How to check for noise (oscilloscope?)

Post by Matt Harringt » Fri, 13 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I have a standalone network which connects two devices through their
AUI ports.  AUI cable runs from each device to a 4 port fan-out.  A
small section of the cabling is ribbon cable and the rest is AUI
cable.

The network is in a very noisy environment.  I suspect the ribbon
cable is picking up noise and causing network problems.  Can I hook an
oscilloscope up to check for noise?  Which pins?  I can use the 2
spare ports on the 4 port fan-out to connect to the scope.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt Harrington
Salk Institute

--

1. How to check for noise (oscilloscope?)

I have a standalone network which connects two devices through their
AUI ports.  AUI cable runs from each device to a 4 port fan-out.  A
small section of the cabling is ribbon cable and the rest is AUI
cable.

The network is in a very noisy environment.  I suspect the ribbon
cable is picking up noise and causing network problems.  Can I hook an
oscilloscope up to check for noise?  Which pins?  I can use the 2
spare ports on the 4 port fan-out to connect to the scope.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt Harrington
Salk Institute

--

2. Help! Vuescan batch 35mm color neg with Epson 2450

3. Checking freq response and noise level of phoneline

4. Microsoft Installer window too small. Weird problem

5. signal to noise ratio check?

6. wb, sd, vat, for SGI Irix 5.2

7. Having Telco Check Phone Line for Noise

8. NT and 95 dialin to Cisco 2620

9. May Have a Line Noise Problem -- Is There a Line Noise Test Web Site?

10. Some noise, but good noise

11. snmp error checking which field to check?

12. Cisco Price Check / Reality Check

13. serial port check ? null modem cable check ?