Beginner Help?!!

Post by Howard Klei » Sun, 25 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I just got FS98 and it looks great.  However, it's my first sim and I'm a
novice.  I find it extremely frustrating that there's no way to learn the
basics.  I was hoping there would be a way to practice landing after
landing, for example...or if there was a cohesive flight lesson sequence,
like takeoffs, followed by turns, followed by landings, etc....

Am I missing something?  How did you all learn to fly the sims?

Please help, as I keep crashing or missing the runway!!!

Thanks a lot!

Howard in NYC

Beginner Help?!!

Post by Bob Cardo » Sun, 25 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>I just got FS98 and it looks great.  However, it's my first sim and I'm a
>novice.  I find it extremely frustrating that there's no way to learn the
>basics.  I was hoping there would be a way to practice landing after
>landing, for example...or if there was a cohesive flight lesson sequence,
>like takeoffs, followed by turns, followed by landings, etc....

>Am I missing something?  How did you all learn to fly the sims?

>Please help, as I keep crashing or missing the runway!!!

>Thanks a lot!

>Howard in NYC

Try the Flight Lessons. I believe one of the lessons is set up as a
landing lesson but it goes over the patterns and slow flight and all
the stuff you need to learn. Just practice.

             Bob Cardone

Most Crashes are caused by Pilot Error

                (*)
     ************************
         (*)           (*)
Noble Airlines
Boston HUB
Commercial Captain
NBL2139 on Squawkbox

Beginner Help?!!

Post by Sentenz » Sun, 25 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hi Howard Klein,

You might want to give Steve's Flight School a try at
http://super.zippo.com/~flight/

I don't know how good it is, as I have never tried it, but it has been
highly recommended by others. To answer your last question: I learned by
trial and error ("painful" but effective). If you asked me what the three
most important things were that I learned, I'd have to answer, off the top
of my head: setting proper trim, watching your vertical speed and watching
your horizontal speed (obviously, others may think differently).

Oh, and don't forget to lower your gear before you land! ;-)

HTH

Mike
Noble Air FRA
CC 1312
"No matter where you want to go ... one of our pilots will have the
appropriate scenery."

Quote:>I just got FS98 and it looks great.  However, it's my first sim and I'm a
>novice.  I find it extremely frustrating that there's no way to learn the
>basics.  I was hoping there would be a way to practice landing after
>landing, for example...or if there was a cohesive flight lesson sequence,
>like takeoffs, followed by turns, followed by landings, etc....

>Am I missing something?  How did you all learn to fly the sims?

>Please help, as I keep crashing or missing the runway!!!

>Thanks a lot!

>Howard in NYC

Beginner Help?!!

Post by Dudley Brook » Sun, 25 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Try the lessons, they are in the flights menu.   They are a good place to
start.  There is enough there to get you off the tarmac and land again with
the Cessna at Miegs.  Which is where most of us here started I suspect, I
know I did.

Dudley Brooke

Beginner Help?!!

Post by Neil » Mon, 26 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> I just got FS98 and it looks great.  However, it's my first sim and I'm a
> novice.  I find it extremely frustrating that there's no way to learn the
> basics.  I was hoping there would be a way to practice landing after
> landing, for example...or if there was a cohesive flight lesson sequence,
> like takeoffs, followed by turns, followed by landings, etc....

> Am I missing something?  How did you all learn to fly the sims?

> Please help, as I keep crashing or missing the runway!!!

> Thanks a lot!

> Howard in NYC

    Strangely enough, I came to FS98 having flown quite a bit on real
aircraft and I was wondering the same thing as to how newcomers would
learn!   I think that as someone has suggested try the simpler lessons
first.    Select a flight such as the San Francisco Bay Area Tour which will
set you off in straight and level flight.   Practice S&L holding a heading on
the DI (Direction Indicator) which is under the AI (Attitude Indicator,
formerly known as the artificial horizon),  and maintaining a constant
altitude.    Forget the more complex aircraft, stick to the 182S or RG until
you get the basics down.   Next, practice turns and climbs and descents.   To
climb raise the nose 10-15 degrees on the horizon and hold.  Once the speed
bleeds to 80kts add full power and maintain that airspeed.    To descend
reduce power and lower the nose.   Either perform a cruise descent (120 knots
or so) or after the power reduction hold your altitude until the speed
reaches 80 knots then lower the nose to maintain that airspeed(15" manifold
pressure will give you a comfortable descent rate, but don't worry too much
about that initially).     A traffic pattern is a very complex procedure to
fly as it incorporates many different phases and speeds of flight,  so don't
kick yourself if it takes a while to master.    Remember for the turns (30
degree banks are ideal) that slight back pressure is required on the stick to
maintain a constant altitude.     Good luck!     Neil.

Beginner Help?!!

Post by jcalver » Tue, 27 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> I just got FS98 and it looks great.  However, it's my first sim and I'm a
> novice.  I find it extremely frustrating that there's no way to learn the
> basics.  I was hoping there would be a way to practice landing after
> landing, for example...or if there was a cohesive flight lesson sequence,
> like takeoffs, followed by turns, followed by landings, etc....

> Am I missing something?  How did you all learn to fly the sims?

> Please help, as I keep crashing or missing the runway!!!

> Thanks a lot!

> Howard in NYC

Well, like you, I am fairly new at FS98. Mine was purchased in November
and I love it. My initial reaction, especially after viewing the Grand
Canyon scenery, was a little negative. It seemed really crude. But then
I started discovering how upgradeable FS98 is - in that you can add new
aircraft, new and better scenery, new sounds, new weather, new
instruments, etc. from multiple sources FREE on the internet.
http://www.flightsim.com is a good place to start.

Anyway I found that the learning curve, just like in real flying, is
steep at first. But then, with practice, your skills will develop. Good
luck and have fun!

Beginner Help?!!

Post by Bud » Tue, 27 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hi Bob, Perhaps you can help.  How can I get my MS Sidewinders
throttle control to work in FS98.  It worked fing in FS5.1, & FS95.
Everything works in 98 except the throttle.  Any help would be
appreciated.

Bud

1. Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 ED - Beginners help.

Good day to you all.

I have just purchased the Nikon SUper Coolscan 4000 ED and have spent
a couple of days trying to scan my negatives.

However, the results I get are quite poor so I must be missing
something.

Is there any resource where I can learn how to scan correctly? How did
you guys (and girls) go about it?

Helena

2. Serial Cariage return !!

3. Beginners help required - connecting external SCSI to AHA-2940 with internal drives

4. IStats problem on Windows 2000

5. Beginner Help - BS2

6. where to find a used 5mx?

7. Visual Basic in Excel 97 - Beginners Help Please.

8. one-column and two-column formatted text

9. Beginner Help - BS2

10. Beginner help!

11. Beginner Help?

12. Beginner help