End to End Web Server testing products.

Post by David Bargn » Tue, 23 May 2000 04:00:00

Hi all.

Does anyone know of a product similar to mercury interactive's Topaz ?
Which reports how quickly internet applications (banking, share deals,
auctions) respond to the end users requests?

cheers

Dave Bargna

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

End to End Web Server testing products.

Post by Barry Smit » Wed, 07 Jun 2000 04:00:00

We too are looking into tools.  Topaz looks very impressive and we are in
need of competing tools for comparison.  Any info would be greatly
appreciated.

> Hi all.

> Does anyone know of a product similar to mercury interactive's Topaz ?
> Which reports how quickly internet applications (banking, share deals,
> auctions) respond to the end users requests?

> cheers

> Dave Bargna

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

1. End to End Client/Server testing ?

I am working on a client site which is building a very large
client/server app using OS/2 workstations, OS/2 servers with
connections to mainframe CICS/DB2. Eventually they plan to upgrade the
servers and clients to NT.

I have been charged with managing the performance benchmarking of both
the host software (COBOL/CICS) using TPNS to avoid workstation and
network issues as well as the LAN (16 MB token ring). LAN testing is
done on a dedicated testing LAN using workstation scripts that emulate
the users at the workstations while connected to the IBM host and
communicating with CICS/DB2 etc.

The issue has been raised that we need to perform end to end testing
viz. determine what is the Service Level Objectives for the users as
measured at the workstation are reasonable and to set SLA's. This
would be achieved by running our LAN at production transaction volumes
(the LAN configured as a typical user installation including line
speeds to the host) as well as loading the host with transaction loads
via TPNS that would represent the other (1400+) sites that would also
be doing similar work. By measuring the response time at each
workstation in this configuration, we could get an idea of the SLO's
to expect.

I maintain that we could probably achieve similar results in an easier
manner. Host testing is going to happen anyway. By noting the host
response time in the loaded situation, and measuring the network
transit time (which should be independent of the host load) without
having to load the host, we can come to a projected end to end
response time via simple addition. Certainly the work required to do
the latter is much easier than trying to do full LAN testing while
subjecting the host to a production like load (40-50 txn's/sec). Also
there are major difficulties in trying to simulate production comms
configuration i.e. 4-way dropped 9.6K lines.

Comments?

Thanks

___

Laurence Chiu               :          Sydney, Australia

2. Metafont modes for Lexmark 4039 and 4049 printers

3. Product Announcement: Friendly tool for end-to-end timing analysis and simulation

4. AutoCAD MANUALS / 3DS LOCKS / EXTRAS

5. from web-server to back-end servers

6. Hover-button problem., please advise me!

7. What is End to End Software Testing?

8. Outlook Express timed send

9. What is front-end/back-end testing??

10. End to End Testing Definition