RANGE OF WLAN

Post by José Carlos Carvalh » Sat, 24 May 2003 22:29:03

Hi all,

I'm planning to build a WLAN (around a D-Link 22Mbps wireless router and
network cards) with a friend of mine only to share an ADSL connection.

We live in the same building.
He lives in the 1st floor and I'm living on the 3rd floor.

On the 3rd floor I'm in the range of the wireless router?

Thanks.

RANGE OF WLAN

Post by Paul T Wan » Sat, 24 May 2003 22:38:27

Quote:> Hi all,

> I'm planning to build a WLAN (around a D-Link 22Mbps wireless router and
> network cards) with a friend of mine only to share an ADSL connection.

> We live in the same building.
> He lives in the 1st floor and I'm living on the 3rd floor.

> On the 3rd floor I'm in the range of the wireless router?

> Thanks.

Barely if not already out of range. 35 footsteps from the AP in the first
floor to my laptop on the second floor - barely in range - signal unusable.
My house is made of wood.

RANGE OF WLAN

Post by Charles P » Sat, 24 May 2003 23:16:13

The only way to be sure is to buy the hardware and try it out.
3 floors seems that it may be too far for common off the shelf wifi stuff.
I bought an extension antenna cable and put it on my Linksys router that
helped me reach around my house.  I get a good signal now from the ba*t
to the far corner of the first floor (70 feet?) by repositioning the second
antenna. (I don't have a second floor).

Another alternative is to get directional antennas and aim them at each
other.
You can check ebay and elsewhere for some of this stuff, it may not be as
cheap as you would wish though.

Charles

Quote:> Hi all,

> I'm planning to build a WLAN (around a D-Link 22Mbps wireless router and
> network cards) with a friend of mine only to share an ADSL connection.

> We live in the same building.
> He lives in the 1st floor and I'm living on the 3rd floor.

> On the 3rd floor I'm in the range of the wireless router?

> Thanks.

RANGE OF WLAN

Post by Tom B » Mon, 26 May 2003 11:15:51

No personal experience with the gear below but they have high gain
yagi antennas that they go across campus's with. An awful lot of
things will block a 2/5 gig RF signal. Your walls really need to be of
a non-conductive material like wood, glass  or ?

http://www.buffalotech.com/wireless/products/index.php

On Fri, 23 May 2003 14:29:03 +0100, "Jos Carlos Carvalho"

>Hi all,

>I'm planning to build a WLAN (around a D-Link 22Mbps wireless router and
>network cards) with a friend of mine only to share an ADSL connection.

>We live in the same building.
>He lives in the 1st floor and I'm living on the 3rd floor.

>On the 3rd floor I'm in the range of the wireless router?

>Thanks.

RANGE OF WLAN

Post by Jim Mac » Mon, 26 May 2003 22:56:43

> No personal experience with the gear below but they have high gain
> yagi antennas that they go across campus's with. An awful lot of
> things will block a 2/5 gig RF signal. Your walls really need to be of
> a non-conductive material like wood, glass  or ?

Don't assume that "glass" is non-conductive or radio-transparent.  Most
modern office buildings use low-E glass that has been metallized to
reflect infrared.  Guess what else it reflects? :-)

--
        Jim

> http://www.buffalotech.com/wireless/products/index.php

> On Fri, 23 May 2003 14:29:03 +0100, "Jos Carlos Carvalho"

>> Hi all,

>> I'm planning to build a WLAN (around a D-Link 22Mbps wireless router
>> and network cards) with a friend of mine only to share an ADSL
>> connection.

>> We live in the same building.
>> He lives in the 1st floor and I'm living on the 3rd floor.

>> On the 3rd floor I'm in the range of the wireless router?

>> Thanks.

RANGE OF WLAN

Post by Andy Kell » Mon, 26 May 2003 23:08:41

Quote:> Hi all,

> I'm planning to build a WLAN (around a D-Link 22Mbps wireless router and
> network cards) with a friend of mine only to share an ADSL connection.

> We live in the same building.
> He lives in the 1st floor and I'm living on the 3rd floor.

> On the 3rd floor I'm in the range of the wireless router?

I've set up a WLAN at home. The house consists of a ground floor, first
floor & loft. The AP is in the loft and the PCs on the ground floor pick up
a 100% signal.

RANGE OF WLAN

Post by news.pacbell.ne » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 05:22:12

It depends on how much rf interference the signal will have. Everthing from
walls, tv's, plumping pipes, stucco, metal furniture and metal frame
doors/subflooring can hinder the range.

Additionally placement of the AP is crucial. Don't place it near a bathroom
or kitchent where there is lots of metal piping and appliances. Find a store
you can return the product to and buy it for test. These come with a survey
tool so you can gauge your signal strength and that will help you adjust
placement.

You can also purchase an 802.11b repeater (Linksys makes one) that utilizes
WDS to increase your range.

Quote:> Hi all,

> I'm planning to build a WLAN (around a D-Link 22Mbps wireless router and
> network cards) with a friend of mine only to share an ADSL connection.

> We live in the same building.
> He lives in the 1st floor and I'm living on the 3rd floor.

> On the 3rd floor I'm in the range of the wireless router?

> Thanks.

1. WLAN to WLAN bridging over 5 km

My ISP has an office WLAN. I want to make a WLAN at my home and then
connect/bridge it to my ISP over 5 km point to point.

There is a plethora of information regarding the brands of WLAN
equipment and types of commercial/home-grown antennae. I cannot sift
through all that.

Some WLAN adapters do not have external antenna support. Some say you
shouldn't even consider that because access points should be linked to
external antenna since they generate high powered signals.

All in one solution such as Cisco Aironet is very expensive.

For me it would be a multi vendor solution to cut cost. But what
architecture do you guys suggest? What brand for the PC adapter? What
brand and specs for the access point? What cable from the AP to the
external antenna? What type and spec of antenna should I use on the
roof top?

2. PLECS toolbox: bug fixes

3. Long-Range and Ultra-long-range cordless phone tech. info / reviews

4. System 7.5.3 + IDE 1.5 beta = ?

5. Michigan LWAP WLAN Users

6. Codemaster Indy

7. Cisco 350 WLAN and Compaq EVO -WEP

8. Internal error, FrontPage 2000. Ideas please?

9. Thoughts on WEP in WPA WLAN?

10. WLAN PCMCIA card not associated

11. need wlan packet capture

12. Q:Can someone help with Win98 WLAN client "package"?

13. Port Trunking or Resilience over WLAN ?