Switch opinions?

Post by Jim Mac » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 01:53:31

I'm looking for a managed GigE copper Layer 3 switch, from 24-32 ports.
I need to mix jumbo frames and standard frames, hence the need for a
routing switch.

The Extreme Summit7i has been recommended, but since we have some HP
switches already in house, I'm also looking at the HP 5308xl switch,
populated with GigE modules.  It's also about half the price.

Does anyone have any opinions or experience regarding these or other
Layer 3 switches in this range?

--
        Jim

Switch opinions?

Post by Geo » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 02:40:22

Jim
      The HP 5308xl doesn't appear to have jumbo frame support.  The HP 9300
Routing switches definitely do support Jumbo on the Gig and 10Gig
interfaces.
Regards,

George Johnston
Logical Solutions for Integration
Clarity in an Unclear World

Quote:> I'm looking for a managed GigE copper Layer 3 switch, from 24-32 ports.
> I need to mix jumbo frames and standard frames, hence the need for a
> routing switch.

> The Extreme Summit7i has been recommended, but since we have some HP
> switches already in house, I'm also looking at the HP 5308xl switch,
> populated with GigE modules.  It's also about half the price.

> Does anyone have any opinions or experience regarding these or other
> Layer 3 switches in this range?

> --
>         Jim

Switch opinions?

Post by Jim Mac » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 02:47:21

> Jim
>       The HP 5308xl doesn't appear to have jumbo frame support.  The
> HP 9300 Routing switches definitely do support Jumbo on the Gig and
> 10Gig interfaces.
> Regards,

> George Johnston
> Logical Solutions for Integration
> Clarity in an Unclear World

Thanks.  I was told that the 53xx line did support jumbos, but if not
then it's definitely a deal-killer... I'll check the specs.  The 9300
line (aka Big Iron) is way outside our price range.

Do you know of any others in the sub-$20K range?

--
        Jim

>> I'm looking for a managed GigE copper Layer 3 switch, from 24-32
>> ports. I need to mix jumbo frames and standard frames, hence the
>> need for a routing switch.

>> The Extreme Summit7i has been recommended, but since we have some HP
>> switches already in house, I'm also looking at the HP 5308xl switch,
>> populated with GigE modules.  It's also about half the price.

>> Does anyone have any opinions or experience regarding these or other
>> Layer 3 switches in this range?

>> --
>>         Jim

1. New building needs new switches - opinions/recommendations?

We are putting a new building up and I'll give you the Cisco solution
first to give a background of what we are looking at. The building has
6 floors, 2 closets on each wing, and 1 datacenter backbone switch. We
will have 450-600 nodes on the network. We are looking at a 6509 in the
core along with 3548s in each wing with some 3524s stacked with the
gigastack module. We will be connecting each wing with 1, 1Gb fiber
connection. We are not data heavy as far as pushing our switches now
(5505 but only about 250 people). We are combining two offices to make
it to the 450 mark.

Ok. So here are the vendors we are looking at:

Nortel
Avaya (ex-Lucent)
Foundry
Extreme

My boss says we get another 20% off of Nortel's stuff as we may buy our
PBX from them. Having worked with Nortel before, but installing a 6009
in place of it... I am not keen on that decision so far. It's my job to
gather info and find out who might give us the best solution.

Whose has good, bad, medicore suggestions from the above vendors
switches?

Thanks

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

2. Using Linux as Client to Win NT Domain

3. Extreme Switches - Opinions?

4. Amiga 3000 battery prob...

5. Cajun P550-R, Cajun P120 switches opinion, please

6. Upgrade 2000 from 98, other language

7. Cisco Catalyst 3500 Switch Deployment Opinions??

8. Dino Dini

9. Opinions/Questions? on switch to 10baseT & 100Mbs??

10. Opinions from those who switched to ISDN

11. OPINIONS: CO Switches, ISDN, and the like...

12. Opinions/Experience?: Linksys 10/100 5-Port Switch, 2-Nic kit

13. Need an opinion on a new switch