Date field Validation Testing

Post by Harina » Sat, 09 Nov 2002 14:00:06

Can anyone give me various test conditions for date field validation testing?

Hari

Date field Validation Testing

Post by M. J. Catte » Sat, 09 Nov 2002 21:42:46

> Can anyone give me various test conditions for date field validation testing?

> Hari

What do you mean?

-Do you want boundary value cases for Date inputs?
-Do you want work flow cases where dates are used in the calculation?
-Do you want cases where dates must be calculated and the
used/displayed in the application?

I think most of us have a bunch of interesting cases from Y2K testing.
 Once I know what you are after a bit better, I can give some more
feedback.

Date field Validation Testing

Post by Glenn Bresli » Thu, 14 Nov 2002 11:10:32

Hari,

You got it.

alpha in fields
out of range in fields (e.g. 13 = month 32 = day
for year how many years back -  how many years forward are valid -- are
invalid
more chars in fields e.g. 333/01/02
special characters in fields **/01/02
is blank allowed (e.g. is field required)
relational edits (to other fields on the screen) - when valid when invalid
1 instead of 01 should be allowed - as users will enter
If an object is launched for entering dates,  can you enter the dates
without the date object -- if yes repeat above tests for both tool and for
entering directly into the field

Take Care and Enjoy,

Glenn Breslin
CQA, CSTE

Quote:> Can anyone give me various test conditions for date field validation
testing?

> Hari

Date field Validation Testing

Post by Andrew Bake » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 09:49:11

Also, make sure it uses regional settings - doesn't just default to US
formats.  dd/mm/yy is normal in most of the world.

Andrew

> Hari,

> You got it.

> alpha in fields
> out of range in fields (e.g. 13 = month 32 = day
> for year how many years back -  how many years forward are valid -- are
> invalid
> more chars in fields e.g. 333/01/02
> special characters in fields **/01/02
> is blank allowed (e.g. is field required)
> relational edits (to other fields on the screen) - when valid when invalid
> 1 instead of 01 should be allowed - as users will enter
> If an object is launched for entering dates,  can you enter the dates
> without the date object -- if yes repeat above tests for both tool and for
> entering directly into the field

> Take Care and Enjoy,

> Glenn Breslin
> CQA, CSTE

> > Can anyone give me various test conditions for date field validation
> testing?

> > Hari

Date field Validation Testing

Post by Vladim » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 18:46:55

[snip]

Quote:> alpha in fields
> out of range in fields (e.g. 13 = month 32 = day
> for year how many years back -  how many years forward are valid -- are
> invalid
> more chars in fields e.g. 333/01/02
> special characters in fields **/01/02
> is blank allowed (e.g. is field required)
> relational edits (to other fields on the screen) - when valid when invalid
> 1 instead of 01 should be allowed - as users will enter
> If an object is launched for entering dates,  can you enter the dates
> without the date object -- if yes repeat above tests for both tool and for
> entering directly into the field

[snip]

also try these:
-- negative value for each field: -1/10/2002, 10/-2/01, 12/10/-10
-- 00/00/00, 00/00/0000, 0/0/0
-- if a field is not allowed for non numerical input try copy/paste
non numerical characters into it you may be surprised with the result
;)
-- try te smallest and the biggest possible date; investigate what
happens if the limits are exceeded; find limits -- there are always
limits sometimes developers do not even guess there are ;)
-- experiment with delimiters
   -- another delimiter, not '/': '.','-',':'
   -- make their number smaller 10/10/
   -- make thier number bigger 10/10/01/
   -- same with spare delimiter at the begining /01/12/05

There are many more! Never stop thinking! :)

Also I wouldn't call this kind of testing Validation, this is rather
Verification (checking if a thing is done right).

Hope this helps,
Vladimir

1. Fixing faulty dates - select on day part of a date field

Hi all,

I've got a problem with dates on one of my tables. I've been inserting dates
in the format 'dd/mm/ccyy' which for the days 13-31 for each month worked
fine.

The problem I have is that for the days 01-12 for each month, the date was
interpretted as 'mm/dd/ccyy'.  Now I know about it I need to fix it.

Two questions.

1) how can I select on part of a date?  I need to select all records where
the day is not > 12.
2) can I do this in a single update, i.e. can I do something around

update calls set xdate =  ???? where ??????;

--
Gary Stainburn

2. SQL Server permissions

3. Gantt Chart Import putting End Date in both Start and End Date fields

4. Unable to contact web server http://localhost

5. BSP validation test suite - additional tests

6. Windows 2000 Domain trusting Windows NT Domain issues

7. "Item...failing validation test" - What test??

8. Random number generation with WM_TIMER action

9. Problems using Keystroke script for on the fly validation of text fields

10. Fields validations

11. Access Validation Rule and Field Names

12. field validation