Physical Transmition

Post by rdanee » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 10:13:20

Hello,
I'm looking for information on how data is physcially transmited through a
network, i.e. ethernet. This is lower-level than protocols, crossing into
the field of electronics; I was wondering if anyone might be able to help
out.

Any resources/links/info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
rdaneel

Physical Transmition

Post by Tom Schmid » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 23:27:25

Quote:> Hello,
> I'm looking for information on how data is physcially transmited through a
> network, i.e. ethernet. This is lower-level than protocols, crossing into
> the field of electronics; I was wondering if anyone might be able to help
> out.

> Any resources/links/info would be appreciated.

> Thanks in advance,
> rdaneel

The IEEE now makes 802.x documents available for free download 6 months
after release. That will tell you everything you want to know about layer 1
signaling.
http://standards.ieee.org/getieee802/

Physical Transmition

Post by Jim Moor » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 07:09:08

Try:
Ethernet: The Difinitive Guide
Charles E. Spurgeon
Publisher: O'Reilly & Associates
ISBN: 1565926609

Quote:>Hello,
>I'm looking for information on how data is physcially transmited through a
>network, i.e. ethernet. This is lower-level than protocols, crossing into
>the field of electronics; I was wondering if anyone might be able to help
>out.

>Any resources/links/info would be appreciated.

>Thanks in advance,
>rdaneel

1. Satelite transmitions

I have a satelite link at 512k but it is wasted for the most part
because my current router spends too much time checking the data than
sending data over the pipeline.

Satellite transmissions do not work well with TCP/IP due to the
send/acknowledge design. Due to the inherent nature of satelite
transmitions (510 ms ping on a clear channel) the router experiences
response delays because it waits to much for the acknowlge on its TCP/IP
requests instead of sending data over in the channel.

My digital satelite modem is capable of T1/E1 speeds. It has a V.35
interface.

Does any body know if Cisco has a product or a way to handle this
deficiency via software or routing protocol?

Please reply to my email since I have no clue how to subscribe to this
list....

Thanks.

Fabrizio Acquaviva
Gerente General

AccessInterNet  ....Internet in Ecuador at its best.
PV Maldonado 11515 y El Tablon
Quito, Ecuador

Tel Quito-Ecuador: (593-2) 674-116 or 679-999 670-999 xt 320
Fax Quito-Ecuador: (593-2) 674-116
Tel Miami-USA: (305) 717-5083
Fax Miami-USA: (305) 717-5084
http://www.AccessInter.Net

2. COM+ in ASP.net

3. remote admin

4. optic modems for TV transmition

5. Disk Qoutas

6. transmition rate on voice calls...

7. Checkfree Down.

8. Confusion regarding logical vs. physical drawings

9. HSRP virtual IP on a different subnet as physical interfaces

10. missing physical-layer async command on Cisco 2621?

11. peer-to-peer OSI and physical connection??

12. Load balancing between MPLS-TE tunnels and physical links