Need help with Tracing Phone Line

Post by drgra.. » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 00:12:28

I don't know if this is the right group to be asking this question in,
but perhaps someone can help me out.

I have a rats nest of phone wires converging on something called a
"66B4-B Jumper Block" down in my ba*t.  I have phone jacks with
4-wire line at various locations in the ba*t, and I can only get
one line to work although we have 2 lines in the house.  I bought a
little LED tester that plugs into the phone jack, and it checks for
crossed wires, whether there's 2 lines present, and other things.  I
suspect that something is screwed up at the jumper block because it's
just too easy to snag a wire there out in the open and pull it loose.

Rather than calling in the phone company, or spending $100 on
something called a tone generator, is there any cheaper way to find
out what's wrong with this line?

And if a tone generator kit is the only answer, can anyone tell me
where I can get the bare minimum unit new or used?

Thanks in advance for any/all help.

Mike

Need help with Tracing Phone Line

Post by Robert R Kircher, Jr » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 01:11:59

First off a better group for this questions would be comp.dcom.cabling,
however I'll give you an answer to you question here.

A tone generator is exactly what you need.  You should be able to pick on up
for a reasonable price at Home Depot or Lowes or any other larger home
center.

What you going to do is plug the sending unit into the jack at the wall and
then use the receiver to locate the wires at the block.  Now remember that
the sending unit will only send tone down the line one pair (usually blue,
blue/white) but once you find that pair is should be easy to locate the
actual cable and find the orange pair and where it's punched down.

If you phones were wired correctly for two lines than you should see a
pattern on the 66 block something like b, b/w then o, o/w repeated down one
side of the block.  Your b pair is line one and the orange pair is line 2.
This assumes that the cable is CAT5 4 pair cable.  If your cable is 2 pair
then its most likely R, G for line one and Y, B for line 2.

You'll want to make sure that your second line is punched down and then
jumpered over to you jack runs.  If line 2 is dead on all jacks then I'd
suspect that it isn't punch down on the block at all.  If dead on only a few
jacks, say the ba*t, then I'd suspect that when the ba*t was
finished only line one was jumpered on the block for those new jacks in the
ba*t.

HTH

--

Rob

Quote:> I don't know if this is the right group to be asking this question in,
> but perhaps someone can help me out.

> I have a rats nest of phone wires converging on something called a
> "66B4-B Jumper Block" down in my ba*t.  I have phone jacks with
> 4-wire line at various locations in the ba*t, and I can only get
> one line to work although we have 2 lines in the house.  I bought a
> little LED tester that plugs into the phone jack, and it checks for
> crossed wires, whether there's 2 lines present, and other things.  I
> suspect that something is screwed up at the jumper block because it's
> just too easy to snag a wire there out in the open and pull it loose.

> Rather than calling in the phone company, or spending $100 on
> something called a tone generator, is there any cheaper way to find
> out what's wrong with this line?

> And if a tone generator kit is the only answer, can anyone tell me
> where I can get the bare minimum unit new or used?

> Thanks in advance for any/all help.

> Mike

Need help with Tracing Phone Line

Post by drgra.. » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 07:38:35

Rob...

If you'd allow me to, I'll send you a gif diagram of the jumper block.
maybe you can make heads or tails of it.  But thanks for the tip on
the correct NG.

Mike

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 12:11:59 -0400, "Robert R Kircher, Jr."

>First off a better group for this questions would be comp.dcom.cabling,
>however I'll give you an answer to you question here.

>A tone generator is exactly what you need.  You should be able to pick on up
>for a reasonable price at Home Depot or Lowes or any other larger home
>center.

>What you going to do is plug the sending unit into the jack at the wall and
>then use the receiver to locate the wires at the block.  Now remember that
>the sending unit will only send tone down the line one pair (usually blue,
>blue/white) but once you find that pair is should be easy to locate the
>actual cable and find the orange pair and where it's punched down.

>If you phones were wired correctly for two lines than you should see a
>pattern on the 66 block something like b, b/w then o, o/w repeated down one
>side of the block.  Your b pair is line one and the orange pair is line 2.
>This assumes that the cable is CAT5 4 pair cable.  If your cable is 2 pair
>then its most likely R, G for line one and Y, B for line 2.

>You'll want to make sure that your second line is punched down and then
>jumpered over to you jack runs.  If line 2 is dead on all jacks then I'd
>suspect that it isn't punch down on the block at all.  If dead on only a few
>jacks, say the ba*t, then I'd suspect that when the ba*t was
>finished only line one was jumpered on the block for those new jacks in the
>ba*t.

>HTH

Need help with Tracing Phone Line

Post by Robert R Kircher, Jr » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 09:00:15

Sure go ahead and send it.

--

Rob

1. Help Needed - More Phone Lines / More Phones

All this talk about "small" PBXs has got my interest. I have two lines
in my business and plain ol' two line phones on them.  This is okay,
but not great.

I want my modem to be able to dial out on any available line - not
just the one it's hard wired to.

And I'd like to get some of those other nifty features I used to do on
the phones at work. Call transfer. Real Hold (tm).  Possibly some
tracking or billback for calls related to a specific client. etc.

And I'm REAL tired of the phone company telling me what my phones will
and will not do.

Also, I'll probably be adding a third line soon, and don't want to
drop the cash for "three line" stupid phones when I need more
sophistication than that.

What's involved in this? What does the local telco provide me and what
does the on-premise equipment do here? Any cost figures?  Thanks.

2. ECPP PORT + IEEE1284 Cable Lengths

3. NEED 2 LINE PHONE SWITCH - LINE 1 - LINE 2 - HOLD - CONF

4. Question on uudecode

5. What line am I using (tracing a phone jack)

6. drop menu and hyperlinks, please help

7. Do you need a court order to trace a phone?

8. Verification

9. NEED HELP ABOUT PHONE LINE

10. Have 1 phone line & 2 computers Need Help!!

11. Need Help - SupraExpress 56i Sp causing phone line noise.

12. Need help with Supra V90 & Phone Lines