VLANing with the 3c905c under Windows 2000?

VLANing with the 3c905c under Windows 2000?

Post by Rob Sco » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 02:06:26

I've got a server with one of these 3com cards in it, actuall the
3c905C-TX-M version which promises to do everything imaginable.

BUT I can't find any way to get it to do VLANs under Windows 2000. It
has options for priority tagging and so on, but I don't find any way
to set up VLANs with it.

I gather that under Window NT 4.0 using the DynamicAccess software, it
was possible to VLAN with this card.

This is an extremely popular card so I think someone could tell me
whether VLANs under Windows 2000 are possible and what I need to do to
achieve it.

Post by ch.. » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 03:49:59

>I've got a server with one of these 3com cards in it, actuall the
>3c905C-TX-M version which promises to do everything imaginable.

>BUT I can't find any way to get it to do VLANs under Windows 2000. It
>has options for priority tagging and so on, but I don't find any way
>to set up VLANs with it.

>I gather that under Window NT 4.0 using the DynamicAccess software, it
>was possible to VLAN with this card.

>This is an extremely popular card so I think someone could tell me
>whether VLANs under Windows 2000 are possible and what I need to do to
>achieve it.

Curious, the 3Com product description says the card supports 802.1Q,
but never mentions vlans.  I'm fairly sure the W2K and 3Com drivers
don't support it, even if the hardware does understand the 802.1q
tagging..

The 3C980 specifically states it supports multiple vlans.

-Chris

Post by Todd Richardso » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 20:52:27

> >I've got a server with one of these 3com cards in it, actuall the
> >3c905C-TX-M version which promises to do everything imaginable.

> >BUT I can't find any way to get it to do VLANs under Windows 2000. It
> >has options for priority tagging and so on, but I don't find any way
> >to set up VLANs with it.

> >I gather that under Window NT 4.0 using the DynamicAccess software, it
> >was possible to VLAN with this card.

> >This is an extremely popular card so I think someone could tell me
> >whether VLANs under Windows 2000 are possible and what I need to do to
> >achieve it.

> Curious, the 3Com product description says the card supports 802.1Q,
> but never mentions vlans.  I'm fairly sure the W2K and 3Com drivers
> don't support it, even if the hardware does understand the 802.1q
> tagging..

> The 3C980 specifically states it supports multiple vlans.

> -Chris

This nic does support vlans, but almost certainly not with the native w2k
drivers.

You need the Dynamic access client software to enable the 802.1Q features of
the 3c905c these are available off the 3Com website at:

http://support.3com.com/nav/dynamic_access-download.htm

This will solve the issue.

Post by Rob Sco » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 21:17:14

> > >I've got a server with one of these 3com cards in it, actuall the
> > >3c905C-TX-M version which promises to do everything imaginable.

> > >BUT I can't find any way to get it to do VLANs under Windows 2000. It
> > >has options for priority tagging and so on, but I don't find any way
> > >to set up VLANs with it.

> > >I gather that under Window NT 4.0 using the DynamicAccess software, it
> > >was possible to VLAN with this card.

> > >This is an extremely popular card so I think someone could tell me
> > >whether VLANs under Windows 2000 are possible and what I need to do to
> > >achieve it.

> > Curious, the 3Com product description says the card supports 802.1Q,
> > but never mentions vlans.  I'm fairly sure the W2K and 3Com drivers
> > don't support it, even if the hardware does understand the 802.1q
> > tagging..

> > The 3C980 specifically states it supports multiple vlans.

> > -Chris

> This nic does support vlans, but almost certainly not with the native w2k
> drivers.

> You need the Dynamic access client software to enable the 802.1Q features of
> the 3c905c these are available off the 3Com website at:

> http://support.3com.com/nav/dynamic_access-download.htm

> This will solve the issue.

The 3com drivers do appear to support 802.1Q features.
The DynamicAccess software appears to only support up to Windows NT
4.0.
If you try to install it on Windows 2000 it fails, reporting that it
isn't a supported operating system.

This is as far as I have been able to get with this problem.

Post by Todd Richardso » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 03:38:18

> > > Curious, the 3Com product description says the card supports 802.1Q,
> > > but never mentions vlans.  I'm fairly sure the W2K and 3Com drivers
> > > don't support it, even if the hardware does understand the 802.1q
> > > tagging..

> > > The 3C980 specifically states it supports multiple vlans.

> > > -Chris

> > This nic does support vlans, but almost certainly not with the native
w2k
> > drivers.

> > You need the Dynamic access client software to enable the 802.1Q
features of
> > the 3c905c these are available off the 3Com website at:

> > http://support.3com.com/nav/dynamic_access-download.htm

> > This will solve the issue.

> The 3com drivers do appear to support 802.1Q features.
> The DynamicAccess software appears to only support up to Windows NT
> 4.0.
> If you try to install it on Windows 2000 it fails, reporting that it
> isn't a supported operating system.

> This is as far as I have been able to get with this problem.

I would doubt there is any further update to this software past this point.

The 3c905C was obsoleted and in practice few if any customers ever had a PC
in more than one VLAN.

So with an obsolete card, working standard drivers and no demand there was
not much point in developing W2K dynamic access drivers. One customer I know
who wanted this functionality in his desktop PCs (so they could sit in the
"normal" VLAN and simultaneously in a data stream vlan for market data used
server nics in each PC but then investment banks didn't lack money then.

So unless someone has beta copies of w2k drivers for the 3c905c I fear you
may have reached a dead end.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

VLANing with the 3c905c under Windows 2000?

Post by Peppe » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 20:46:31

Quote:> If you try to install it on Windows 2000 it fails, reporting that it
> isn't a supported operating system.

I have the same problem. I try to modify te follow register key

NT\CurrentVersion\CurrentVersion

from value 5.0 to 4.0.
The installation continue, but a new error messag is displaied:
"TCP/IP must be installed on this system before..."
I'm working around...

Post by ch.. » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 14:50:22

Quote:>> If you try to install it on Windows 2000 it fails, reporting that it
>> isn't a supported operating system.
>I have the same problem. I try to modify te follow register key

>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
>NT\CurrentVersion\CurrentVersion

>from value 5.0 to 4.0.
>The installation continue, but a new error messag is displaied:
>"TCP/IP must be installed on this system before..."
>I'm working around...

I doubt the NT4 network drivers will work under W2K.  Good luck hosing
your system.

-Chris