Wireless network to an old compueter (with ISA slot)

Wireless network to an old compueter (with ISA slot)

Post by ryandi » Fri, 30 May 2003 00:43:10

I need to network to my old computer wirelessly (Win95 PC). The
problem is that the machine has only ISA slots. I did a quick search
of both Netgear and Linksys. They seem to only have PCI adaptors. I
don't want to get rid of the old computer because 1) It's good enough
to serve the purpose of surfing the web (by sharing the broad band
connection). 2) It has some files that I want to keep (or need to be
transfered which requires networking anyway).

I'd appreciate any suggestion/recommendation.

Thanks,

----Ryan.

Post by patr.. » Fri, 30 May 2003 01:32:20

>I need to network to my old computer wirelessly (Win95 PC). The
>problem is that the machine has only ISA slots. I did a quick search
>of both Netgear and Linksys. They seem to only have PCI adaptors. I
>don't want to get rid of the old computer because 1) It's good enough
>to serve the purpose of surfing the web (by sharing the broad band
>connection). 2) It has some files that I want to keep (or need to be
>transfered which requires networking anyway).

>I'd appreciate any suggestion/recommendation.

If it's worth about $100 to keep it going, get a WET11:

        http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=432&grid=

(you will probably have to shop around a little for that price)

You connect your existing ethernet device to this little box, and it will
bridge the traffic onto your WAN.

============= For PPP Protocol Analysis, check out SerialView! =============

    Klos Technologies, Inc.                Web:   http://www.klos.com/
===== Why do I keep getting "one time mailings" over and over again?!? =====

Post by Mike Danie » Fri, 30 May 2003 11:43:35

> >I need to network to my old computer wirelessly (Win95 PC). The
> >problem is that the machine has only ISA slots. I did a quick search
> >of both Netgear and Linksys. They seem to only have PCI adaptors. I
> >don't want to get rid of the old computer because 1) It's good enough
> >to serve the purpose of surfing the web (by sharing the broad band
> >connection). 2) It has some files that I want to keep (or need to be
> >transfered which requires networking anyway).

> >I'd appreciate any suggestion/recommendation.

> If it's worth about $100 to keep it going, get a WET11:

>    http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=432&grid=

> (you will probably have to shop around a little for that price)

> You connect your existing ethernet device to this little box, and it will
> bridge the traffic onto your WAN.

How old is this computer that it doesn't have any PCI slots? 486? In my
experience, all Pentium systems, and even some later 486's, had PCI
slots. For $100 you could could probably pick up an early PII on eBay.
Transferring the data is easy. Just plug the old hard drive into it and
drag and drop in Windows.

Mike

Wireless network to an old compueter (with ISA slot)

Post by BIL5G » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 18:11:14

I get 'em from any older computer shop(been around for several years). Cheap
($10) too.

Post by Al Dyk » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 22:20:25

>I get 'em from any older computer shop(been around for several years). Cheap
>($10) too.

if your machine has USB, and it's running Win/98 you buy WiFi that
uses the USB.   I know that's a big IF.

--
Al*s
-----------

Wireless network to an old compueter (with ISA slot)

Post by Geo » Mon, 02 Jun 2003 03:20:16

Ryan,
       You might explore the availability of a PCCard (aka PCMCIA) ISA bus
adapter.  Then you could do multiple things with it.   It would allow you to
insert a variety of PCCard bus cards as you would need them.   Your problem
might be the Win95 driver support.   A good many wireless cards that I've
noticed have software support only back to Win95 Release2.   If that is the
case, updating to at least W95r2 would be required.
Good luck,
George Johnston
Logical Solutions for Integration
Clarity in an Unclear World

Quote:> I need to network to my old computer wirelessly (Win95 PC). The
> problem is that the machine has only ISA slots. I did a quick search
> of both Netgear and Linksys. They seem to only have PCI adaptors. I
> don't want to get rid of the old computer because 1) It's good enough
> to serve the purpose of surfing the web (by sharing the broad band
> connection). 2) It has some files that I want to keep (or need to be
> transfered which requires networking anyway).

> I'd appreciate any suggestion/recommendation.

> Thanks,

> ----Ryan.

Wireless network to an old compueter (with ISA slot)

Post by Geo » Mon, 02 Jun 2003 03:34:24

Ryan!
       I found exactly what will work for you, with the proper drivers for
Win95 at
http://broadband.earthlink.net/home-networking/hardware/orinoco/isa_p...
     The source of the hardware and software is from Lucent for their
ORiNOCO WaveLan cards.   You can find all of the platform solutions at
http://broadband.earthlink.net/home-networking/hardware/orinoco/index...

Enjoy,

Post by Gary Tai » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 05:24:49

>>I get 'em from any older computer shop(been around for several years). Cheap
>>($10) too.

>if your machine has USB, and it's running Win/98 you buy WiFi that
>uses the USB.   I know that's a big IF.

A lack of PCI means a definate lack of USB.

My opinion, if you insist on not hardwiring eith ethernet (where ISA
NICs abound) Use an ISA NIC, and a Wi-Fi to Ethernet bridge.

You might also look into getting an ISA PCMCIA slot adaptor,and use a
PCMCIA Wi-Fi card.