Rx Symbol error

Post by Kot » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 15:19:00

Hello -
I have a 2 port Media Converter, 100B-FX to 100B-Tx.The fiber port is
connected to a Cisco 6509 100B0Fx port. The Fiber distance is around 4
kms.

On the Media converters I see Rx Symbol errors on the Fiber Side.My
question is what does Rx Symbol Errors mean ?

Any info here would be welcome .

Thanks
kott

Rx Symbol error

Post by Manfred Kwiatkows » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 03:18:42

>Hello -
>I have a 2 port Media Converter, 100B-FX to 100B-Tx.The fiber port is
>connected to a Cisco 6509 100B0Fx port. The Fiber distance is around 4
>kms.

>On the Media converters I see Rx Symbol errors on the Fiber Side.My
>question is what does Rx Symbol Errors mean ?

The receiver decoded an invalid code-group (= 5 consecutive bits) that
is never sent and hence can never be detected on an error free channel.
10 out of 32 possible combinations are such code violations.

--

Rx Symbol error

Post by Chris Thoma » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 04:29:15

> >Hello -
> >I have a 2 port Media Converter, 100B-FX to 100B-Tx.The fiber port is
> >connected to a Cisco 6509 100B0Fx port. The Fiber distance is around 4
> >kms.

> >On the Media converters I see Rx Symbol errors on the Fiber Side.My
> >question is what does Rx Symbol Errors mean ?

> The receiver decoded an invalid code-group (= 5 consecutive bits) that
> is never sent and hence can never be detected on an error free channel.
> 10 out of 32 possible combinations are such code violations.

4km seems long.  Maybe you have exceeded the distance limit for these
units.  What distance are they rated for?

Rx Symbol error

Post by Manfred Kwiatkows » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 06:08:16

>> >Hello -
>> >I have a 2 port Media Converter, 100B-FX to 100B-Tx.The fiber port is
>> >connected to a Cisco 6509 100B0Fx port. The Fiber distance is around 4
>> >kms.

>> >On the Media converters I see Rx Symbol errors on the Fiber Side.My
>> >question is what does Rx Symbol Errors mean ?

>> The receiver decoded an invalid code-group (= 5 consecutive bits) that
>> is never sent and hence can never be detected on an error free channel.
>> 10 out of 32 possible combinations are such code violations.

>4km seems long.  Maybe you have exceeded the distance limit for these
>units.  What distance are they rated for?

Most probably. Anything that claims 100Base-FX is rated 2 km.
The actual distance is limited by the attenuation budget with 50/125u
fiber and with 62.5/125 you will eventually see Rx symbol errors... :-)

--

Rx Symbol error

Post by M.C. van den Bovenkam » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 06:12:46

>>>I have a 2 port Media Converter, 100B-FX to 100B-Tx.The fiber port is
>>>connected to a Cisco 6509 100B0Fx port. The Fiber distance is around 4
>>>kms.

>>>On the Media converters I see Rx Symbol errors on the Fiber Side.My
>>>question is what does Rx Symbol Errors mean ?

> 4km seems long.  Maybe you have exceeded the distance limit for these
> units.  What distance are they rated for?

I wondered about that as well. Officially 100BASE-FX is rated for 2km...

                Regards,

                        Marco.

Rx Symbol error

Post by Kot » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 18:57:28

> > 4km seems long.  Maybe you have exceeded the distance limit for these
> > units.  What distance are they rated for?

> I wondered about that as well. Officially 100BASE-FX is rated for 2km...

>            Regards,

>                    Marco.

Hello -
The Media Converter on the fiber side is single mode ,with 15kms range
(1300nm).
The Cisco 6509 fiber Port is Single Mode 100B-FX (I am told )
I have not been able to verify the Cisco 6509 FX Port , but does
anybody have any info about the modes the Fiber supports on the 6509
switch ?

Also is there a standard for 100-LX/LH  fiber for fast Ethernet ?

Thanks
Kott

Rx Symbol error

Post by Geo » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 23:56:56

Kott,
     You'll likely need to use the media converters in pairs, as the Cisco
100FX side is only able to reach 2Km on Multimode.   You don't mention if
this was your initial install, and this has ever worked, so I presume it is
new, and has yet to operate correctly.
      Most Long Haul (LH) implementations are vendor specific (not
standard), and at the very least, the fiber tranceiver discreet component
should be made by the same vendor.   LH for Fast Ethernet is not a standard.
Even though it is standardized for Gigabit, it's still recommended to use
the same vendor (even to the revision level) for each side of the fiber
link.  Especially at longer distances.
       I don't think there's any way around your need for a second
transceiver, though you may choose to use the 100FX to 100FX (LH) media
converter for your use.  It may be more expensive than using the
100TX-100FX(LH) converter, and use a copper port on the Cisco switch.
      Good luck!

George Johnston
Logical Solutions for Integration
Clarity in an Unclear World

> > > 4km seems long.  Maybe you have exceeded the distance limit for these
> > > units.  What distance are they rated for?

> > I wondered about that as well. Officially 100BASE-FX is rated for 2km...

> > Regards,

> > Marco.
> Hello -
> The Media Converter on the fiber side is single mode ,with 15kms range
> (1300nm).
> The Cisco 6509 fiber Port is Single Mode 100B-FX (I am told )
> I have not been able to verify the Cisco 6509 FX Port , but does
> anybody have any info about the modes the Fiber supports on the 6509
> switch ?

> Also is there a standard for 100-LX/LH  fiber for fast Ethernet ?

> Thanks
> Kott

Rx Symbol error

Post by Kot » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 13:02:55

> Kott,
>      You'll likely need to use the media converters in pairs, as the Cisco
> 100FX side is only able to reach 2Km on Multimode.   You don't mention if
> this was your initial install, and this has ever worked, so I presume it is
> new, and has yet to operate correctly.
>       Most Long Haul (LH) implementations are vendor specific (not
> standard), and at the very least, the fiber tranceiver discreet component
> should be made by the same vendor.   LH for Fast Ethernet is not a standard.
> Even though it is standardized for Gigabit, it's still recommended to use
> the same vendor (even to the revision level) for each side of the fiber
> link.  Especially at longer distances.
>        I don't think there's any way around your need for a second
> transceiver, though you may choose to use the 100FX to 100FX (LH) media
> converter for your use.  It may be more expensive than using the
> 100TX-100FX(LH) converter, and use a copper port on the Cisco switch.
>       Good luck!

> George Johnston

Hello George -
 The specs on 6509 Fiber Port ( I am told)
Single Mode Fiber LX/LH
1300 nm -- Wavelength
-20 to -14 dbm (8.3/9/10 Micron SMF) -- Transmit Power
-31 to -8 dbm -- Receiver Sensitivity
Distance Range :??

The Specs on the Media Converter Fiber Transceiver is
Single Mode Fiber
Launch Power is -15dbm to -8dbm
1300 nm - wavelength
-32 to -7.5 dbm - RX Sensitivity
Distance Range :15kms

I have not measured the optical losses on the line( currently 4 km distance).

Thanks
Kott

> Logical Solutions for Integration
> Clarity in an Unclear World

>  4

> > > I wondered about that as well. Officially 100BASE-FX is rated for 2km...

> > > Regards,

> > > Marco.
> > Hello -
> > The Media Converter on the fiber side is single mode ,with 15kms range
> > (1300nm).
> > The Cisco 6509 fiber Port is Single Mode 100B-FX (I am told )
> > I have not been able to verify the Cisco 6509 FX Port , but does
> > anybody have any info about the modes the Fiber supports on the 6509
> > switch ?

> > Also is there a standard for 100-LX/LH  fiber for fast Ethernet ?

> > Thanks
> > Kott

Rx Symbol error

Post by Geo » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 22:40:05

Kott,
      I've located the Cisco spec for distance for the 100FX mod on Single
Mode, which is 10Km.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/prod_module_ins...
      I assume you're connecting on the Cisco side to an MTRJ port?   And,
you're using Single mode from the port through the patch, and across the
long run?   If this is the case, I'm not sure what the issue is.  You'd have
to measure the optical power to determine the loss.   Finally,  I'd suspect
the difference in optical vendor parts.   We already know there's a mismatch
in distance, 10Km versus 15Km   You could "half split", if you had a second
media converter, to check things with.

George Johnston
Logical Solutions for Integration
Clarity in an Unclear World

> > Kott,
> >      You'll likely need to use the media converters in pairs, as the
Cisco
> > 100FX side is only able to reach 2Km on Multimode.   You don't mention
if
> > this was your initial install, and this has ever worked, so I presume it
is
> > new, and has yet to operate correctly.
> >       Most Long Haul (LH) implementations are vendor specific (not
> > standard), and at the very least, the fiber tranceiver discreet
component
> > should be made by the same vendor.   LH for Fast Ethernet is not a
standard.
> > Even though it is standardized for Gigabit, it's still recommended to
use
> > the same vendor (even to the revision level) for each side of the fiber
> > link.  Especially at longer distances.
> >        I don't think there's any way around your need for a second
> > transceiver, though you may choose to use the 100FX to 100FX (LH) media
> > converter for your use.  It may be more expensive than using the
> > 100TX-100FX(LH) converter, and use a copper port on the Cisco switch.
> >       Good luck!

> > George Johnston

> Hello George -
>  The specs on 6509 Fiber Port ( I am told)
> Single Mode Fiber LX/LH
> 1300 nm -- Wavelength
> -20 to -14 dbm (8.3/9/10 Micron SMF) -- Transmit Power
> -31 to -8 dbm -- Receiver Sensitivity
> Distance Range :??

> The Specs on the Media Converter Fiber Transceiver is
> Single Mode Fiber
> Launch Power is -15dbm to -8dbm
> 1300 nm - wavelength
> -32 to -7.5 dbm - RX Sensitivity
> Distance Range :15kms

> I have not measured the optical losses on the line( currently 4 km
distance).

> Thanks
> Kott

> > Logical Solutions for Integration
> > Clarity in an Unclear World

> >  4

Side.My

2km...

> > > Hello -
> > > The Media Converter on the fiber side is single mode ,with 15kms range
> > > (1300nm).
> > > The Cisco 6509 fiber Port is Single Mode 100B-FX (I am told )
> > > I have not been able to verify the Cisco 6509 FX Port , but does
> > > anybody have any info about the modes the Fiber supports on the 6509
> > > switch ?

> > > Also is there a standard for 100-LX/LH  fiber for fast Ethernet ?

> > > Thanks
> > > Kott

Rx Symbol error

Post by Kot » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 20:23:33

Hello  -
the problem was a bad fiber link, Thanks for the info.

Kott

> [...]

> > > transceiver, though you may choose to use the 100FX to 100FX (LH) media
> > > converter for your use.  It may be more expensive than using the
> > > 100TX-100FX(LH) converter, and use a copper port on the Cisco switch.
> > >       Good luck!

> > > George Johnston

> > Hello George -
> >  The specs on 6509 Fiber Port ( I am told)
> > Single Mode Fiber LX/LH
> > 1300 nm -- Wavelength
> > -20 to -14 dbm (8.3/9/10 Micron SMF) -- Transmit Power
> > -31 to -8 dbm -- Receiver Sensitivity
> > Distance Range :??

> > The Specs on the Media Converter Fiber Transceiver is
> > Single Mode Fiber
> > Launch Power is -15dbm to -8dbm
> > 1300 nm - wavelength
> > -32 to -7.5 dbm - RX Sensitivity
> > Distance Range :15kms

> > I have not measured the optical losses on the line( currently 4 km

1. Rx Symbol error

Hello -
I have a 2 port Media Converter, 100B-FX to 100B-Tx.The fiber port is
connected to a Cisco 6509 100B0Fx port. The Fiber distance is around 4
kms.

On the Media converters I see Rx Symbol errors on the Fiber Side.My
question is what does Rx Symbol Errors mean ?

Any info here would be welcome .

Thanks
kott

2. Programing NetMeeting using COM objects in VB (Not with ActiveX control)

3. Cisco 801 / Symbol access point / Symbol CE client / DHCP

4. WTB: SPARCstation Aurora 2 case

5. Help with "Log Errors: 8085 DRVWAN: Rx queue full"

6. Free MAIL@agong.com

7. Excessive RX Errors on PPP in Synchronous Mode

8. Lexmark X83 with Win XP "trouble communicating with printer"

9. 10% RX errors on ppp0...What's up?

10. PPP RX Errors

11. Synchronous PPPoE Gives ppp0 RX Errors that Don't Seem to Matter ??

12. ntpdc 4.1.0 "format error Rx packet" gcc 2.95.3

13. Symbol already defined error.