56k data line question

Post by TheAlchemi » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 03:05:10

Hi,

Where I'm working, we've got two main locations, that are currenly
connected by running serial data through a digital 56k line using
DSU's.  We're thinking of changing and connecting our network through
from location 1 to location 2.  I know it would be slower, but if we
were to stop using the 56k line for serial communication, could we
connect this line directly to an ethernet hub on one end, and a
network card on the other, and send a TCP/IP communication through it?
 If not, what equipment would we need to do this?

Thanks, for the help.

Dave

56k data line question

Post by Tom Schmid » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 05:17:08

Quote:> Hi,

> Where I'm working, we've got two main locations, that are currenly
> connected by running serial data through a digital 56k line using
> DSU's.  We're thinking of changing and connecting our network through
> from location 1 to location 2.  I know it would be slower, but if we
> were to stop using the 56k line for serial communication, could we
> connect this line directly to an ethernet hub on one end, and a
> network card on the other, and send a TCP/IP communication through it?
>  If not, what equipment would we need to do this?

> Thanks, for the help.

> Dave

You cannot connect it directly to Ethernet but you have lots of other
options. It all depends on the line.

Is this a dry copper pair between locations?
How long is the circuit?

Assuming this is a dry pair
Use higher speed limited distance modem
Use Home Phone Line Ethernet (HomePNA)
Use DSL equipment

/Tom

1. Confused: 56k Data Lines

Generally speaking, "switched 56" is a service which gives you
synchronous 56k data to a site which you select by dialing a number
which resembles an ordinary phone number. Once connected, it looks to
the CPE just like a leased 56kb line. The advantage is that if you
only use if a few hours a month, your charges will probably be fairly
low. If you use it a lot, it could end up costing you a lot more. I
don't know rates, but generally it's priced on a time basis, rather
than load.

If they're charging you by the hour, best to take that into account.

Ouch! Well, here in NY, the install prices are lower, but they nick you
deeper on the recurring charges.

$395 for a CSU sounds like a pretty good deal to me -- I think even
the cheapest Racal and Cray units are more expensive. A "dumb" 56k CSU
is really little more than a high-speed modem, which is why it is
significantly cheaper than the equipment for switched 56, which
requires some more brains. In either case, it's four wires: two for tx,
two for rx.

Depends. If you can get a 56k CSU that has an RS-232 port, you can run
SLIP, assuming you equip the Mac similarly. Running 56 over RS-232 is
always chancy, though. Be prepared for significant error counts. V.35
is the recommended standard, but then you're going to need to talk
about routers, and that gets pretty expensive.

Sr. Network Support Engineer   201.236.3730
WilTel Data Network Services

2. How to shut off Synchronous mode for IBM664M1H?

3. Confused: 56K Data Lines

4. xml generieren

5. Is 56K dedicated data line cheaper than BRI?

6. service pack 5 problem for SQL Server

7. Custom logo in dtlogin

8. 56k Data vs. 64k Data on BRI

9. Questions regarding ISDN Data Calls with 56k Rate Adaption

10. Data over voice (56K voice) question

11. 56k Testing with ISP's new 56k lines

12. Testing for 56k lines, wo 56k modem?