Shell Command Line Length & Command Line Function Resolution

Shell Command Line Length & Command Line Function Resolution

Post by Alan Solow » Sat, 17 May 2003 04:24:02



I am trying to update the tornado 2.0.2 vxworks kernel for two different
issues:

1) I would like to increase the maximum command buffer length for the serial
terminal.  It is currently limited to 128 characters.  I cannot find a #define
for that value.

2) I would like to have overloaded functions automatically resolved for command
line execution to the non-object function as follows:

foo(int,int)
foo_obj::foo(int,int)

When entering foo(0,1) at the serial command line, I want it automatically
resolved to the function foo() and not foo_obj::foo().  The shell prompts for
function resolution, but I don't want our users burdoned with that question
since they will always be referring to foo() and not foo_obj::foo().

 
 
 

Shell Command Line Length & Command Line Function Resolution

Post by Joh » Sat, 17 May 2003 10:02:03


Hello,

Quote:> 1) I would like to increase the maximum command buffer length for the serial
> terminal.  It is currently limited to 128 characters.  I cannot find a #define
> for that value.

No, you can't change this value without recompiling the shell. You
will need to ask Wind River for the source, or pay them to recompile
it with a different maximum length.

Quote:> 2) I would like to have overloaded functions automatically resolved for command
> line execution to the non-object function as follows:

> foo(int,int)
> foo_obj::foo(int,int)

> When entering foo(0,1) at the serial command line, I want it automatically
> resolved to the function foo() and not foo_obj::foo().  The shell prompts for
> function resolution, but I don't want our users burdoned with that question
> since they will always be referring to foo() and not foo_obj::foo().

I would suggest that you make all symbols locals (or simply remove
them totally) once you have everything loaded. That will leave just
the ones you want in place.

That said, allowing unrestricted user access to the target shell is
something that I would recommend you do with extreme caution. There
are lots of things that they can call from the shell that will cause
odd problems. Since you have two problems with the shell, perhaps it
might be worth your while to create your own, simpler/safer one for
your end users?

HTH,
John...

=====
Contribute to the VxWorks Cookbook at:
http://www.bluedonkey.org/cgi-bin/twiki/bin/view/Books/WebHome

 
 
 

Shell Command Line Length & Command Line Function Resolution

Post by David Laigh » Sat, 17 May 2003 21:00:58


Quote:> I would suggest that you make all symbols locals (or simply remove
> them totally) once you have everything loaded. That will leave just
> the ones you want in place.

Alternatively, look at the way the builtin symbol tabel is generated
and hand-craft an equivalent C file that contains the symbols you need
(and all the showxxxx functions etc).

If you aren't dynamically loading code that should be fine.

With a bit of playing with the code, it is possible to add a command
that will load the full table over the network.

However if the main user interface if the console, write a little
command interpreter - they aren't hard!

        David

 
 
 

1. Two subjects: shell command length & command line overloaded function resolution

I am trying to update the tornado 2.0.2 vxworks kernel for two different
issues:

1) I would like to increase the maximum command buffer length for the serial
terminal.  It is currently limited to 128 characters.  I cannot find a #define
for that value.

2) I would like to have overloaded functions automatically resolved for command
line execution to the non-object function as follows:

foo(int,int)
foo_obj::foo(int,int)

When entering foo(0,1) at the serial command line, I want it automatically
resolved to the function foo() and not foo_obj::foo().  The shell prompts for
function resolution, but I don't want our users burdoned with that question
since they will always be referring to foo() and not foo_obj::foo().

2. problem with compilation

3. Coalescing command-line and command-line-window?

4. PCMCIA Modems & HP620LX

5. increasing target shell command line length

6. Strange w98 client question

7. Wanted: CM11A W98 DOS command line program to perform immediate commands

8. Win98 shuts itself down!!

9. Idea: native NewDOS command line (command.geo)

10. kerbnet 1.2 command line i/f misssing commands?

11. vi commands on command line

12. Command Line Batching for Document Insert Command?

13. command-line commands within a Perl script