.. » Sun, 20 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I use two Netgear FA310Tx NICs in my linux box

(2.2.14 kernel) and had ZERO
Quote:> PROBLEMs with either of them. I would recommend

it. It uses the "TULIP"
Quote:> driver, which autodetected on my Mandrake 6.1

Install.

Stay away from LinkSys - I'm not the only person
having trouble with hard crashes under a Linux
2.2.14 kernel (although finally the kernel tulip
driver at least supports this card).

Whit

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Ethernet Card Shopping Dilemma

Post by Panagiotis Malakoudi » Thu, 24 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I use 3com 905B with 2.2.13 and 2.2.14 kernels and I am very pleased.
Works perfectly.

=================
Panagiotis S. Malakoudis
Systems Administrator
Space Hellas S.A.
=================

> > I use two Netgear FA310Tx NICs in my linux box
> (2.2.14 kernel) and had ZERO
> > PROBLEMs with either of them. I would recommend
> it. It uses the "TULIP"
> > driver, which autodetected on my Mandrake 6.1
> Install.

> Stay away from LinkSys - I'm not the only person
> having trouble with hard crashes under a Linux
> 2.2.14 kernel (although finally the kernel tulip
> driver at least supports this card).

> Whit

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Ethernet Card Shopping Dilemma

Post by Brya » Fri, 25 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I have never had problems with my 3c905c before, it is based on the old
3c590 drivers... It was autodetected sine RH5.2 my first linux. I love my
3com BTW>

> My recommendations are the Intel Pro100+ if you want to spend money, or
> the Netgear FA310TX if you want to save money.  Both are fast
> troublefree cards, both work well in both Linux and Windows
> environments.  I have heard of plenty of folks having problems with
> the Linksys, and a few less having problems with the 3Com (but still
> too many folks having problems with such an expensive card, when the
> Intel is available for the same price, and the Netgear for less).  If
> you must have the 3Com, get the latest revision, there were definitely
> a few folks experiencing problems with them in Linux (card/driver
> freezing and requiring a reboot or powercycle to thaw) - but the latest
> revision (3C905C I think) is alleged to have fixed it).

stated:
> -> if you want a nice nic ,look into the 3com 3c905 series ive been using
them for
> -> years  and the really work great, i have them working in mandrake 7
/caldera 2.3
> -> solaris and sun openserver 5.05 they cost more but i think there worth
the extra
> -> money.

> ->> I use two Netgear FA310Tx NICs in my linux box (2.2.14 kernel) and had
ZERO
> ->> PROBLEMs with either of them. I would recommend it. It uses the
"TULIP"
> ->> driver, which autodetected on my Mandrake 6.1 Install.
> ->>
> ->> -Chris
> ->>

> ->> > I am wondering whether to buy either a Linksys Etherfast 10/100 PCI
LAN
> ->> card
> ->> > or a Netgear FA310Tx. Has anyone tried either/both? With highly
successful
> ->> > Linux rates?
> ->> >
> ->> >

> --
> John S. Cronin    phone: (404) 894-6164
> Office of Information Technology Operations and Engineering 0715
> Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Georgia, 30332-0715

1. To Ethernet card or too not Ethernet card, that is the Question for @Home Service

 Ok here is my question I have called my local TCI cable provider and asked

service they tell me even if I have a Ethernet card they will charge me a $150

need two Ethernet cards in my computer. Now who should I believe about this

what another say $40 bucks for the interner service? Scary! They're just

By testing I mean they don't even have it setup yet. They are testing it for
upload/download to make sure everything works ok before they offer it.

2. OT: Norton Ghost Question ?

3. 1 ethernet card rather than 2 ethernet cards?

4. How do I find a HWND?

5. 3Com Megahertz Global 56k PC Card modem and 3Com Ethernet PC Card

6. EMX and OCL together

7. Ethernet and Fast Ethernet Cards in 3.12 Server (long)

8. Icon titles

9. Second Ethernet card or ISDN card for Sparc

10. Card Bus/PC Card & 100Mbps Ethernet

11. Bad ethernet onboard card/1 good PCI card/Cable Modem/

12. 3COM FDDI/Ethernet switching HUB, or 6-port Ethernet Card Needed