Newbie: checking ethernet card works

Post by Stuart Robins » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 17:41:00

Quote:> A year later, if I now get another network card then is there some
> way I can test it in stand-alone mode (without connecting it to any
> network)?

Not really.

Its done in manufacturing of course, in circuit testers can be used to
check out each component. The testers cost maybe $200,000.

Quote:>  I want to check the network card works before ordering
> cable broadband.

Given that a new network card can be got for less than $10 is that really
a concern ?

Stuart.

Post by Chris Wood » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 19:45:55

> > Not really.

> > Its done in manufacturing of course, in circuit testers can be
> > used to check out each component. The testers cost maybe
> > $200,000.

> I was thinking more of testing that the network card and the PC were
> working together and communicating with each other properly.

> >>  I want to check the network card works before ordering  cable
> >>  broadband.

> > Given that a new network card can be got for less than $10 is
> > that really a concern ?

> The problem is that I have to order the broadband for a minimum of a
> year.  If it turns out that my PC cannot host any network card then I
> will be stuck!

> It is not the price of the card that is the problem but if no card is
> going to work then I am stuck with a bill for the broadband.  :-(

There are broadband providers that have a minimum of one month service, not
12.  Try one of those if you are unsure.

Newbie: checking ethernet card works

Post by Stuart Robins » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 21:34:00

Quote:> I was thinking more of testing that the network card and the PC were
> working together and communicating with each other properly.

Well if Windows detects it, and initialises the driver OK then I guess
thats as close as your going to get until you put it on the LAN.

Quote:> It is not the price of the card that is the problem but if no card is
> going to work then I am stuck with a bill for the broadband.  :-(

A PC is a complex combination of OS, Motherboard and network card, the
only practical way to test it for network functionality is to put it on a
functioning network, which could be just another PC.

Stuart.

Newbie: checking ethernet card works

Post by Stuart Robins » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 23:13:00

Quote:> No clever loopback testing avialable for ethernet cards then?

No idea, some NICs used to have DOS based testing utilities, but I have
not used one in years.

In my experience either NICs fail to be recognised or the driver wont
initialise or are recognised but cant send or receive data. The latter is
easy to test for.

Stuart.

Newbie: checking ethernet card works

Post by Geo » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 23:24:07

A couple of things.

If your PC has a USB port, this may be easier for you, since the Broadband
providers have USB connection solutions.
Secondly,   I have NEVER seen a broadband provider requiring a yearly
contract.   What I have seen, and suspect in your case, is that they will
have promotions, say for 60 or 90 days free with a one year commitment.
This only means that if you cancel prior to one year, you'll have to pay for
the "free" months.   You aren't assessed any other costs, and the you can
cancel at any time.

George Johnston
Logical Solutions for Integration
Clarity in an Unclear World

> > Not really.

> > Its done in manufacturing of course, in circuit testers can be
> > used to check out each component. The testers cost maybe
> > $200,000.

> I was thinking more of testing that the network card and the PC were
> working together and communicating with each other properly.

> >>  I want to check the network card works before ordering  cable
> >>  broadband.

> > Given that a new network card can be got for less than $10 is
> > that really a concern ?

> The problem is that I have to order the broadband for a minimum of a
> year.  If it turns out that my PC cannot host any network card then I
> will be stuck!

> It is not the price of the card that is the problem but if no card is
> going to work then I am stuck with a bill for the broadband.  :-(

Newbie: checking ethernet card works

Post by Gary Tai » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 23:32:10

Quote:>I am a bt of a newbie to network cards.

>Last year I had problems installing a Linksys Ethernet card (in order
>to attach a cable modem) in my PC.  The card wouldn't work and in the
>end I gave up after asking a technical friend to try and sort it out.

>A year later, if I now get another network card then is there some
>way I can test it in stand-alone mode (without connecting it to any
>network)?  I want to check the network card works before ordering
>cable broadband.

There should be a dos diagnostic utility on the driver diskette.
Quote:>Thank you for any help.

>Grice

>PS: when I had problems my PC was Windows 98, Duron 700 MHz, MSI
>6340M motherboard, VIA KT133 chipset.  Now I am using XP Pro.

Newbie: checking ethernet card works

Post by Colin Wilso » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 03:13:59

Quote:> Secondly,   I have NEVER seen a broadband provider requiring a yearly
> contract.   What I have seen, and suspect in your case, is that they will
> have promotions, say for 60 or 90 days free with a one year commitment.

You don`t live in the UK do you ?... it`s commonplace here.

Post by Trev » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 04:18:09

> >> I was thinking more of testing that the network card and the PC
> >> were working together and communicating with each other
> >> properly.

> > Well if Windows detects it, and initialises the driver OK then I
> > guess thats as close as your going to get until you put it on
> > the LAN.

> >> It is not the price of the card that is the problem but if no
> >> card is going to work then I am stuck with a bill for the
> >> broadband.  :-(

> > A PC is a complex combination of OS, Motherboard and network
> > card, the only practical way to test it for network
> > functionality is to put it on a functioning network, which could
> > be just another PC.

> No clever loopback testing avialable for ethernet cards then?

If your first one works then there is no reason that the second one would
not. If you don't have a yellow exclamation next to it then its working now
whether you can set up the connection correctly is a different matter

Post by Ian Hasti » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 07:19:06

>> A PC is a complex combination of OS, Motherboard and network
>> card, the only practical way to test it for network
>> functionality is to put it on a functioning network, which could
>> be just another PC.

> No clever loopback testing avialable for ethernet cards then?

Yes, there is a loopback test which the manufacturers diagnostic
software can run.  However this does not guarantee that it is capable of
sending a signal down an ethernet wire.  When it comes to it the only
practical way to test an ethernet card is to try it out.

BTW, if you're using a single ethernet card to an ethernet cable modem
there's a good chance you'll need to use a crossover cable.

--
Ian.

EOM

Post by Gareth Attril » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 07:48:56

Quote:>I am a bt of a newbie to network cards.

>Last year I had problems installing a Linksys Ethernet card (in order
>to attach a cable modem) in my PC.  The card wouldn't work and in the
>end I gave up after asking a technical friend to try and sort it out.

>A year later, if I now get another network card then is there some
>way I can test it in stand-alone mode (without connecting it to any
>network)?  I want to check the network card works before ordering
>cable broadband.

Insert the card, if it shows up in the device manager then it is
working as well as you can test without another ethenet device.

You computer's spec is perfectly fine - practically all PC's with a
working PCI or ISA slot will work with an ethernet card. Configuring
it is another matter, but I suspect NTL's documentation will make this
fairly foolproof.

If you have the set top box based broadband I think they do a USB
adapter which they would be able to offer tech support on.

Gareth

Post by Bagpus » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 18:31:37

>> Yes, there is a loopback test which the manufacturers diagnostic
>> software can run.  However this does not guarantee that it is
>> capable of sending a signal down an ethernet wire.  When it
>> comes to it the only practical way to test an ethernet card is
>> to try it out.

>> BTW, if you're using a single ethernet card to an ethernet cable
>> modem there's a good chance you'll need to use a crossover
>> cable.

>Can you or someone else please explain what you mean by this:  "if
>you're using a single ethernet card to an ethernet cable modem
>there's a good chance you'll need to use a crossover cable".

A regular ethernet cable is just one you would buy everyday. Some
cable modems require a cross over cable. In this case two of the wires
are crossed over in the ethernet cable in the same way as you would
need if you were plugging a PC ethernet straight into the back of
another PC's ethernet. You just go to a shop and ask for an ethernet
cross over cable. Thats it, nothing too special. Some modems (NTL
provided one for a start) auto sense the cable type and internally
provide the cross over function so you can just use a regular cable.
It works most of the time, but for some reason my 3com hub confuses it
and I have to set the uplink button on the hub. [1]

To sum it up. Plug in the modem. If its NTLWorld you'll get a lead
with it and it will work fine. If its any other and it doen't work and
you suspect the cross over, go to a shop and say "Can I have an
ethernet cross over cable", They'll say "Will 2 meters do you mate"
and take a few sobs off you for your nice new cable. It may even be in
a fetching shade of yellow. If it then works you can then tell people
that "My modem needs a cross over, I know all about cross over
cables".

Have a search on google.com for ethernet cross over cables and you
will probably get a diagram of the two wires that are wired back to
front to provide the cross over bit.

[1] I'm using a hub becuase a) it was free b) thats much cheaper than
buying a load of extra long ethernet cables c) I'm only using on PC
into the modem at a time anyway, d) oh did I mention it was free.
--
This post does not reflect the opinions of all saggy cloth
cats be they a bit loose at the seams or not

1. check cards and cross-cables is working ?

i have 2 pcs but cannot get them working.

how do i check that the network cards and cables are working ?

can i plug in both cards in 1 pc and use ping to test if the cards are
working  since it cant work on both pcs - maybe the cable is spoilt ?

thanks

2. How do i not get ripped off ??

3. checking ethernet card

4. Modem Network System under DOS

5. How do I check my Ethernet card

6. double posting apology

7. To Ethernet card or too not Ethernet card, that is the Question for @Home Service

8. Screen writing in pbdll 5.0

9. 1 ethernet card rather than 2 ethernet cards?

10. help newbie: ethernet share @ work??

11. Ethernet Card Newbie

12. Newbie Q: ADSL Modem and 2 ethernet cards

13. Newbie ethernet card and DSL questions.