Test Managers' salary

Post by Scooby Do » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 05:29:12

Is there a guideline as to the Test Manager's salary based on the tester's
salary and the number of staff? Or is there another formula based on the
salaries of testers?

Ta

Test Managers' salary

Post by Patrick Baile » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 11:31:43

Here's the straight poop from a human resource perspective.  Most large
corporations base salaries on the state surveys for their counties for jobs
of similar responsibility and a general skill level that comes close.
That's why they pester managers for all those job descriptions.  (there's no
secret formula for a testers, programmers etc).  Then, based on the average,
the company determines if they want to have their pay scales slightly below,
equal or slightly greater - few companies will ever set the scale to
"incredibly greater than."   In general, no human resource person focuses on
a specific position and researches it unless it's a very unusual skill (i.e.
chia pet consultant).  Of course, there are those unusual circumstances
where the price goes up because supply outstrips demand (remember all those
archaic COBOLers who got rich as consultant with the Y2K scare.)

Hope this helps.

Pat

Quote:> Is there a guideline as to the Test Manager's salary based on the tester's
> salary and the number of staff? Or is there another formula based on the
> salaries of testers?

> Ta

Test Managers' salary

Post by Scooby Do » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 03:53:11

Thanks for that. It does help but I was looking for something slightly
different.

Given a number of testers and their salary, how would someone extrapolate
the Test Managers' salary?  I know it won't be exactly accurate as a whole
multitude of factors must be taken into account, but I'm after an
approximation to gauge the estimated salary.

Thanks again

> Here's the straight poop from a human resource perspective.  Most large
> corporations base salaries on the state surveys for their counties for
jobs
> of similar responsibility and a general skill level that comes close.
> That's why they pester managers for all those job descriptions.  (there's
no
> secret formula for a testers, programmers etc).  Then, based on the
average,
> the company determines if they want to have their pay scales slightly
below,
> equal or slightly greater - few companies will ever set the scale to
> "incredibly greater than."   In general, no human resource person focuses
on
> a specific position and researches it unless it's a very unusual skill
(i.e.
> chia pet consultant).  Of course, there are those unusual circumstances
> where the price goes up because supply outstrips demand (remember all
those
> archaic COBOLers who got rich as consultant with the Y2K scare.)

> Hope this helps.

> Pat

> > Is there a guideline as to the Test Manager's salary based on the
tester's
> > salary and the number of staff? Or is there another formula based on the
> > salaries of testers?

> > Ta

Test Managers' salary

Post by Patrick Baile » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 06:53:17

Like any other situation, the manager typically makes 10-20% more than the
highest paid person reporting directly to them.  It doesn't matter if you're
managing a testers, developers, janitors or what.  I've seldom seen much
variation on this (of course there's always an exception).  Keep in mind,
pay scales are seldom set by the perceived value of the CIO - they're
determined by general rules of thumb.  For what it's worth, this is based on
30 years of observing pay scales in highly technical and non-technical
fields.

> Thanks for that. It does help but I was looking for something slightly
> different.

> Given a number of testers and their salary, how would someone extrapolate
> the Test Managers' salary?  I know it won't be exactly accurate as a whole
> multitude of factors must be taken into account, but I'm after an
> approximation to gauge the estimated salary.

> Thanks again

> > Here's the straight poop from a human resource perspective.  Most large
> > corporations base salaries on the state surveys for their counties for
> jobs
> > of similar responsibility and a general skill level that comes close.
> > That's why they pester managers for all those job descriptions.
(there's
> no
> > secret formula for a testers, programmers etc).  Then, based on the
> average,
> > the company determines if they want to have their pay scales slightly
> below,
> > equal or slightly greater - few companies will ever set the scale to
> > "incredibly greater than."   In general, no human resource person
focuses
> on
> > a specific position and researches it unless it's a very unusual skill
> (i.e.
> > chia pet consultant).  Of course, there are those unusual circumstances
> > where the price goes up because supply outstrips demand (remember all
> those
> > archaic COBOLers who got rich as consultant with the Y2K scare.)

> > Hope this helps.

> > Pat

> > > Is there a guideline as to the Test Manager's salary based on the
> tester's
> > > salary and the number of staff? Or is there another formula based on
the
> > > salaries of testers?

> > > Ta

Test Managers' salary

Post by Vince Coe » Sun, 20 Jul 2003 05:47:58

Hello Scooby!

17 Jul 03 18:53, Scooby Doo wrote to All:

 SD> Given a number of testers and their salary, how would someone
 SD> extrapolate the Test Managers' salary?  I know it won't be exactly
 SD> accurate as a whole multitude of factors must be taken into account,
 SD> but I'm after an approximation to gauge the estimated salary.

I have found that in the UK TM salaries vary heavily. They are dependant on
size of test team, responsibilities, project size etc. So being a TM for a
team of 2-4 at a rate of say 1,750 and for a team size of 8-12 the rate would
more likely be around 2,250 on the larger projects. Managing larger
teams/projects the rate can go up a lot higher i.e., around 2,500-2,750.

Tester rates by comparison are in the range 1,000 - 1,600 subject to skill
set and experience.

Vince

1. Salary for QA Lead/Manager

AJ,
 It doesn't matter if you are a single/double or triple income household.
 The criteria is the dollar amount and the number of people in the household. The correct way of putting it, is that in the Bay area for a family of 4 (assume 2 parents and 2 dependant children), a household income of less than 50K puts them in the "poor" category".

Please click the following link to reply:
http://www.qaforums.com/boards/ubb/Forum15/HTML/000501.html

2. Question related to oracles?

3. QA Manager Salaries

4. Using Microtek E6 with CD-RW & IRQs conflict?

5. INFO WANTED: Opinion of 'Test Now' 9Visual Test add-on) from Software Testing Labs?

6. Dialog boxes locking system and determining resource usage

7. Salaries for prepress managers?

8. Flash 5 and Visual Basic 6

9. New Job S-PLUS Account Manager Salary £25k+Commission!

10. Test Managers, Test Tool Experts, Test Analysts

11. graphic designer's salary - mine!

12. Germany, Engineer's salary?