Cajun P333T and P333R (BOOTP problem)

Post by wael menyaw » Tue, 12 Jun 2001 02:01:12

 Hi there,

I wonder if someone can help me with this problem,

The problem is passing DHCP and BOOTP frames through Cajun the P333T
switch!. Does Cajun P333R solve the problem? Is it possible to upgrade from
P333T or P333R? If yes is it software or firmware or hardware?

Your prompt response is  highly appreciated.

Wael Menyawi

Cajun P333T and P333R (BOOTP problem)

Post by Michael Shi » Thu, 14 Jun 2001 11:26:04

The 333T is a layer 2 switch and does not have DHCP/BOOTP relay function.
The 333R does have this function though, unfortunately 333T cannot be
upgraded to 333R through software. Probably you need to get the other box.

Quote:> Hi there,

> I wonder if someone can help me with this problem,

> The problem is passing DHCP and BOOTP frames through Cajun the P333T
> switch!. Does Cajun P333R solve the problem? Is it possible to upgrade
from
> P333T or P333R? If yes is it software or firmware or hardware?

> Your prompt response is  highly appreciated.

> Wael Menyawi

Cajun P333T and P333R (BOOTP problem)

Post by news-server.rochester.rr.co » Thu, 14 Jun 2001 12:39:10

I would presume if the 333T can't pass the BOOTP/DHCP requests to that
service, they must be on seperate VLANs, or the service is on the other side
of a router.  In which case, that router should be set to forward the
requests.   If that service is on a different VLAN, then you might be able
to place both VLANs onto that server link, and the DHCP/BOOTP server should
respond.

Where is your BOOTP/DHCP server with respect to the clients??

> The 333T is a layer 2 switch and does not have DHCP/BOOTP relay function.
> The 333R does have this function though, unfortunately 333T cannot be
> upgraded to 333R through software. Probably you need to get the other box.

> > Hi there,

> > I wonder if someone can help me with this problem,

> > The problem is passing DHCP and BOOTP frames through Cajun the P333T
> > switch!. Does Cajun P333R solve the problem? Is it possible to upgrade
> from
> > P333T or P333R? If yes is it software or firmware or hardware?

> > Your prompt response is  highly appreciated.

> > Wael Menyawi

Cajun P333T and P333R (BOOTP problem)

Post by wael menyaw » Thu, 14 Jun 2001 13:06:25

I did more testing and came to a very interesting situation, if I connected
the BOOTP client to a HUB and then to the Ethernet Switch , everything works
just fine however if I connected the BOOTP client directly to the
Switch......nothing works.
Also, I have tried to turn off auto-negotiating on the Ethernet Switch and
forced the BOOTP port to 10MB but didn't make any difference.
Moreover ...yes when I connected the BOOTP client directly to the Ethernet
Switch, both LED indicators at both devices indicate that the physical layer
is up.

Please note that the BOOTP server was connected directly to the Ethernet
switch in all cases.

help...Ethernet gurus out there ??

Post by M.C. van den Bovenkam » Thu, 14 Jun 2001 17:22:12

> help...Ethernet gurus out there ??

Try disabling Spanning Tree.

                Regards,

--
                        Marco van den Bovenkamp.

        CIO EMEA Network Design Engineer,

        Lucent Technologies Nederland.
        Room: HVS OA307
        Tel.: (+31-35-687)2724

Cajun P333T and P333R (BOOTP problem)

Post by wael menyaw » Fri, 15 Jun 2001 00:48:30

You got it...that's it...it works fine. Thank you very much.

Now I need to know what it is ? The Cajun manuals don't tell me much.

> > help...Ethernet gurus out there ??

> Try disabling Spanning Tree.

> Regards,

> --
>                         Marco van den Bovenkamp.

>         CIO EMEA Network Design Engineer,

>         Lucent Technologies Nederland.
>         Room: HVS OA307
>         Tel.: (+31-35-687)2724

Cajun P333T and P333R (BOOTP problem)

Post by news-server.rochester.rr.co » Fri, 15 Jun 2001 06:13:57

Disabling Spanning Tree is a great suggestion.  If the port is in the
blocking state (around 30 seconds) during the initial boot sequence, this
may be the case.   You may not be able to disable STP on a port only basis.
The fact that it works when a hub is connected seems to validate this
scenario as the likely culprit.   You can check on the STP state through the
console, and you might be able to tweak the STP parameters, or put in some
"do loop" timers to waste time during boot to allow the port to set STP to
forwarding at the port before it sends out its requests.
Let us all know.

Post by M.C. van den Bovenkam » Fri, 15 Jun 2001 17:21:26

> You got it...that's it...it works fine. Thank you very much.

> Now I need to know what it is ? The Cajun manuals don't tell me much.

Yup, that's a common failing of the Cajun manuals. I should know; I have
enough of them :-).Spanning Tree protocol guards for loops in your
network. But it blocks ports where it is activated while it's computing
whether activating the port would create a loop.

Which can play havoc with things like DHCP, as you found out. Most boxes
have something like PortFast (as Cisco calls it) that open the port
while it's doing the calculations. The P33x doesn't (yet).

                Regards,

--
                        Marco van den Bovenkamp.

        CIO EMEA Network Design Engineer,

        Lucent Technologies Nederland.
        Room: HVS OA307
        Tel.: (+31-35-687)2724

1. Cajun P550-R, Cajun P120 switches opinion, please

Dear Colleague,

Here at our university we are considering the purchase of Cajun P550-R and
Cajun P120 switches. We've focused on this equipment because of its performance
tested by Data Communication Magazine and The Tolly Group (network equipment
testing company). We know all pro's about this models, but we also need to know
all con's. Especially we would like to know:
- what is the way of managing used (console, WWW or dedicated software -
  name and version is appreciated)
- if you are managing this equipment from Unix (HP OpenView) or preferably
  Solaris (HP OV or Sun Net Manager) we'd like to know your opinion if all
  works as expected
- technical quality of the equipment (number of failures with recognized
  reasons, less serious but also annoying things like hang-ups etc.)
- the quality of the support (software upgrades, response time etc.)
- other problems arisen so far
- comparision to Cisco 5505 (all aspects)

We appreciate your opinion and any information related.

Thanks in advance,
Darek Dej

--

System Manager at Institute of Automatics
Network Manager at Electrical Engineering Department

2. Link to Word .doc asks for Username and Password

3. BOOTP QUESTION FOR A BOOTP GURU

4. Command line search-and replace for text files

5. Bootp problems with cat6509?

6. Wordpad

7. BOOTP - ip helper-address problem

8. Storage problems while deleting messages

9. Weird BOOTP forwarder problems

10. bootp/dhcp problems with cisco ags+/4000

11. Problems with BOOTP answers...

12. bootp problems over cisco routers....

13. Lucent/Avaya Cajun P120 Switch