VXWTask vs task lifecycle

Post by Jean-Fran?ois Dau » Tue, 06 Mar 2001 18:05:06

Hi all,

I use VXWTask class in my application, and the WRS documentation
provides no information about the lifecycle of a VXWTask object vs the
lifecycle of its associated VxWorks task (A comparison of both).

I am concerned by the task deletion.  I wonder what is the state of
the VXWTask object when the task completes (entry function returns) or
is deleted from the WindShell (using td).

I also wonder if the object is deleted by the OS  (i.e, ~VXWTask stops
the task, but does the reciprocal relationship exist ?), or if I have
to free the resources myself (i.e., call the destructor)  ?

Any help is welcome.

Thanks & Regards,

Jean-Fran?ois Daune

VXWTask vs task lifecycle

Post by Pierre Frigo » Thu, 08 Mar 2001 13:36:03

I beleive that all these wrappers are provided in source form. Look at the
code for this class.

> Hi all,

> I use VXWTask class in my application, and the WRS documentation
> provides no information about the lifecycle of a VXWTask object vs the
> lifecycle of its associated VxWorks task (A comparison of both).

> I am concerned by the task deletion.  I wonder what is the state of
> the VXWTask object when the task completes (entry function returns) or
> is deleted from the WindShell (using td).

> I also wonder if the object is deleted by the OS  (i.e, ~VXWTask stops
> the task, but does the reciprocal relationship exist ?), or if I have
> to free the resources myself (i.e., call the destructor)  ?

> Any help is welcome.

> Thanks & Regards,

> Jean-Fran?ois Daune

1. Ada Tasking/Rendezvous vs. VxWorks Tasking

Hello,

We are developing a real-time embedded application in Ada (and C as well).  Our
target is the PowerPC (MVME 1603) and are using Green Hill's Multi Cross
Compiler and VxWorks 5.3.  We are in the detailed design phase of the project
and looking to use the VxWorks tasking model (tasks, message queues, and
semaphores) versus using the Ada language Task Structure and the Rendezvous.  We
have been told (by WRS) that VxWorks tasking is more efficient and less overhead
then Ada's.  Has anyone out there performed a trade study or have hard
throughput numbers to back this up?  Our customer is familiar with Ada tasking
and not VxWorks and wants justification why we think VxWorks tasks are the way
to go.  I'm posing the question and hoping to receive an answer, otherwise we
are going to have to do this study.

Thanks in advance,
Sue Henry
Lockheed Martin

2. Network Not Recognized

3. Tying a task to the start of 1 task and the end of task 2

4. Problems with Lan Workplace winsock and PC-PINE for windows

5. PowerBuilder vs VisualBasic vs Oracle's CDE vs C++ vs SQLWindows vs ?

6. adding an external HD to an SS2

7. VB 3.0 vs PB vs Access 2.0 vs Oracle CDE vs SQL Windows vs C++

8. vxwtask

9. VXWTask class

10. Quark VS Frame VS PageMaker VS Ventura VS Word97