Connecting 2 PCs (side by side via Null Modem)

Connecting 2 PCs (side by side via Null Modem)

Post by D Robinso » Fri, 24 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Null modem failure with Red Baron II. Windows 95 does not communicate
through comm ports via null modem cable.  is not the only game that won't
work this way.  None do (Close Combat, Sid Meier's Gettysburg, Red Alert,
Perfect General, etc.).

Cable is fine because a couple of these games if I boot under DOS.  (That is
not an option with today's games.)  I have moved the mouse around, too, and
it works in either serial port 1 or 2 but doesn't help problem.  If I boot
under DOS, they work great.

Details: Several games that should support null modem play never make the
connection.  I have tried this feature on some computers at work--no problem
(except it's not the place to play!).  Even took a notebook computer home
and it failed there!  Have checked Port Settings in the Control Panel and
tried various settings, too.

Connecting 2 PCs (side by side via Null Modem)

Post by Barry Flud » Fri, 24 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Have you installed the direct connection option, it's normally installed
as part of the dialup networking set.

Barry F

--

------------------

Connecting 2 PCs (side by side via Null Modem)

Post by Normand Bouche » Sat, 25 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Must be something wrong with the hardware (port itself maybe?)
I use Win 95 and regularly play using serial port connection (null modem)
with another computer in the room, have no problem.

Both are using COM2 port. No need for Win 95 Direct Cable Connection
program.

Good luck !

--

Normand Boucher
PVQ / QVP

>Null modem failure with Red Baron II. Windows 95 does not communicate
>through comm ports via null modem cable.  is not the only game that won't
>work this way.  None do (Close Combat, Sid Meier's Gettysburg, Red Alert,
>Perfect General, etc.).

>Cable is fine because a couple of these games if I boot under DOS.  (That
is
>not an option with today's games.)  I have moved the mouse around, too, and
>it works in either serial port 1 or 2 but doesn't help problem.  If I boot
>under DOS, they work great.

>Details: Several games that should support null modem play never make the
>connection.  I have tried this feature on some computers at work--no
problem
>(except it's not the place to play!).  Even took a notebook computer home
>and it failed there!  Have checked Port Settings in the Control Panel and
>tried various settings, too.

Connecting 2 PCs (side by side via Null Modem)

Post by jan van rijnsoeve » Mon, 27 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

Why don't you use the (parralel) LPT port? That will work!

jan van rijnsoever

D Robinson heeft geschreven in bericht

Quote:>Null modem failure with Red Baron II. Windows 95 does not communicate
>through comm ports via null modem cable.  is not the only game that won't
>work this way.  None do (Close Combat, Sid Meier's Gettysburg, Red Alert,
>Perfect General, etc.).

Connecting 2 PCs (side by side via Null Modem)

Post by Hemi » Mon, 27 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I'm not sure what the objective here is, but one of the best ways I found to
make sure the connection works is to install "Direct Cable Connection" into
Win95. I really had a tough time trying to get certain games to work with an
LPT cable connection, with the Direct Cable setup, you can use TCP / IP as
your connection (Windows sets up it's own little IP network when you make
the connection between two computers via a cable).

Go into Control-Panel - Add / Remove Programs - Windows Setup. Then under
Communications check the box "Direct Cable Connection". You'll then have to
put in your Win95 CD and all that stuff...

Once it's installed just go to Accessories - Direct Cable Connection (might
be under "communications"), and run the program. One machine will be the
"host" the other will be the "guest". Once you get them connected, just
start up whatever game you wish, and select "TCP / IP" as your connection
protocol, if the game has an "auto-scan" feature, it should pick up the
other PC in a flash.
Hope this helps, I just think it's a great all-around utility to use, I also
find it great for exchanging between my laptop and desktop via "My
Briefcase".