dns problem with 3CRWE51196

Post by Sebasti » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 18:36:09

I have recently set up a 3com gateway, 3CRWE51196, to my isp. My
problem is that the gateway does not provide me with a good dns.
In the web interface I added my isp's dns:es but my clients gets the
gateways ip-address as dns (192.168.1.1), which does not answer to any
dns requests.
The only workaround I have found so far is to set the dns on my
clients manually. For the desktops it's no problem but I use my laptop
in many different networks and it would be nice if a good dns was
assigned together with the ip address.
Firmware on the gatway is V1.04.01 (isp requires PPTP for
authentication)

Has anybody managed set up their 3CRWE51196 (or similar gateway) to
provide dns?

dns problem with 3CRWE51196

Post by Jacob Westenbac » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 00:03:37

Quote:> I have recently set up a 3com gateway, 3CRWE51196, to my isp. My
> problem is that the gateway does not provide me with a good dns.
> In the web interface I added my isp's dns:es but my clients gets the
> gateways ip-address as dns (192.168.1.1), which does not answer to any
> dns requests.
> The only workaround I have found so far is to set the dns on my
> clients manually. For the desktops it's no problem but I use my laptop
> in many different networks and it would be nice if a good dns was
> assigned together with the ip address.
> Firmware on the gatway is V1.04.01 (isp requires PPTP for
> authentication)

> Has anybody managed set up their 3CRWE51196 (or similar gateway) to
> provide dns?

I am unfamiliar with that device, but your description leads me to believe
that there is a configuration option for "caching dns" or similar label that
is not enabled on the gateway.  My border router (old Addtron) has this
feature and if the client machines are configured for dhcp receive the
router's address as their dns pointer.  If your gateway is a static IP on
the public side, you'll need to insure that it has valid dns pointer(s) from
your ISP in the WAN-side configuration.

JW

Post by Todd Richardso » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 01:12:46

Quote:> I have recently set up a 3com gateway, 3CRWE51196, to my isp. My
> problem is that the gateway does not provide me with a good dns.
> In the web interface I added my isp's dns:es but my clients gets the
> gateways ip-address as dns (192.168.1.1), which does not answer to any
> dns requests.
> The only workaround I have found so far is to set the dns on my
> clients manually. For the desktops it's no problem but I use my laptop
> in many different networks and it would be nice if a good dns was
> assigned together with the ip address.
> Firmware on the gatway is V1.04.01 (isp requires PPTP for
> authentication)

> Has anybody managed set up their 3CRWE51196 (or similar gateway) to
> provide dns?

Make the dns gateway on your clients the same as your ISP. I have the same
gateway and found the same problem.

Incidentally I found that an Apple Powerbook G4 running MAC OS X 10.2.5
discovered the DNS through the gateway with no problem, on Windows PCs fail.

Standards don't you just love em

Post by Sebasti » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 17:18:56

Quote:> > I have recently set up a 3com gateway, 3CRWE51196, to my isp. My
> > problem is that the gateway does not provide me with a good dns.
> > In the web interface I added my isp's dns:es but my clients gets the
> > gateways ip-address as dns (192.168.1.1), which does not answer to any
> > dns requests.
> > The only workaround I have found so far is to set the dns on my
> > clients manually. For the desktops it's no problem but I use my laptop
> > in many different networks and it would be nice if a good dns was
> > assigned together with the ip address.
> > Firmware on the gatway is V1.04.01 (isp requires PPTP for
> > authentication)

> > Has anybody managed set up their 3CRWE51196 (or similar gateway) to
> > provide dns?

> Make the dns gateway on your clients the same as your ISP. I have the same
> gateway and found the same problem.

> Incidentally I found that an Apple Powerbook G4 running MAC OS X 10.2.5
> discovered the DNS through the gateway with no problem, on Windows PCs fail.

> Standards don't you just love em

Strange... My laptop dualboots w2k and linux (debian unstable). I
understand that Mac OS X is a unix clone so my linux dist might be
able to do the same. Anyway, I did some testing yesterday and found
out that the gateway does not respond on port 53 so I guess dns
forwarding is broken on this device/firmware.

Too bad :( I can live with it on my desktop but for the laptop, which
is moved around 2-3 customer sites, office, home, parents house etc I
would really appreciate automatic dns.
Maybe the firmware is hackable ;)

I'm posting though google so I will probably not continue much on this
thread but if someone finds a solution pleas e-mail me.

1. VPN DNS problem. - DNS Server Search order wrong

I have SNET DSL and I use a Linksys router - no problem at all.
Now I have a Cisco 3000 VPN and client and when I create a tunnel I get
assigned an internal nameserver from the tunnel. The problem is when I
lookup addresses the external (SNET Supplied) dns servers are tries first,
and this returns addresses that are from my company's external nameserver.
These are NAT addresses and I need to be returned the internal (real)
address.

If I lookup a server name that has no externally assigned DNS entry, the
client will first try the external DNS and get no answer and try the
internal DNS server and get the correct address returned. This behavior is
wrong and the internal DNS should be tried first.

Also, MS winipcfg only seems to show up to 2 nameserver addresses, even
though I know more are being used.(I checked it with a sniffer). Is there
any utility that will let me see all nameservers assigned and their
priority?

when I connect to my DSL I see the two SNET nameservers in winipcfg. Then I
bring up my VPN tunnel and winipcfg shows me I now have my company's two
internal DNS servers assigned. (I know the SNET ones are still being used
before the internal nameservers.

Any help will be appreciated.

Tom

2. .net 1.1 and remoting security

3. Problem with secondary DNS from primary DNS (WIN2K)

4. Need source for old PBX (Mitel) parts.

5. DNS/DHCP/WINS - solving problems with DHCP and DNS

6. how does purify work?

7. DNS lookup on one domain with DNS for a domain without an internal DNS server

8. Of BridgeBoards and things

9. DNS lookup on one domain with DNS for a domain without an in ternal DNS server

10. DNS Monitoring tools - DNS ping? DNS status?

11. DNS query from outside to internal, public DNS server

12. DNS problem with PIX

13. pix 5.3(2) dns problem