Novices Question on NUnit

Post by Tony Hamil » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 06:15:27

Hi,
    I have a novice qurestion on Unit Testing. when developers are testing a
void function with NUnit what do they test for? The Assertion object asks
for a boolean expression to evaluate the outcome of a function which is
fine, however I have lots of

public void methodName(){}

Any help greatly appreciated.

Novices Question on NUnit

Post by jcornad » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 08:57:00

I am not  a friend of *Unit but:

If your functions do not return anything and do not modify anything that is
passed by reference (which you could verify after calling the method) , what
can you test other than manually stepping thru the code? Not much.

Maybe this is some kind of GUI method that exhibits some behavior through
I/O?

>Hi,
>    I have a novice qurestion on Unit Testing. when developers are testing
>void function with NUnit what do they test for? The Assertion object asks
>for a boolean expression to evaluate the outcome of a function which is
>fine, however I have lots of

>public void methodName(){}

>Any help greatly appreciated.

Novices Question on NUnit

Post by jcornad » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 08:58:48

Or maybe they modify a third object?

>Hi,
>    I have a novice qurestion on Unit Testing. when developers are testing
>void function with NUnit what do they test for? The Assertion object asks
>for a boolean expression to evaluate the outcome of a function which is
>fine, however I have lots of

>public void methodName(){}

>Any help greatly appreciated.

Novices Question on NUnit

Post by Lidor Wyssock » Thu, 24 Jul 2003 05:03:15

Hi,

I've just finished writing an article about designing developer tests. Among
other things it deals with this issue. It is currently in a "draft" status,
but you can still access it at
http://www.qualityprogramming.org/Testing/DesigningDeveloperTests/Des...
eveloperTests.htm

--
____________________________
Lidor Wyssocky

http://www.QualityProgramming.org
Quality Oriented Programming

Quote:> Hi,
>     I have a novice qurestion on Unit Testing. when developers are testing
> void function with NUnit what do they test for? The Assertion object asks
> for a boolean expression to evaluate the outcome of a function which is
> fine, however I have lots of

> public void methodName(){}

> Any help greatly appreciated.

1. Novice Editor (Re: Novice email??)

We have the same problem. But it'd be easy enough to fix without going
into a huge system like Mush, just by setting the default editor to something
a bit more user-friendly. Problem is, there isn't anything.

Anyone have a simple user-friendly editor for UNIX? Prefereably something
that has a line-mode as well as a screen mode, for the times when line noise
is overpowering?
--

\_.--._/
      v        Disclaimer: People have opinions, organisations have policy.

3. Log-Log CD plot question (novice question)

4. Cellular Automata Processors

5. VueScan Novice Question

6. FP98 hyper links to pages with bookmarks

7. A novice question

8. CRC & XP

9. Novice question about software of UMAX 1220P

10. Novice Questions and Advice

11. Novice Home Automation Questions

12. novice's question ... multiple displays on a slab

13. Novice questions about NeXTs