Finally instrument legal!

Post by Scott Brazel » Fri, 28 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Well guys, I finally managed to get my Instrument Certification today.

say it makes me a better pilot, just wish I could turn them off for my
check rides. <g>  This training has been a lot more difficult than I was
expecting and really oftened wondered if I would ever make it.  So
needless to say, I'm quite gratified that I got my certification
finally, and really glad that it's over.  Now I can go out and continue
practicing, even 40 hours isn't near enough to not be dangerous making
approaches for real right down to minimums, IMO.  For the pilots out
there wondering if they should make that step, one thing for sure, the
experience will make you a better pilot, one way or another.  Well, I
was really happy about this and thought I'd share.  And for those
thinking who cares, sorry.

Now back to talking sims.

--
Scott Brazell
University of Oklahoma

Finally instrument legal!

Post by Ian Hindmars » Fri, 28 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Well guys, I finally managed to get my Instrument Certification today.

Well done Scott - good one

Finally instrument legal!

Post by Bill Manle » Fri, 28 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Congratulations Scott.  I'd be interested in learning if Flight Simulator
was any substantial help in achieving that goal.

I never got as far a the instrument rating.  Had a heart attack with about
500 hours following private pilot and that ended my aviation career.  I did
have my share of wind challenges making cross-wind landings at Danbury Ct.

regards,

Bill Manley

> Well guys, I finally managed to get my Instrument Certification today.

> say it makes me a better pilot, just wish I could turn them off for my
> check rides. <g>  This training has been a lot more difficult than I was
> expecting and really oftened wondered if I would ever make it.  So
> needless to say, I'm quite gratified that I got my certification
> finally, and really glad that it's over.  Now I can go out and continue
> practicing, even 40 hours isn't near enough to not be dangerous making
> approaches for real right down to minimums, IMO.  For the pilots out
> there wondering if they should make that step, one thing for sure, the
> experience will make you a better pilot, one way or another.  Well, I
> was really happy about this and thought I'd share.  And for those
> thinking who cares, sorry.

> Now back to talking sims.

> --
> Scott Brazell
> University of Oklahoma
> Aviation

Finally instrument legal!

Post by Bil » Fri, 28 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Congrats, Scott.  You should be rightfully proud!

--

Kindest Regards,
William R. (Bill) Hoscheit

>Well guys, I finally managed to get my Instrument Certification today.

>say it makes me a better pilot, just wish I could turn them off for my
>check rides. <g>  This training has been a lot more difficult than I was
>expecting and really oftened wondered if I would ever make it.  So
>needless to say, I'm quite gratified that I got my certification
>finally, and really glad that it's over.  Now I can go out and continue
>practicing, even 40 hours isn't near enough to not be dangerous making
>approaches for real right down to minimums, IMO.  For the pilots out
>there wondering if they should make that step, one thing for sure, the
>experience will make you a better pilot, one way or another.  Well, I
>was really happy about this and thought I'd share.  And for those
>thinking who cares, sorry.

>Now back to talking sims.

>--
>Scott Brazell
>University of Oklahoma
>Aviation

Finally instrument legal!

Congratulations.  That's a tough rating to get.

Post by Ear » Fri, 28 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> >Well guys, I finally managed to get my Instrument Certification today.

> >say it makes me a better pilot, just wish I could turn them off for my   Oh shit!

Finally instrument legal!

Post by Normand Bouche » Sat, 29 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Congratulations Scott !
Success strories are always good to share.

-----------------------------
Normand Boucher
P.V.Q. / Q.V.P.
-----------------------------

:Well guys, I finally managed to get my Instrument Certification today.

:say it makes me a better pilot, just wish I could turn them off for my
:check rides. <g>  This training has been a lot more difficult than I was
:expecting and really oftened wondered if I would ever make it.  So
:needless to say, I'm quite gratified that I got my certification
:finally, and really glad that it's over.  Now I can go out and continue
:practicing, even 40 hours isn't near enough to not be dangerous making
:approaches for real right down to minimums, IMO.  For the pilots out
:there wondering if they should make that step, one thing for sure, the
:experience will make you a better pilot, one way or another.  Well, I
:was really happy about this and thought I'd share.  And for those
:thinking who cares, sorry.
:
:Now back to talking sims.
:
:
:--
:Scott Brazell
:University of Oklahoma
:Aviation

Finally instrument legal!

Post by Mark Newb » Sat, 29 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Hello Scott,
From one insturment pilot to another CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!It is
probably the hardest ratings to get

                Regards,
                Mark

> Well guys, I finally managed to get my Instrument Certification today.

> say it makes me a better pilot, just wish I could turn them off for my
> check rides. <g>  This training has been a lot more difficult than I was
> expecting and really oftened wondered if I would ever make it.  So
> needless to say, I'm quite gratified that I got my certification
> finally, and really glad that it's over.  Now I can go out and continue
> practicing, even 40 hours isn't near enough to not be dangerous making
> approaches for real right down to minimums, IMO.  For the pilots out
> there wondering if they should make that step, one thing for sure, the
> experience will make you a better pilot, one way or another.  Well, I
> was really happy about this and thought I'd share.  And for those
> thinking who cares, sorry.

> Now back to talking sims.

> --
> Scott Brazell
> University of Oklahoma
> Aviation

Finally instrument legal!

Post by Scott Brazel » Sat, 29 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> Congratulations Scott.  I'd be interested in learning if Flight Simulator
> was any substantial help in achieving that goal.

> I never got as far a the instrument rating.  Had a heart attack with about
> 500 hours following private pilot and that ended my aviation career.  I did
> have my share of wind challenges making cross-wind landings at Danbury Ct.

> regards,

> Bill Manley

Well, obviously flying ifr in a real plane is much harder than FS, but I
will say that flying with FS5.0 and now FS98 have helped me tremendously
with technique and situational awareness, and this is half the battle in
instrument flying in my opinion.  When you learn how to pinpoint the
aircraft's location relative to everything else, without thinking about
it, the job is much easier.  Unfortunately, I still haven't mastered
even this, but I'm getting there.  Once the latter comes to you, then
you can relax and get on with just flying the plane like you are
supposed to.  I know some of you are thinking, well, flying the airplane
is the #1 priority no matter what you are doing, and you are right.  It
is just sometimes difficult with so many other things screaming for your
attention, like that feeling of vertigo in the soup.  So, for the money
I have spent compared to how very much I've gotten from FS, I'd say it
has definitely been instrumental in my training. (couldn't resist that
pun!)<g>

So I'll definitely be practicing my ifr in FS98 for sometime to come in
between those times when I have money for the real thing, since there is
still no substitute for real practice.

--
Scott Brazell
University of Oklahoma

Finally instrument legal!

Post by Bob Cardo » Sun, 30 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>> Congratulations Scott.  I'd be interested in learning if Flight Simulator
>> was any substantial help in achieving that goal.

>> I never got as far a the instrument rating.  Had a heart attack with about
>> 500 hours following private pilot and that ended my aviation career.  I did
>> have my share of wind challenges making cross-wind landings at Danbury Ct.

>> regards,

>> Bill Manley

>Well, obviously flying ifr in a real plane is much harder than FS, but I
>will say that flying with FS5.0 and now FS98 have helped me tremendously
>with technique and situational awareness, and this is half the battle in
>instrument flying in my opinion.  When you learn how to pinpoint the
>aircraft's location relative to everything else, without thinking about
>it, the job is much easier.  Unfortunately, I still haven't mastered
>even this, but I'm getting there.  Once the latter comes to you, then
>you can relax and get on with just flying the plane like you are
>supposed to.  I know some of you are thinking, well, flying the airplane
>is the #1 priority no matter what you are doing, and you are right.  It
>is just sometimes difficult with so many other things screaming for your
>attention, like that feeling of vertigo in the soup.  So, for the money
>I have spent compared to how very much I've gotten from FS, I'd say it
>has definitely been instrumental in my training. (couldn't resist that
>pun!)<g>

>So I'll definitely be practicing my ifr in FS98 for sometime to come in
>between those times when I have money for the real thing, since there is
>still no substitute for real practice.

First of all congratulations on the instrument ticket. I never had the
time or the funds to pursue my IFR rating, but I occasionally have
taken some hood time just in case of an emergency when flying with an
IFR pilot. I feel the same as you about FS95 and FS98. Much of the
work in IFR to me is sensing where you are in relation to the
approach, the airport etc and I think that the flight sim really helps
with that. You have done that so many times on the simulator ( I
almost always hand fly all my approaches IFR, that more time and
concentration can be devoted to actually controlling the aircraft.

A good book you might enjoy that I am currently reading is called "
Mastering Instrument Flying by Henry Sollman. It is a TAB book
published by McGraw Hill. Got some really good stuff in it..

             Bob Cardone

Most Crashes are caused by Pilot Error

                (*)
     ************************
         (*)           (*)
Noble Airlines
Boston HUB
Commercial Captain

Finally instrument legal!

Post by nospa » Fri, 05 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Good job Scott, the sky is the limit.

Quote:> > Congratulations Scott.  I'd be interested in learning if Flight Simulator
> > was any substantial help in achieving that goal.
> > I'll definitely be practicing my ifr in FS98 for sometime to come in
> between those times when I have money for the real thing, since there is
> still no substitute for real practice.

> --
> Scott Brazell
> University of Oklahoma
> Aviation

It has been a real nice tool to work with for real world flight
preperation, and a GOD SEND for check-rides. Something I do before
a mission is sit down and simulate the legs from start to finish.

EXAMPLE...

Charleston AFB, SC---------- Kelly AFB, TX-----------Howard AFB,Panama
and back home.

I set the parameters such as time and day and before i come home from
work i stop at base ops and get the weather forcast for that day.

so don't listen to people bashing one another about simms, what ever
works for you is always the best tool.

                                                   Fly,
                                                    Fight,
                                                     ~N~
                                                       Win!

                                                       C141B

Finally instrument legal!

Post by Bob Cardo » Fri, 05 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>Good job Scott, the sky is the limit.

>> > Congratulations Scott.  I'd be interested in learning if Flight Simulator
>> > was any substantial help in achieving that goal.

>> > I'll definitely be practicing my ifr in FS98 for sometime to come in
>> between those times when I have money for the real thing, since there is
>> still no substitute for real practice.

>> --
>> Scott Brazell
>> University of Oklahoma
>> Aviation

>It has been a real nice tool to work with for real world flight
>preperation, and a GOD SEND for check-rides. Something I do before
>a mission is sit down and simulate the legs from start to finish.

>EXAMPLE...

>Charleston AFB, SC---------- Kelly AFB, TX-----------Howard AFB,Panama
>and back home.

>I set the parameters such as time and day and before i come home from
>work i stop at base ops and get the weather forcast for that day.

>so don't listen to people bashing one another about simms, what ever
>works for you is always the best tool.

>                                                   Fly,
>                                                    Fight,
>                                                     ~N~
>                                                       Win!

>                                                       C141B

Glad to hear that, and I sort of suspected that would be the case even
though I don't have an instrument ticket.

Bob Cardone

Finally instrument legal!

Post by Pedro Tit » Mon, 08 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Good Show, old boy !!

I am starting my PPL and hope that the many hours spent on the simms at
hand ( ATP, FS98) will be helpfull. I already am a sailplane pilot and must
say that there isn't a simm good enough for soaring. Anyway,
congratulations Scott, and remeber, any landing that you can walk out by
our own is a good one !!

Pedro Tito