Sidewinder 3D Pro joystick not working with FS98

Sidewinder 3D Pro joystick not working with FS98

Post by Peter Horvat » Sun, 21 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I have the exact same problem as well, word for word.  The joystick works
well with other games.....what a pain.  I even tried uninstalling my
joystick and then re installing it as well.  Microsoft should really
address this joystick problem immediately.

Quote:> My Sidewinder 3D Pro joystick is not working with FS98.  The joystick
button
> is grayed out and there is no way to activate it.  The joystick appears
in
> the Control Panel, and when I test it it works fine.  In fact it worked
fine
> with Flight Simulator for Windows 95.

Sidewinder 3D Pro joystick not working with FS98

Post by Maurice Prat » Sun, 21 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Some FS98 users may be experiencing a problem with the Sidewinder 3D Pro
joystick not being recognized by FS98 -- or only intermittently with
unsatisfactory operation. I've discovered a solution after struggling
with this these past 3 days.

In my situation, I had both DirectX v. 5.0 and the Sidewinder ver. 1.5
(the most recent) drivers installed already when I installed FS98. It
turns out that DirectX also installs an apparently specially-tailored
driver *unless* it sees ver 1.5 already there. So the solution is:

1. Uninstall the SW v. 1.5 driver (I used the Sidewinder uninstall
applet that was in the Programs|Microsoft Hardware Start menu).

2. Reinstall DirectX v 5.0 Note: reinstalling over v. 1.5 didn't work;
installing over the original l.0 joystick driver (I had gone back to)
did work.

Another thing, and this may be specific to machines that have the S3
ViRGE graphics board (also with a 3Dfx-based card in my case); DirectX
offered to replace the S3 driver, but as I had the most recent version,
I took the DirectX dialog's advice not to replace it. Big mistake. When
I re-installed DirectX today, I let it replace the S3 driver anyway --
that may be part of the solution, as "Dxinfo.exe" now reports that the
S3 driver is "certified."

--
Regards,

Maury
ICQ uid=3257512

Sidewinder 3D Pro joystick not working with FS98

Post by Mike [MS MVP » Mon, 22 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Hi gents,

Maurice Pratt has struggled mightily with the SW problem and seems to have
hit on the solution. If these steps aren't correct I'm hoping he'll drop by
and give you the straight scoop! <g>

Uninstall (from the Control Panel's Add/remove software icon) the existing
Sidewinder drivers then reinstall DirectX v.5. You can do that from the
opening screen in FS98 or from a program named DXSETUP.EXE on the
distribution CD.

--
-= Mike =-
-= MS MVP =-

>My Sidewinder 3D Pro joystick is not working with FS98.  The joystick
button
>is grayed out and there is no way to activate it.  The joystick appears in
>the Control Panel, and when I test it it works fine.  In fact it worked
fine
>with Flight Simulator for Windows 95.

Sidewinder 3D Pro joystick not working with FS98

Post by Mike [MS MVP » Mon, 22 Sep 1997 04:00:00

What happened when you followed the process outlined a couple of messages
above, i.e. the method of Maury?

IMO it's something that's happening in the DirectX 5 install when certain
conditions exist on the destination system.  I'm told the (internal to MS)
development and test machines virtually all had Sidewinders connected via a
sound card joystick connection. I've dug out my Sidewinder 3D Pro and will
try it when I have the opportunity to do so. I'll report the results in this
newsgroup as well as passing them on to the relevant people at MS.

--
-= Mike =-
-= MS MVP =-

> I was having the same problem.  I now have this working without Sidewinder
>1.5 software installed.

>I removed the Sidewinder SW and told Windows I had a 3 axis 4 button
>joystick.  Went back into FS98 and it worked.  I then reinstalled the
>Sidewinder 1.5 SW and the joystick toggle was not available...

>As far as I can see, this is a problem with FS98 and the Sidewinder
>software.

>Mike, has this been escalated to development?  What information do they
need
>to troubleshoot or have they been able to duplicate the problem?

>Mike A

>Mike [MS MVP] wrote in article ...

>>Hi gents,

>>Maurice Pratt has struggled mightily with the SW problem and seems to have
>>hit on the solution. If these steps aren't correct I'm hoping he'll drop
by
>>and give you the straight scoop! <g>

>>Uninstall (from the Control Panel's Add/remove software icon) the existing
>>Sidewinder drivers then reinstall DirectX v.5. You can do that from the
>>opening screen in FS98 or from a program named DXSETUP.EXE on the
>>distribution CD.

>>--
>>-= Mike =-
>>-= MS MVP =-

>>>My Sidewinder 3D Pro joystick is not working with FS98.  The joystick
>>button
>>>is grayed out and there is no way to activate it.  The joystick appears
in
>>>the Control Panel, and when I test it it works fine.  In fact it worked
>>fine
>>>with Flight Simulator for Windows 95.

Sidewinder 3D Pro joystick not working with FS98

Post by Peter Horvat » Mon, 22 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I tried Mike's solution and was unsuccessful at solving this dilemma,
highly recommend a REAL solution, this is rediculous!!!!!1

>  I was having the same problem.  I now have this working without
Sidewinder
> 1.5 software installed.

> I removed the Sidewinder SW and told Windows I had a 3 axis 4 button
> joystick.  Went back into FS98 and it worked.  I then reinstalled the
> Sidewinder 1.5 SW and the joystick toggle was not available...

> As far as I can see, this is a problem with FS98 and the Sidewinder
> software.

> Mike, has this been escalated to development?  What information do they
need
> to troubleshoot or have they been able to duplicate the problem?

> Mike A

> Mike [MS MVP] wrote in article ...

> >Hi gents,

> >Maurice Pratt has struggled mightily with the SW problem and seems to
have
> >hit on the solution. If these steps aren't correct I'm hoping he'll drop
by
> >and give you the straight scoop! <g>

> >Uninstall (from the Control Panel's Add/remove software icon) the
existing
> >Sidewinder drivers then reinstall DirectX v.5. You can do that from the
> >opening screen in FS98 or from a program named DXSETUP.EXE on the
> >distribution CD.

> >--
> >-= Mike =-
> >-= MS MVP =-

> >>My Sidewinder 3D Pro joystick is not working with FS98.  The joystick
> >button
> >>is grayed out and there is no way to activate it.  The joystick appears
in
> >>the Control Panel, and when I test it it works fine.  In fact it worked
> >fine
> >>with Flight Simulator for Windows 95.

Sidewinder 3D Pro joystick not working with FS98

Post by Maurice Prat » Mon, 22 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Mike, thanks for your followup. And your "rephrasing" of my solution was
certainly succinct <g>. Yes, you got it right. The key, I think, is to
just forget about the SW v. 1.5 drivers once you've gone through this
exercise; DirectX 5.0 seems to install what's needed, anyway. (I didn't
know that; stumbled on it by accident.)

Maybe the forthcoming SW v. 2.0 drivers will correct this "unusual"
configuration scenario: the only common denomenator I can think of is
having an integrated sound/game controller board (the Yamaha OPL-SA) --
and maybe somehow a cross-effect with the primary video driver. I went
ahead and installed DirectX's certified S3v driver, even though I hadn't
before, because the DirectX installation dialog suggested I not change
it.

Just offering clues for the development team <g>.

> What happened when you followed the process outlined a couple of messages
> above, i.e. the method of Maury?

> IMO it's something that's happening in the DirectX 5 install when certain
> conditions exist on the destination system.  I'm told the (internal to MS)
> development and test machines virtually all had Sidewinders connected via a
> sound card joystick connection. I've dug out my Sidewinder 3D Pro and will
> try it when I have the opportunity to do so. I'll report the results in this
> newsgroup as well as passing them on to the relevant people at MS.

> --
> -= Mike =-
> -= MS MVP =-

> > I was having the same problem.  I now have this working without Sidewinder
> >1.5 software installed.

> >I removed the Sidewinder SW and told Windows I had a 3 axis 4 button
> >joystick.  Went back into FS98 and it worked.  I then reinstalled the
> >Sidewinder 1.5 SW and the joystick toggle was not available...

> >As far as I can see, this is a problem with FS98 and the Sidewinder
> >software.

> >Mike, has this been escalated to development?  What information do they
> need
> >to troubleshoot or have they been able to duplicate the problem?

> >Mike A

> >Mike [MS MVP] wrote in article ...

> >>Hi gents,

> >>Maurice Pratt has struggled mightily with the SW problem and seems to have
> >>hit on the solution. If these steps aren't correct I'm hoping he'll drop
> by
> >>and give you the straight scoop! <g>

> >>Uninstall (from the Control Panel's Add/remove software icon) the existing
> >>Sidewinder drivers then reinstall DirectX v.5. You can do that from the
> >>opening screen in FS98 or from a program named DXSETUP.EXE on the
> >>distribution CD.

> >>--
> >>-= Mike =-
> >>-= MS MVP =-

> >>button
> in
> >>fine

--
Regards,

Maury

Sidewinder 3D Pro joystick not working with FS98

Post by Richard Bolla » Mon, 22 Sep 1997 04:00:00

 I was having the same problem that you were, but I just copied the
vjoyd.vxd file from the directx directory on the cd rom into the
windows\system directory and it cleared up the problem....  Since yours is
working, I'm not suggesting that you mess with it, but FYI....

> [...]

>--
>Regards,

>Maury

Sidewinder 3D Pro joystick not working with FS98

Post by Maurice Prat » Mon, 22 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> > Some FS98 users may be experiencing a problem with the Sidewinder 3D Pro
> > joystick not being recognized by FS98 -- or only intermittently with
> > unsatisfactory operation. I've discovered a solution after struggling
> > with this these past 3 days.

> > > My Sidewinder 3D Pro joystick is not working with FS98.  The joystick button
> > > is grayed out and there is no way to activate it.  The joystick appears in
> > > the Control Panel, and when I test it it works fine.  In fact it worked fine
> > > with Flight Simulator for Windows 95.
> install directx and the flight sim, then install the sidewinder 3d
> software? is that what your saying? and you have no problems with the

No, I didn't install the sidewinder 3d software, because DirectX fixed
the problem instead.

FS98 installs DirectX as part of its installation routine (unless
DirectX v. 5.0 is already there). What I discovered (after experiencing
the Sidewinder problem in FS98 and going back to the Sidewinder v. 1.0
driver, is that reinstalling DirectX actually added the necessary
Sidewinder 3D Pro driver (or something) needed to use it with FS98.
You'll see a new "game controller" icon in Control Panel following the
FS98/DirectX installation if the "joystick" icon was there before you
started.

I didn't reinstall the Sidewinder 1.5 drivers as that might put me right
back where I started.
--
Regards,

Maury

Sidewinder 3D Pro joystick not working with FS98

Post by Peter Horvat » Mon, 22 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I uninstalled my SW drivers then rebooted my machine.  I reinstalled Direct
X 5.0.  There weren't any joystick drivers after I installed Direct X so I
reinstalled the SW drivers and my joystick still will not work.  Since then
I switched to a different driver and turned my SW into an analog joystick
and I can at least fly, but I can't use my hat switch etc.
I have a GW2K P5200 MMX with a Ensoniq Vivo sound card, all drivers are up
to date.  I am using version 1.5 of the SW drivers as well.

> What happened when you followed the process outlined a couple of messages
> above, i.e. the method of Maury?

> IMO it's something that's happening in the DirectX 5 install when certain
> conditions exist on the destination system.  I'm told the (internal to
MS)
> development and test machines virtually all had Sidewinders connected via
> sound card joystick connection. I've dug out my Sidewinder 3D Pro and
will
> try it when I have the opportunity to do so. I'll report the results in
this
> newsgroup as well as passing them on to the relevant people at MS.

> --
> -= Mike =-
> -= MS MVP =-

> > I was having the same problem.  I now have this working without
Sidewinder
> >1.5 software installed.

> >I removed the Sidewinder SW and told Windows I had a 3 axis 4 button
> >joystick.  Went back into FS98 and it worked.  I then reinstalled the
> >Sidewinder 1.5 SW and the joystick toggle was not available...

> >As far as I can see, this is a problem with FS98 and the Sidewinder
> >software.

> >Mike, has this been escalated to development?  What information do they
> need
> >to troubleshoot or have they been able to duplicate the problem?

> >Mike A

> >Mike [MS MVP] wrote in article ...

> >>Hi gents,

> >>Maurice Pratt has struggled mightily with the SW problem and seems to
have
> >>hit on the solution. If these steps aren't correct I'm hoping he'll
drop
> by
> >>and give you the straight scoop! <g>

> >>Uninstall (from the Control Panel's Add/remove software icon) the
existing
> >>Sidewinder drivers then reinstall DirectX v.5. You can do that from the
> >>opening screen in FS98 or from a program named DXSETUP.EXE on the
> >>distribution CD.

> >>--
> >>-= Mike =-
> >>-= MS MVP =-

> >>button
> in
> >>fine

Sidewinder 3D Pro joystick not working with FS98

Post by Mike [MS MVP » Mon, 22 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Hello Maury,

Thanks are due you for sticking with the problem and finding a solution that
worked for you. I'm sure a LOT of folks will benefit from the trials you
have experienced.

Since thanks are due.... they are herewith delivered...

THANKS! <g>

--
-= Mike =-
-= MS MVP =-

>Mike, thanks for your followup. And your "rephrasing" of my solution was
>certainly succinct <g>. Yes, you got it right. The key, I think, is to
>just forget about the SW v. 1.5 drivers once you've gone through this
>exercise; DirectX 5.0 seems to install what's needed, anyway. (I didn't
>know that; stumbled on it by accident.)

>Maybe the forthcoming SW v. 2.0 drivers will correct this "unusual"
>configuration scenario: the only common denomenator I can think of is
>having an integrated sound/game controller board (the Yamaha OPL-SA) --
>and maybe somehow a cross-effect with the primary video driver. I went
>ahead and installed DirectX's certified S3v driver, even though I hadn't
>before, because the DirectX installation dialog suggested I not change
>it.

>Just offering clues for the development team <g>.

>> What happened when you followed the process outlined a couple of messages
>> above, i.e. the method of Maury?

>> IMO it's something that's happening in the DirectX 5 install when certain
>> conditions exist on the destination system.  I'm told the (internal to
MS)
>> development and test machines virtually all had Sidewinders connected via
>> sound card joystick connection. I've dug out my Sidewinder 3D Pro and
will
>> try it when I have the opportunity to do so. I'll report the results in
this
>> newsgroup as well as passing them on to the relevant people at MS.

>> --
>> -= Mike =-
>> -= MS MVP =-

>> > I was having the same problem.  I now have this working without
Sidewinder
>> >1.5 software installed.

>> >I removed the Sidewinder SW and told Windows I had a 3 axis 4 button
>> >joystick.  Went back into FS98 and it worked.  I then reinstalled the
>> >Sidewinder 1.5 SW and the joystick toggle was not available...

>> >As far as I can see, this is a problem with FS98 and the Sidewinder
>> >software.

>> >Mike, has this been escalated to development?  What information do they
>> need
>> >to troubleshoot or have they been able to duplicate the problem?

>> >Mike A

>> >Mike [MS MVP] wrote in article ...

>> by

>> in

>--
>Regards,

>Maury

Sidewinder 3D Pro joystick not working with FS98

Post by Peter Horvat » Tue, 23 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I followed your instructions word for word.  After I reinstall DirectX I
look under my CP joystick icon and click add but there is not a driver in
there for my SW3D Pro, there aren't any Microsoft joysticks in there at
all.  So, what drivers do I use?  Do I reinstall my SW driver version 1.5
or what??  AAAARGH.

> Hello Peter,

> I may not be reading this right... try this, uninstall the SW joystick
> software from the Add/remove icon in CP. Now check and see if anything is
> listed in the  in the Game Controllers icon in CP - if so, remove it. Now
> remove the DirectX drivers from the Add/remove programs in CP.  Wander
over
> and check to make sure the gameport joystick is still listed under Sound,
> video, and game controllers in Device Manager. If it is, cool, if not use
> the Install new hardware wizard to reinstall it. Reboot... and here we
sit
> with a gameport but no joystick drivers installed, I hope. Check and see
> what's shown in Game Controllers. Should be nothing installed. If it is,
> kill it again. On the FS98 distribution CD in the \DIRECTX folder there
is a
> program named DXSETUP.EXE. Run that puppy and click the "Reinstall
DirectX
> drivers" (or whatever it actually says). See if that makes a difference.
I'm

Post by Mike [MS MVP » Tue, 23 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> [...]

>> >I removed the Sidewinder SW and told Windows I had a 3 axis 4 button
>> >joystick.  Went back into FS98 and it worked.  I then reinstalled the
>> >Sidewinder 1.5 SW and the joystick toggle was not available...

>> >As far as I can see, this is a problem with FS98 and the Sidewinder
>> >software.

>> >Mike, has this been escalated to development?  What information do they
>> need
>> >to troubleshoot or have they been able to duplicate the problem?

>> >Mike A

>> >Mike [MS MVP] wrote in article ...

>have
>drop
>> by

>existing

>appears
>> in
>worked

Sidewinder 3D Pro joystick not working with FS98

Post by Mike Auslande » Tue, 23 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Mike,

Gave this a shot, and the SW 3D still doesn't work.  I can exit out of FS
and change the Joystick to one of the analog versions, go back in, and it
works.  Switch back to the SW 3D and no luck.

I am attaching a DXInfo report.  I don't know if it will help

Mike A.

Mike [MS MVP] wrote in article ...

Quote:>Hello Peter,

>I may not be reading this right... try this, uninstall the SW joystick
>software from the Add/remove icon in CP. Now check and see if anything is
>listed in the  in the Game Controllers icon in CP - if so, remove it. Now
>remove the DirectX drivers from the Add/remove programs in CP.  Wander over
>and check to make sure the gameport joystick is still listed under Sound,
>video, and game controllers in Device Manager. If it is, cool, if not use
>the Install new hardware wizard to reinstall it. Reboot... and here we sit
>with a gameport but no joystick drivers installed, I hope. Check and see
>what's shown in Game Controllers. Should be nothing installed. If it is,
>kill it again. On the FS98 distribution CD in the \DIRECTX folder there is
>program named DXSETUP.EXE. Run that puppy and click the "Reinstall DirectX
>drivers" (or whatever it actually says). See if that makes a difference.
I'm
>outta altitude, airspeed, and ideas here if that doesn't work.
>--
>-= Mike =-
>-= MS MVP =-

...SNIP....

begin 666 DXInfo01.txt
<encoded_portion_removed>
end

Sidewinder 3D Pro joystick not working with FS98

Post by Mike [MS MVP » Wed, 24 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Mike A. and Peter, and anyone else following the saga...

I'm tapped out here. In my install the Sidewinder Pro is a choice and it
works fine. Matter of fact there are two driver selections, I can't figger
out why. I've taken the info and will pass it on to the folks in PSS and see
if they have a clue. I'll also run it by the DirectX expert and see what he
has to say.

Sorry I'm not more help.
--
-= Mike =-
-= MS MVP =-

>Mike,

>Gave this a shot, and the SW 3D still doesn't work.  I can exit out of FS
>and change the Joystick to one of the analog versions, go back in, and it
>works.  Switch back to the SW 3D and no luck.

>I am attaching a DXInfo report.  I don't know if it will help

>Mike A.

>Mike [MS MVP] wrote in article ...

>>Hello Peter,

>>I may not be reading this right... try this, uninstall the SW joystick
>>software from the Add/remove icon in CP. Now check and see if anything is
>>listed in the  in the Game Controllers icon in CP - if so, remove it. Now
>>remove the DirectX drivers from the Add/remove programs in CP.  Wander
over
>>and check to make sure the gameport joystick is still listed under Sound,
>>video, and game controllers in Device Manager. If it is, cool, if not use
>>the Install new hardware wizard to reinstall it. Reboot... and here we sit
>>with a gameport but no joystick drivers installed, I hope. Check and see
>>what's shown in Game Controllers. Should be nothing installed. If it is,
>>kill it again. On the FS98 distribution CD in the \DIRECTX folder there is
>>program named DXSETUP.EXE. Run that puppy and click the "Reinstall DirectX
>>drivers" (or whatever it actually says). See if that makes a difference.
>I'm
>>outta altitude, airspeed, and ideas here if that doesn't work.
>>--
>>-= Mike =-
>>-= MS MVP =-

>...SNIP....

Sidewinder 3D Pro joystick not working with FS98

Post by Paul Shattuc » Fri, 26 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I am having the same problem, not able to select joystick control and I am
using a Sidewinder 3D Pro.  I am really having trouble following the
solution on this problem.  Could someone please restate the solution, if
one exists?  I am using a Gateway 166XL with an Ensoniq Soundscape game
controller.

1. FS98 & Sidewinder 3D Pro Joystick Problems: something to try

Here's something for FS98 users to try if they get a "Not Connected" status
in the Game Controller applet after FS98 starts running.

Edit the FLTSIM98.CFG file and add the following 3 lines:
[SOUND]
Channels=1
SamplesPerSec=11025

I must emphasize that this is not a fix. It's a possible workaround to the
problem.

I'd be very interested to know what luck (or not) that you have with this.

If this doesn't do anything to help the problem, please remove these lines.

Thanks,
Dave

2. VO1 ListBox samples?

3. Does Sidewinder Pro 3D Joystick Profiler Work in FS95

4. HP Network Problem ..

5. FS98 does not recognise Sidewinder Precision Pro Joystick

6. This is the Doc! of "Dr. Feelgoods "Crazy" C=Sales!

7. Sidewinder 3D Pro & FS98 now works!

8. Shell script for EXPN

9. Getting SideWinder 3D Pro to work w/FS98

10. Sidewinder 3d Pro not working in digital mode in Windows 95

11. Sidewinder 3D Pro Bottom Buttons Not Working

12. SideWinder 3D pro not working

13. Sideslip with MS Sidewinder pro 3d not working