Using Lotus Notes for a defect tracking system

Using Lotus Notes for a defect tracking system

Post by AdeM » Tue, 13 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi fellow testers,
I am part of the Software Testing Group at Psion Computers. This company has
a tradition of using Lotus Notes for all project work.
I have been tasked to improve upon the Notes database that is currently used
to track software defects.
Rather than re-invent the wheel I would like to ask if anyone else uses
Notes rather than a dedicated defect tracking tool.
My first impressions are that I should recommend a proper tracking tool that
the Testing Group can customize to its heart's content rather than relying
upon the internal IT support to get a Notes contractor for even the smallest
modification.

Post by Link Hochnade » Tue, 13 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> Hi fellow testers,
> I am part of the Software Testing Group at Psion Computers. This company has
> a tradition of using Lotus Notes for all project work.
> I have been tasked to improve upon the Notes database that is currently used
> to track software defects.
> Rather than re-invent the wheel I would like to ask if anyone else uses
> Notes rather than a dedicated defect tracking tool.
> My first impressions are that I should recommend a proper tracking tool that
> the Testing Group can customize to its heart's content rather than relying
> upon the internal IT support to get a Notes contractor for even the smallest
> modification.

Some insight into the political dynamic of change within your company is
needed.  A lot of additional factors can influence the introduction of
new systems; these factors have scope beyond the bounds of functionality
and other technical issues.

As I recall, anyone who has been properly trained and authorized can
modify the functionality of applications based on Notes, so
"customizability" per se is not ordinarily a disadvantage of Notes
vis-a-vis alternative tools.  Consequently, the pivot of your argument
must be the costs of training/hiring suitably skilled personnel to
perform this work.

I understand that you have been asked to produce an estimate or project
plan for some necessary remediation. If you have not been provided with
a document identifying specific deficiencies in the current
implementation with recommendations for improvements, you should produce
one. When you have completed the plan you will need to obtain a
consensus among the various "stake-holders" regarding the accuracy and
adequacy of your planning and estimation. This baseline plan for
modifying your current system will get you temporarily off the hook,
while also simplifying your evaluation of costs and benefits related to
the introduction of any new system.

Usually, at the completion of this phase, the risk is diluted by
choosing a qualified contractor to continue with technical review and
implementation of the plan, while the business analyst carries on with
the analysis of alternatives. This provides a safety net for
enhancements because, should the contractor fail to deliver, the
alternatives under study automatically become more attractive, while if
the analyst fails to identify a better solution, the intervening time
has not been completely wasted.

Once the costs of the current system have been quantified, assessing the
alternatives will be easier, because unfavorable alternatives can be
eliminated from the comparison. Costs over the life-cyle for licensing,
training, and tech support from all sources for each option can be
compared with costs of maintaining the status quo.

Having then determined the costs and benefits of the preferred
alternatives, these will be further evaluated against a more complete
set of organizational preferences, and a choice justified on this basis.

--
|=*=/=*=/=*=/=*=/=*=/=*=/=*=/=*=/=*=/=*=/=*=/=*=/=*=/=*=/=*=/=*=/=*=|
| Link Hochnadel
| Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of anybody else ...
|=*=/=*=/=*=/=*=/=*=/=*=/=*=/=*=/=*=/=*=/=*=/=*=/=*=/=*=/=*=/=*=/=*=|

Using Lotus Notes for a defect tracking system

Post by Joe Strazzer » Wed, 14 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I have used a Notes-based Problem Tracking system at two different
companies in the past.

For me, Notes was the ideal platform for building a simple, easy-to-use
system for tracking bugs, for hosting Requirements, Specs, Test Plans,
a KnowledgeBase - any collection of documents relevant for the software
development process.  I never needed to ask for any significant amount
of IT help.  Notes is very simple to use and the forms and views are
easily modified.

Unfortunately, my current position is in a "Notes-free" shop.  I miss
it!

-joe

Quote:> Hi fellow testers,
> I am part of the Software Testing Group at Psion Computers. This
company has
> a tradition of using Lotus Notes for all project work.
> I have been tasked to improve upon the Notes database that is
currently used
> to track software defects.
> Rather than re-invent the wheel I would like to ask if anyone else
uses
> Notes rather than a dedicated defect tracking tool.
> My first impressions are that I should recommend a proper tracking
tool that
> the Testing Group can customize to its heart's content rather than
relying
> upon the internal IT support to get a Notes contractor for even the
smallest
> modification.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Using Lotus Notes for a defect tracking system

Post by TheMick » Thu, 15 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I have used Lotus Notes as a defect tracking tool on several engagements.  It
has worked well each time.

Let me know if you want to discuss further.

Regards,
Michael Bellefeuille
blueprintQA Consulting
www.blueprintqa.com