Only every 8th multicast packet gets forwarded through switch (3com 4400)

Only every 8th multicast packet gets forwarded through switch (3com 4400)

Post by al » Fri, 06 Jun 2003 09:11:13

On a test bench I have a group of solaris 9 boxes connected to a 3com SS3
4400 switch.  One of the suns is configured to be a NTP multicast server,
and sends out a multicast packet to 224.0.1.1 every 16 seconds.

All of the rest of the suns (6) are setup as NTP multicast clients that
listen to 224.0.1.1

The switch seems to fail to forward all of the multicast packets except for
every 8th one....

The switch is set up in "multicast snoop filtering mode" (I think... the

I have tried powering everything down.  Powering up the switch and then each
of the suns in turn, with the same results.

Anyone every see anything like this?  Since I am new to this switch I am
probably setting it up wrong, but the symptom (describe above) is bazaar.
Help me out please.

thanks.