Buying short cables?

Post by Daniel Rosenzwe » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 10:42:50

Where can short (a matter of INCHES - or one foot) Ethernet cables be
purchased? Thanks

Buying short cables?

Post by Jacob Westenbac » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 23:39:56

Quote:> Where can short (a matter of INCHES - or one foot) Ethernet cables be
> purchased? Thanks

Shortest cat-5 lines I can recall seeing commercially are 18" from Altex
Electronics (www.altex.com).

JW

Buying short cables?

Post by ch.. » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 09:05:50

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 14:39:56 GMT, "Jacob Westenbach"

>> Where can short (a matter of INCHES - or one foot) Ethernet cables be
>> purchased? Thanks

>Shortest cat-5 lines I can recall seeing commercially are 18" from Altex
>Electronics (www.altex.com).

I've purchased 1-ft cables before - don't remember where though.  If
you only need a few, buy the cable, connectors, and a crimper.

Buying short cables?

Post by GR » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 11:35:49

Isn't there a limit that , in order to avoid standing wave problems, the
cable must be longer than a certain amount?
gr

Quote:> Where can short (a matter of INCHES - or one foot) Ethernet cables be
> purchased? Thanks

Buying short cables?

Post by Stuart Robins » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 16:08:00

Quote:> Isn't there a limit that , in order to avoid standing wave problems, the
> cable must be longer than a certain amount?

Thats true for Co-ax cables but there is no minimum length specified for
UTP cables.

Stuart.

Buying short cables?

Post by Neill Massel » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 17:13:46

> Where can short (a matter of INCHES - or one foot) Ethernet cables be
> purchased? Thanks

CDW <http://www.cdw.com> and Tech Depot <http://www.techdepot.com> sell
one foot Cat5e Ethernet patch and crossover cables.

Buying short cables?

Post by Neill Massel » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 17:13:51

> Isn't there a limit that , in order to avoid standing wave problems, the
> cable must be longer than a certain amount?

That applies to coax (10Base2 and 10Base5), not to twisted pair
(10BaseT).

Buying short cables?

Post by St » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 17:54:12

> Where can short (a matter of INCHES - or one foot) Ethernet cables be
> purchased? Thanks

The shortest I've ever come across is 50cm (1 1/2ft). We get our
commercially from Mayflex, but not sure if they are available in the
States. Never had any problems and we get them in straights and
x-overs , never had any probles with them.

Stu..

Buying short cables?

Post by Geo » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 02:10:39

Hi,
       You might try www.buycablesnow.com, as I've found them selling 1 foot
Cat5E cables at 55 cents per one at a time.

Good luck.
George Johnston

Logical Solutions for Integration
Clarity in an Unclear World

Quote:> Where can short (a matter of INCHES - or one foot) Ethernet cables be
> purchased? Thanks

Buying short cables?

Post by Robert Redelmeie » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 02:12:48

> Isn't there a limit that , in order to avoid standing wave problems,
> the cable must be longer than a certain amount?

Short answer:  Nope, not on 10baseT, 100baseTX or 1000baseT.
               there were specs on 10base2 and 10base5.

Longer answer:  At 100 MHz, wavelength in copper is ~2m.
Anything longer than 1/4 wave (50 cm) can function as an
antenna (form standing waves) if tuned.

I've successfully used extremely short cables 3"/7cm between
two ethercards in one machine.  The shortest I've ever used
is 1.2"/3cm total copper inside a loopback plug.

-- Robert

Buying short cables?

Post by Glen Herrmannsfeld » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 01:09:09

> > Isn't there a limit that , in order to avoid standing wave problems, the
> > cable must be longer than a certain amount?

> That applies to coax (10Base2 and 10Base5), not to twisted pair
> (10BaseT).

Well, coax would work fine with a short cable.  What does not work well is a
long cable with many taps lumped together near one point.   The tap spacing
rule was designed to remove that possibility.

A properly terminated transmission line does not have standing waves.

-- glen

Buying short cables?

Post by Neill Massel » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 04:04:59

> Well, coax would work fine with a short cable.  What does not work well is a
> long cable with many taps lumped together near one point.   The tap spacing
> rule was designed to remove that possibility.

Didn't 10Base2 specify a minimum length of 0.5 meters for a segment?

Buying short cables?

Post by Daniel Rosenzwe » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 10:55:50

Wow... Thanks to everyone for all their responses! Alot of websites I
never knew existed...

> Hi,
>        You might try www.buycablesnow.com, as I've found them selling 1 foot
> Cat5E cables at 55 cents per one at a time.

> Good luck.
> George Johnston

> Logical Solutions for Integration
> Clarity in an Unclear World

> > Where can short (a matter of INCHES - or one foot) Ethernet cables be
> > purchased? Thanks

1. TiVo, Best Buy Teamed to Deliver Short Film by Standard Film

                       Living Rooms of TiVo Households

   Best Buy Sponsored Short Film 'Waiting for Woody' Written, Starring and
    Directed by Grant Heslov and Featuring Performances by George Clooney,
       Jennifer Aniston, Richard Kind, Samantha Mathis and Tate Donovan

SAN JOSE, Calif., Jan. 2 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- TiVo
(NASDAQ:TIVO), the creator of and leader in television services for
digital video recorders (DVR), achieved yet another landmark this week
when it became the first DVR to team with an advertising partner, Best
Buy, to deliver original content that features some of the top names
in Hollywood.  "Waiting for Woody," a 30-minute short film produced by
the Standard Film Trust of Los Angeles, includes appearances from
Hollywood luminaries George Clooney and Jennifer Aniston. It made its
TiVo debut on Jan. 1.

http://finance.lycos.com/home/news/story.asp?story=30739068

2. dctv gvpIO

3. Anybody interested in buying my CNE Short Course books (and others) ?

4. fs: os/2 warp connect 3.0

5. short question needs short answer

6. FORSALE: games

7. Knology to buy FL cable system, add cable internet

8. FA: {$0.01} 3 AMIGA CD32 Games

9. OT: Short eth crossover cable?

10. Cable shorting router?

11. SHORT Cat5 Patch Cable Source?