Identifying Access Point

Post by Gene Gorokhovs » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 21:48:44

I have a scenario where a portable device with Ethernet connectivity
can be plugged it in a variety of 10/100base-T physical access points.
I would like to identify which particular hookup the device is
connected to (_any_ unique identifier), preferrably to the physical
port level, but some kind of a switch or hub id would also be helpful.
Unfortunately I have no control of the access point network
architecture, it could be a number of interconnected managed or
unmanaged hubs or switches.
I would appreciate some education about whether there is an universal
solution, or perhaps a partial one which works for a particular access
point type.

Gene Gorokhovsky

Identifying Access Point

Post by Glen Herrmannsfeld » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 04:01:39

Quote:> I have a scenario where a portable device with Ethernet connectivity
> can be plugged it in a variety of 10/100base-T physical access points.
> I would like to identify which particular hookup the device is
> connected to (_any_ unique identifier), preferrably to the physical
> port level, but some kind of a switch or hub id would also be helpful.
> Unfortunately I have no control of the access point network
> architecture, it could be a number of interconnected managed or
> unmanaged hubs or switches.

Ethernet does not supply any.  The usual solution (in the IP world) is DHCP,
where a server provides the needed information to each host for that
physical network.

-- glen

1. Wireless point-to-point with three lan cards, no access point

Can I create a point-to-point network architecture with three wireless lan
cards without access point? I currently have a computer set up as gateway to
my cable modem (using Sygate for sharing the internet connection).
Therefore, this computer is equipped with a 100mbps network card wired to
the cable modem and a linksys 11mbps wireless network card. I then have a
laptop using another linksys 11mbps wireless network card which connects to
my gateway computer. Can I now have another laptop with another wireless nic
connect to the same gateway computer without the need or a wireless access
point?

Any help or information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Jan

2. PMMail 1.5 Infelicity

3. point-to-point OR point-to-multi-point ?

4. 5-20 pages for each page with print on?

5. ISDN DIVA card on point to point BRI access

6. Macintosh programming Books (half price)

7. ISDN : point-to-point - point-to-multipoint configuration on cisco

8. Computer Administration

9. Scenario 5: IS-IS routing on Frame Relay Multi-point and Point-to-Point

10. Point-to-point vs Point-to-Multipoint

11. Point to point or Point to Multipoint for ADSL Connections.

12. ISDN: Point-to-Point and Point-to-MultiPoint ??????

13. Euro-ISDN - Point to point - point to multipoint..