Windows NT & FS98 & Sidewinder

Post by hackl.. » Fri, 05 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I'm running Windows NT 4 and would like to run FS98. On the box it
does list NT as a OS.

But looking at the Sidewinder's all of them list only win95. Can any
one tell me if the Sidewinders will work with NT 4 and recomend any.

Will I need to download any new drivers for them to work?
Will I have more problems than this by running NT 4

Thanks

Jeff

Windows NT & FS98 & Sidewinder

Post by llev » Fri, 05 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm running Windows NT 4 and would like to run FS98. On the box it
>does list NT as a OS.

>But looking at the Sidewinder's all of them list only win95. Can any
>one tell me if the Sidewinders will work with NT 4 and recomend any.

>Will I need to download any new drivers for them to work?
>Will I have more problems than this by running NT 4

>Thanks

>Jeff

I bought the FS98 to run under NT with the Sidewinder  3D Pro. I t never
worked for me. What I had to do eventually is install Win95  and then all
worked fine. As much as I love NT, I am thru wasting my time trying to get
games or devices to work  with it.

Good Luck

Windows NT & FS98 & Sidewinder

Post by John Dekke » Fri, 05 Dec 1997 04:00:00

 it worked the first time for me, out of the box, joystick drivers and
everything. there's nothing like flying along, replying and receiving email,
and browsing the news groups, all at the same time with acceptable
performance. no 3d cards - though and no drivers for the force feedback
joystick

jd

Quote:>I'm running Windows NT 4 and would like to run FS98. On the box it
>does list NT as a OS.

>But looking at the Sidewinder's all of them list only win95. Can any
>one tell me if the Sidewinders will work with NT 4 and recomend any.

>Will I need to download any new drivers for them to work?
>Will I have more problems than this by running NT 4

>Thanks

>Jeff

Windows NT & FS98 & Sidewinder

Post by Sten Westerbac » Sat, 06 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I've been running FS98 on NT4 too for a while and it does work
even if i only have a 120 MHz Pentium and 96 MB memory.
However, i did get problems when i installed Microsoft's
Converter (FS98Conv) as the setup replaced the files
cfgmgr32.dll and setupapi.dll with newer version (4.0=>5.0)
which didn't work in NT4. With the newer DLL's, which according
to the setup's INF-file is supported on NT, many Control panel
applet (like Modems, Devices, Add&Remove...) stopped working.
Restoring the files from NT4 CD to winnt\system32 helped solve
the problems.

It also puzzles me that NT4 still can't use hardware Direct3D
nor the feedback sidewinder. Hope they will get those working
in the real operating system soon as i don't wan't to get and
install the Win95 user interface for DOS just to be able to use
my Matrox Mystique  220Mhz's hardware Direct3D. Or perhaps
there isn't much difference between hardware 3D and NT's
software based 3D?

- Sten

>  it worked the first time for me, out of the box, joystick drivers and
> everything. there's nothing like flying along, replying and receiving email,
> and browsing the news groups, all at the same time with acceptable
> performance. no 3d cards - though and no drivers for the force feedback
> joystick

> jd

> >I'm running Windows NT 4 and would like to run FS98. On the box it
> >does list NT as a OS.

> >But looking at the Sidewinder's all of them list only win95. Can any
> >one tell me if the Sidewinders will work with NT 4 and recomend any.

> >Will I need to download any new drivers for them to work?
> >Will I have more problems than this by running NT 4

> >Thanks

> >Jeff

Windows NT & FS98 & Sidewinder

Post by Sten Westerbac » Sat, 06 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> I'm running Windows NT 4 and would like to run FS98. On the box it
> does list NT as a OS.

> But looking at the Sidewinder's all of them list only win95. Can any
> one tell me if the Sidewinders will work with NT 4 and recomend any.

> Will I need to download any new drivers for them to work?
> Will I have more problems than this by running NT 4

Sidewinder feedback won't work and NT4 doesn't support
Direct3D drivers for NT4 but NT do have software Direct3D.

One problem i'm having is that the Multiplayer menu is grayed
out even if i have DUN running. Or perhaps i need to visit
the URL mentioned in the help first and let them contact
my FS98?

- Sten

Windows NT & FS98 & Sidewinder

Post by Sten Westerbac » Sat, 06 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> I've been running FS98 on NT4 too for a while and it does work
> even if i only have a 120 MHz Pentium and 96 MB memory.
> However, i did get problems when i installed Microsoft's
> Converter (FS98Conv) as the setup replaced the files
> cfgmgr32.dll and setupapi.dll with newer version (4.0=>5.0)
> which didn't work in NT4. With the newer DLL's, which according
> to the setup's INF-file is supported on NT, many Control panel
> applet (like Modems, Devices, Add&Remove...) stopped working.
> Restoring the files from NT4 CD to winnt\system32 helped solve
> the problems.

> It also puzzles me that NT4 still can't use hardware Direct3D
> nor the feedback sidewinder. Hope they will get those working
> in the real operating system soon as i don't wan't to get and
> install the Win95 user interface for DOS just to be able to use
> my Matrox Mystique  220Mhz's hardware Direct3D. Or perhaps
> there isn't much difference between hardware 3D and NT's
> software based 3D?

Two additions to my story:
1. Multiplayer menu item is grayed out independent of if
   Internet is connected or not.
2. Lession/Adventure voices are not present on other
   accounts than the Administrator. I haven't yet
   found out why as folder/file permissions should be
   sufficient and it doesn't store much information
   in the registry. Any idea?

- Sten

Windows NT & FS98 & Sidewinder

Post by Scott Brazel » Sat, 06 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> I've been running FS98 on NT4 too for a while and it does work
> even if i only have a 120 MHz Pentium and 96 MB memory.
> However, i did get problems when i installed Microsoft's
> Converter (FS98Conv) as the setup replaced the files
> cfgmgr32.dll and setupapi.dll with newer version (4.0=>5.0)
> which didn't work in NT4. With the newer DLL's, which according
> to the setup's INF-file is supported on NT, many Control panel
> applet (like Modems, Devices, Add&Remove...) stopped working.
> Restoring the files from NT4 CD to winnt\system32 helped solve
> the problems.

> It also puzzles me that NT4 still can't use hardware Direct3D
> nor the feedback sidewinder. Hope they will get those working
> in the real operating system soon as i don't wan't to get and
> install the Win95 user interface for DOS just to be able to use
> my Matrox Mystique  220Mhz's hardware Direct3D. Or perhaps
> there isn't much difference between hardware 3D and NT's
> software based 3D?

> - Sten

> >  it worked the first time for me, out of the box, joystick drivers and
> > everything. there's nothing like flying along, replying and receiving email,
> > and browsing the news groups, all at the same time with acceptable
> > performance. no 3d cards - though and no drivers for the force feedback
> > joystick

> > jd

> > >I'm running Windows NT 4 and would like to run FS98. On the box it
> > >does list NT as a OS.

> > >But looking at the Sidewinder's all of them list only win95. Can any
> > >one tell me if the Sidewinders will work with NT 4 and recomend any.

> > >Will I need to download any new drivers for them to work?
> > >Will I have more problems than this by running NT 4

> > >Thanks

> > >Jeff

If you installed the aircraft converter for FS98 on an NT machine, I
would suggest going to the MS flightsim website and taking a look at the
writeup concerning this, there is supposed to be a new version of the
converter for NT machines.

 http://www.microsoft.com/games/fsim/

look under news

--
Scott Brazell
University of Oklahoma

Windows NT & FS98 & Sidewinder

Post by Tim Gregso » Sun, 07 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hi Sten,

Quote:>One problem i'm having is that the Multiplayer menu is grayed
>out even if i have DUN running. Or perhaps i need to visit
>the URL mentioned in the help first and let them contact
>my FS98?

When you installed FS98 on your NT system, did you also click the button to
install DirectPlay?  If not, rerun the FS98 setup program and click on the
Install DirectPlay (or it might say Reinstall DirectPlay).  Try that and see
if it works.  The only reason that FS98 will gray out the MP menu item is if
it can't find DPLAY.DLL or if it fails to load (possibly because some other
DLL is missing maybe).  Hopefully the reinstall of DirectPlay should fix
this.

Tim