Simulate a modem on a LAN

Post by Subhodini Fernand » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 01:42:03

I have a bizzare question. I have a high speed LAN with Internet
connectivity for all Win2k desktops. However, my developers keep
asking for a modem connection every now and then. Its got to a point
where I would like to provide a different solution to them. I was
thinking more in terms of simluating a modem over the LAN on a Win2k
system. Is this possible ?

  Do let me know.

  Subho.

Simulate a modem on a LAN

Post by John Elric » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 04:16:57

Quote:> I have a bizzare question. I have a high speed LAN with Internet
> connectivity for all Win2k desktops. However, my developers keep
> asking for a modem connection every now and then. Its got to a point
> where I would like to provide a different solution to them. I was
> thinking more in terms of simluating a modem over the LAN on a Win2k
> system. Is this possible ?

I would hazard a guess that they want to test at the much lower speeds of a
dial up.  In which case, you'd have to find a way to throttle down the speed
of the simulated modem.

I'd find out what their goals are before offering them a solution which
might not give them what they need.

John

Simulate a modem on a LAN

Post by Bernard Homè » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 04:27:00

Two years ago we used Shunra's (www.shunra.com) products to simulate
different kind of connections over a LAN.
Their product enabled us and our customer to simulate modem speeds over a
high speed network.
I do not know if their tool can simulate the full range of modem interface
and/or protocol (if that's what your developers require).

Regards

----- Bernard H.

Quote:> I have a bizzare question. I have a high speed LAN with Internet
> connectivity for all Win2k desktops. However, my developers keep
> asking for a modem connection every now and then. Its got to a point
> where I would like to provide a different solution to them. I was
> thinking more in terms of simluating a modem over the LAN on a Win2k
> system. Is this possible ?

>   Do let me know.

>   Subho.

Simulate a modem on a LAN

Post by Phil Frisbie, Jr » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 05:21:19

> I have a bizzare question. I have a high speed LAN with Internet
> connectivity for all Win2k desktops. However, my developers keep
> asking for a modem connection every now and then. Its got to a point
> where I would like to provide a different solution to them. I was
> thinking more in terms of simluating a modem over the LAN on a Win2k
> system. Is this possible ?

You could provide them with a null modem serial cable between two of your
computers. They can then set the serial port speed to anything they want from
300-115K bps.

Quote:>   Do let me know.

--
Phil Frisbie, Jr.
Hawk Software

Simulate a modem on a LAN

Post by CJT » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 05:55:40

> I have a bizzare question. I have a high speed LAN with Internet
> connectivity for all Win2k desktops. However, my developers keep
> asking for a modem connection every now and then. Its got to a point
> where I would like to provide a different solution to them. I was
> thinking more in terms of simluating a modem over the LAN on a Win2k
> system. Is this possible ?

>   Do let me know.

>   Subho.

You might want to look at the software 3Com provided with their
OfficeConnect LanModems to see if it's the sort of thing you're
looking for.  As I recall, it created a virtual modem and fax
which actually communicated over the LAN.  I don't know about
availability, but it might at least be a proof of concept, and
I wouldn't be surprised if they bought components of it from
a software vendor somewhere (which might still be in business).

Simulate a modem on a LAN

Post by Brian Scher » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 02:47:23

> I have a bizzare question. I have a high speed LAN with Internet
> connectivity for all Win2k desktops. However, my developers keep
> asking for a modem connection every now and then. Its got to a point
> where I would like to provide a different solution to them. I was
> thinking more in terms of simluating a modem over the LAN on a Win2k
> system. Is this possible ?

>   Do let me know.

>   Subho.

If your company phone system has extensions to dial, why not hook
modems up to the company phone system and test this way. It would give
you more realistic testing than over a LAN.

Brian Scherer

Simulate a modem on a LAN

Post by CJT » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 06:04:58

>>I have a bizzare question. I have a high speed LAN with Internet
>>connectivity for all Win2k desktops. However, my developers keep
>>asking for a modem connection every now and then. Its got to a point
>>where I would like to provide a different solution to them. I was
>>thinking more in terms of simluating a modem over the LAN on a Win2k
>>system. Is this possible ?

>>  Do let me know.

>>  Subho.

> If your company phone system has extensions to dial, why not hook
> modems up to the company phone system and test this way. It would give
> you more realistic testing than over a LAN.

> Brian Scherer

Make sure your phone system is compatible with your modem first.
Some PBX equipment doesn't play nice.

Simulate a modem on a LAN

Post by Rob » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 10:02:27

All,
You will need to make sure that the extension is an analogue ( or analog if
you reside in the US... ).

However, there are security implications with connecting a modem to the
outside world.  You will by-pass any firewalls etc. that your IT dept has
set in place.

BUT, you can get phone line simulators.  What you do is connect the modem
that is on your LAN or PC to the phone line simulator.  It can produce dial,
ringing, busy etc. tones and also send ringing current to another modem
after you have "dialled" an certain number of digits.  This way you can
simulate the whole thing without breaching security.

HTH

--
Rob Grattan
R&D Software Pty. Ltd.