10baseT to 10base2

10baseT to 10base2

Post by Kri » Mon, 23 Nov 1998 04:00:00




>Hello,

>Please can you confirm that this will work, as I am not entirely sure.
>Currently we have a network with a 10base2 backbone connecting several hubs
>to each other then on to a server box. We want to add a switch for future
>upgrading, but can't afford complete re-wiring. We can connect the server to
>one switch port easily as it has a combo card in it. The problem is
>connecting the backbone to another port. Is is possible to buy an RJ45-AUI
>transceiver, then connect that directly to an AUI-BNC transceiver and connect
>the backbone to the BNC connector and the RJ45 connector to the switch? If

No - the AUI interface converters cannot be put back-to-back in this
way.

Quote:>anyone knows of a better/cheaper way to do it, please tell me. Is it possible
>to do the same job with a hub with a BNC connector?

You can get cheap microhubs which handle from 4 - 8 ports UTP to a
10base2. They are are a home network commodity item and priced in the
UK from about GBP25 + vat. This is about the same price, or cheaper,
than two AUI converters.

If you are in the UK see
www.scan.co.uk
--
AntiSpam: email direct - omit .REMOVE from tail of address
--
"Every Solution breeds a new calamity"
--

 
 
 

10baseT to 10base2

Post by Bob Retel » Tue, 01 Dec 1998 04:00:00




Quote:>I have a similar problem. I have a 10baseT hub with a couple of machines
>hung off it.  I need to add a machine with a 10base2 adapter. The hub
>(3com fms 24 tp ) has an aui uplink port.  Can I run coax  5 feet from
>the 10base2 machine to the hub, and attach a 10base2/aui tranceiver to
>the aui uplink port on the hub? Do I need termination on the 10base2
>segment?

Yes to both questions.   An AUI to 10Base2 transceiver costs about $24
and works very well in this situation.

And yes, the coax line needs to be terminated properly on both ends,
no matter how short it is.



 
 
 

10baseT to 10base2

Post by Tim Regeste » Tue, 01 Dec 1998 04:00:00


I used to have this topology, I would by a dlink 10Base2-10baseT convertor
the 10BaseT has to go through a hub or switch buts it is v. efficient

Quote:>. Is is possible to buy an RJ45-AUI
>transceiver, then connect that directly to an AUI-BNC transceiver and
connect
>the backbone to the BNC connector and the RJ45 connector to the switch? If
>anyone knows of a better/cheaper way to do it, please tell me. Is it
possible
>to do the same job with a hub with a BNC connector?

 
 
 

10baseT to 10base2

Post by Jerry Mende » Tue, 08 Dec 1998 04:00:00


Yes, Don, this should work fine, although I'd check the docs for the hub
just to be sure.  AUI ports were originally used on 10BaseT hubs to join
the new twisted pair part of the Ethernet to the existing thick coax
infrastructure (10Base5).

Just be sure that the total length from one node to another (across the
entire network) never exceeds 2500 meters, and that you use no more than
4 repeaters (hubs) in a path.  I'm going to guess that the 10Base2 to
AUI will count as 1 repeater (the issue is the number of "bit" times it
takes to go through the transceiver -- the total number of bit times
across an entire Ethernet is strictly budgeted).

I believe you could also use a 10Base2 to 10BaseT transceiver, as well.
I personally don't like the AUI connections, because they're clunky
mechanical connections, and sometimes don't seat well -- but this is my
personal bias.


>  I have a similar problem. I have a 10baseT hub with a couple of
> machines hung off it.  I need to add a machine with a 10base2 adapter.
> The hub (3com fms 24 tp ) has an aui uplink port.  Can I run coax  5
> feet from the 10base2 machine to the hub, and attach a 10base2/aui
> tranceiver to the aui uplink port on the hub? Do I need termination on
> the 10base2 segment?

________________________________________________________________________________

Jerry Mendes, Principal Consultant           Voice: (415) 381-5500
DataComm Insights                            FAX:   (415) 381-5502
150 Seminary Drive                           Email:

Mill Valley, California  94941
http://www.datacomm-insights.com