AUI to AUI cable

Post by david.i.kapal » Wed, 01 Dec 1993 14:43:00

Folks,
        I need to hook an AUI port on a hub to an AUI jack on the back of an
ethernet card.  Sounds simple enough.  So we made a straight through 15 pin
to 15 pin cable (about 2 feet), plugged it in and no joy. The card works
if we use an AUI to TP adapter then plug into a TP port on the hub so I know
that the card and hub are good.  Is there anything special I need to know about
that AUI to AUI cable? Minimum length? Any crossed wires?

Thanks for your help,
        Dave Kapalko

AUI to AUI cable

Post by Marc A. Runk » Wed, 01 Dec 1993 22:44:05

: Folks,
:       I need to hook an AUI port on a hub to an AUI jack on the back of an
: ethernet card.  Sounds simple enough.  So we made a straight through 15 pin
: to 15 pin cable (about 2 feet), plugged it in and no joy. The card works
: if we use an AUI to TP adapter then plug into a TP port on the hub so I know
: that the card and hub are good.  Is there anything special I need to know about
: that AUI to AUI cable? Minimum length? Any crossed wires?

: Thanks for your help,
:       Dave Kapalko

While some people have built AUI to AUI cables and have had them work,
there is no collision detection between the two NIC's, so it's not
really a good idea.  It violates the Ethernet Spec for darn sure.
Spend $70 and get two BNC or TP transceivers, connect them together.
It's worth it to avoid the headaches.

--

Network Analyst                             Of course, this is just my
Registrar's Office * Systems Support Group  tiny, insignificant, humble

AUI to AUI cable

Post by Henry Spenc » Fri, 03 Dec 1993 02:57:24

>    I need to hook an AUI port on a hub to an AUI jack on the back of an
>ethernet card.  Sounds simple enough...

Not as easy as it looks.

Quote:>... Is there anything special I need to know about
>that AUI to AUI cable? Minimum length? Any crossed wires?

The crucial thing you need to know is that there have to be electronics
in the middle.  The AUI interface is quite asymmetrical; there is *no*
equivalent of a null-modem cable to connect one to another without
electronics in between.
--

1. AUI to AUI cable needed HELP!

I need an AUI crossover cable to go from my Fiber transciever to RJ-45,
and to do so I need a 15 pin Crossover AUI cable (I think).

I don't have a crossover, just the straight through.  PLEASE HELP!

Thanks, Dave Hartzell

2. CAVO 2.5a patch

3. AUI to AUI cable

4. Memory Upgrades and More !! Discount Pricing Call Toll Free 1-800-376-1580

5. AUI Trans to AUI Trans cable

6. FrontPage 98

7. AUI-AUI CrossOver Cable

8. Money 99 printing checks