pathologic installation of switches participating in STA

pathologic installation of switches participating in STA

Post by Ariel Burbaicki » Fri, 16 May 2003 20:35:01

Hello newsgroup participants,

I have following question:
Is it possible to unintentionally
install switches so, that all or
lions' share of BPDUs are going to
be lost? So that the victim catenet
is constanly out of convergent condition?
If thing like this is indeed possible 2
further questions:
1) Can it be automatically solved( i.e. catenet
    is installed false by humans but is able
     to resolve from such situation)?

2) Is it possible to look at one example
    of such misconfiguration?

Yours sincerely
Ariel Burbaickij

Post by Rich Seife » Sat, 17 May 2003 00:39:02

> I have following question:
> Is it possible to unintentionally
> install switches so, that all or
> lions' share of BPDUs are going to
> be lost? So that the victim catenet
> is constanly out of convergent condition?
> If thing like this is indeed possible 2
> further questions:
> 1) Can it be automatically solved( i.e. catenet
>     is installed false by humans but is able
>      to resolve from such situation)?

> 2) Is it possible to look at one example
>     of such misconfiguration?

Assuming that the devices are standard-compliant and not defective, the
Spanning Tree Protocol will always converge to a stable, fully-connected
topology.

--
Rich Seifert                    Networks and Communications Consulting

(408) 395-5700                  Los Gatos, CA 95033
(408) 395-1966 FAX

1. 3Com Superstack Switch Snap-ins for Managewise

Hi,

I have installed Managewise 2.1 on a single server (4.11 iwsp4) LAN. The
Server is connected directly to the 100MB port of a 3com Switch.
I seem to be having some trouble capturing packets between nodes.
Will Lanalyzer be able to monitor the rest of the LAN or do I need something
extra from 3Com?

I realize that the purpose of a switch is to filter packets, Imay have
bought a chocolate fireguard ;(

TIA

Rick

2. Sintax - Where xx not in (another Select structure)

3. Modem & PBX or Sta. Mux.

4. multiple mailbox problem

5. 16550S- ARE THEY STA?????

6. Does 2.xx Support A2090 with an ST-506 Drive?

7. SupraFAX/Modem v.32bis Sta

8. optical

9. SONY STA-128DSU command set

10. 2 sta LAN

11. Fault-Tolerent Bridge Path using STA.

12. STA

13. Invitation to Participate in Open Source Community