use cases vs test cases

Post by mobsho » Sun, 02 Sep 2001 01:08:10

I will ask a basic question, but the reason for asking it because I had an argument with the programmers about it.  The question is what is the different between use cases and test cases?
I think use cases is the same as test cases but it was built/created for user acceptance test, but test cases is for factional testing.  Is that right?
The programmers think that use cases is the sources of test cases that came from the client. Which point is right?

------------------

Please click the following link to reply:
http://www.qaforums.com/Forum15/HTML/001451.html

use cases vs test cases

Post by Scott Thoma » Sun, 02 Sep 2001 08:17:50

The programmers are right.  A use case is a scenario of how the product
will be used, not what data to use.

Scott Thomas

--
Real-World Testing        ******* Quality Checked Software *******
 and Metrics Solutions      ***** Beaverton, Oregon, USA   *****

use cases vs test cases

Post by Evangelos Mavrogiannaki » Mon, 17 Sep 2001 12:52:08

Believe or not you are both right. I think is the way you and the developers
use the terminology that creates the confusion.

Use cases are scenarios that indeed are in use from the Testers to write
test case for User acceptance test.
Test cases can be for any kind of testing. The test case can be grouped
depending on the source you use.
To write test cases for functional test we use as source the functional
specifications.
To write test cases for User acceptance test we use as source Use cases
list. Now sometimes the Use case is so well written that we don't have to
re-write that as test case. From this point of view you are right but you
should not differentiate Use cases versus test case. Rather say test cases
versus what source of information to be used.
I hope this helps.
Angelos Mavrogiannakis
QA Analyst.

Quote:> I will ask a basic question, but the reason for asking it because I had an

argument with the programmers about it.  The question is what is the
different between use cases and test cases?
Quote:> I think use cases is the same as test cases but it was built/created for

user acceptance test, but test cases is for factional testing.  Is that
right?
Quote:> The programmers think that use cases is the sources of test cases that

came from the client. Which point is right?
Quote: