Defect tracking vs. Call Tracking

Post by Dov » Sat, 25 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Has anyone implemented a single solution for both defect tracking from Q/A
and call tracking for Help desk?
Any comments on this approach?

Defect tracking vs. Call Tracking

Post by Francois Marte » Sat, 25 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Simple use TestTrack.
It's a software you are possible to follow the defect.
Implement in the QA Team and Technical Support the Software Engineering or
the Project Manager will answer, correct, or whatever to do with this idea!
:))

Quote:> Has anyone implemented a single solution for both defect tracking from Q/A
> and call tracking for Help desk?
> Any comments on this approach?

Defect tracking vs. Call Tracking

Post by JJ » Sun, 26 Nov 2000 11:43:06

I don't think using a single solution for both Help Desk & QA is a good
idea.
Many of the Help Desk calls are for aid in doing such things as changing PC
times,
"how to's" on software, and some companies even use their help desk for
building service requests (repair orders, cubicle moves etc..)  I think
mixing QA bug reports and Help Desk tracking would muddy the waters.

I DO, however, think that a link between the two can be a great help, and
adding training and document links to that chain would also be beneficial.
The ability to reference training, documentation, bug reporting and help
desk tickets can help all the teams inter-communication, but mixing them
into the same app, I believe would be too difficult to manage.
--
-- Jean

Quote:> Has anyone implemented a single solution for both defect tracking from Q/A
> and call tracking for Help desk?
> Any comments on this approach?

Defect tracking vs. Call Tracking

Post by Edith Maverick-Folge » Tue, 28 Nov 2000 04:00:00

I'll point out a couple things here:

1) I think the help desk under discussion was the external one for
customers to get help with products.

2) Sometimes the calls for aid in product usage point at an area of the
product that, if improved, would result in higher customer satisfaction
and less customer service load.

I really do not know which is worse: two+ databases with links between
them, or one more complex database.  I'll go for the one database if I
possibly can because we have to validate our 3rd party software in my
industry.  (We already have software, no salesperson need call.)

Extra screens can be designed, extra querys/reports can be programmed,
and changing a customer complaint into a bug report would hopefully be
straightforward.  It might also be easier to close out a customer
complaint when the, ahem, feature is added.

You must work out your system requirements when customizing such
software.  It won't come out of the box doing what you want it to do.

Edith

> I don't think using a single solution for both Help Desk & QA is a
good
> idea.
> Many of the Help Desk calls are for aid in doing such things as
changing PC
> times,
> "how to's" on software, and some companies even use their help desk
for
> building service requests (repair orders, cubicle moves etc..)  I
think
> mixing QA bug reports and Help Desk tracking would muddy the waters.

> I DO, however, think that a link between the two can be a great help,
and
> adding training and document links to that chain would also be
beneficial.
> The ability to reference training, documentation, bug reporting and
help
> desk tickets can help all the teams inter-communication, but mixing
them
> into the same app, I believe would be too difficult to manage.
> --
> -- Jean

> > Has anyone implemented a single solution for both defect tracking
from Q/A
> > and call tracking for Help desk?
> > Any comments on this approach?

--
When we are unable to find tranquility within
ourselves, it is useless to seek it elsewhere.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Defect tracking vs. Call Tracking

Post by erica_d_.. » Wed, 06 Dec 2000 04:00:00

There are 10 programmers in my company, so we are
quite small. We use a product that tracks
faults/problems from our customers, via eMail or
telephone, and then carries this through the
software development process, including
testing/reviews etc. We missed loads of stuff
before, so it's a definate improvement for us. A
new manager introduced this, and ir's worked well.

We use Serio. www.seriosoft.com. Don't know of
anything else I can recommend.

Erica
"The Archers is not about life and death,
it's more important than that!"

Quote:> I'll point out a couple things here:

> 1) I think the help desk under discussion was

the external one for
Quote:> customers to get help with products.

> 2) Sometimes the calls for aid in product usage

point at an area of the
Quote:> product that, if improved, would result in

higher customer satisfaction
Quote:> and less customer service load.

> I really do not know which is worse: two+

databases with links between
Quote:> them, or one more complex database.  I'll go

for the one database if I
Quote:> possibly can because we have to validate our

3rd party software in my
Quote:> industry.  (We already have software, no

salesperson need call.)
Quote:

> Extra screens can be designed, extra

querys/reports can be programmed,
Quote:> and changing a customer complaint into a bug

report would hopefully be
Quote:> straightforward.  It might also be easier to

close out a customer
Quote:> complaint when the, ahem, feature is added.

> You must work out your system requirements when
customizing such
> software.  It won't come out of the box doing

what you want it to do.
Quote:

> Edith

> In article <_GFT5.17711

> > I don't think using a single solution for

both Help Desk & QA is a
Quote:> good
> > idea.
> > Many of the Help Desk calls are for aid in

doing such things as
Quote:> changing PC
> > times,
> > "how to's" on software, and some companies

even use their help desk
Quote:> for
> > building service requests (repair orders,

cubicle moves etc..)  I
Quote:> think
> > mixing QA bug reports and Help Desk tracking

would muddy the waters.
Quote:

> > I DO, however, think that a link between the

two can be a great help,
Quote:> and
> > adding training and document links to that
chain would also be
> beneficial.
> > The ability to reference training,

documentation, bug reporting and
Quote:> help
> > desk tickets can help all the teams inter-

communication, but mixing
Quote:> them
> > into the same app, I believe would be too

difficult to manage.
> > --
> > -- Jean

> > > Has anyone implemented a single solution

for both defect tracking

Quote:> from Q/A
> [...]

Quote:> and
> > adding training and document links to that
chain would also be
> beneficial.
> > The ability to reference training,

documentation, bug reporting and
Quote:> help
> > desk tickets can help all the teams inter-

communication, but mixing
Quote:> them
> > into the same app, I believe would be too

difficult to manage.
> > --
> > -- Jean

> > > Has anyone implemented a single solution

for both defect tracking

Quote:> from Q/A
> > > and call tracking for Help desk?
> > > Any comments on this approach?

> --
> When we are unable to find tranquility within
> ourselves, it is useless to seek it elsewhere.

1. Good defect-tracking/call-tracking/KB combo?

Right in the middle of evaluating defect-tracking systems, I've now
been asked to find a call-tracking and knowledgebase system that all
integrate well together.

I'm at least a little familiar with most of the defect-tracking systems
out there. So far, the companion call-tracking systems seem more of an
afterthought, and knowledgebases are few and far between.

Are any of you working with a combination of these three tools that
play together well?  They don't have to be from the same vendor, but
need to integrate well.

Ryk McDorman
Intellocity, USA, Inc.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. ITG - Job Opportunity for "Java Developer" Position based in Washington, DC for about 6 months tenure.

3. Open source defect tracking software, issue tracking software

4. "Multiple Personalities" in Eudora Pro 3.0

5. Avoid this Defect Tracking Tool: Track from Soffront

6. "100% EMBROIDERED FLAG PATCHES"

7. Found a nice hvac site

8. Notes Defect Tracking Database Form or Change Control Tracking form designs

9. Bug Tracking, Project Issue Tracking, Test Tracking, System Integration Free Software on Sourceforge

10. Support call tracking and license tracking software info

11. Idea: Why not to use surface optical tracking for position tracking?

12. old track -> new track