Tornado for Windows multi-user?

Post by Tim Sohack » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00

We'd like to be able to install Tornado for Windows once,
say on a server, and then be able to run those executables
in the lab or at your desk.  Has anyone setup a configuration
like this?

(According to TSR# 30417, Tornado for Windows must be installed
by each user; this is dated Apr 16, 1996.)

Also, is it possible to copy target server configurations from
one installation to another on Windows?   And does anyone know
where the information for target servers configured via the
GU is stored?  I haven't been able to find it on my PC.

Sigh ... things are so much simpler with the Unix installation.

Cheers,
Tim

--
Tim Sohacki, Nortel Networks

Post by John Cha » Wed, 27 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>We'd like to be able to install Tornado for Windows once,
>say on a server, and then be able to run those executables
>in the lab or at your desk.  Has anyone setup a configuration
>like this?

>(According to TSR# 30417, Tornado for Windows must be installed
>by each user; this is dated Apr 16, 1996.)

I think Tornado relies on information stored in the registry, try installing
it once then looking for the registry entries... then duplicate them in the
next machine, add a shortcut to start Tornado and see what happens.

Run regedit from the start menu then use 'find key' (or whatever it's called)
and search for vxWorks. I think you can save part of the registry then import
them into another machine. If you find out how to do this I urge you to
extreme caution, one of our people sent a 'helpful' email with some registry
mods and nearly got killed for his troubles.

Quote:>Sigh ... things are so much simpler with the Unix installation.

Tell me about it, I can swap architectures at the drop of a hat on Solaris but
on NT I have only ARM and dare not try anything else.

Let us know if you manage to copy the registry settings.

JRC

Tornado for Windows multi-user?

Post by Jones, Chris L » Fri, 29 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Tim,

The following is a post from the VxWorks newsgroup from a few years ago
which addresses installation of Tornado in a single server location.

The real question is whether or not WindRiver has addressed the installation
problem in the new Tornado II release. We are having them in next week to
discuss Tornado II and I plan to bring it up.

Let me know if you find a solution. We will be doing the same thing in a
month or two.

Chris Jones

Northrop Grumman - Electronic Sensors and Systems

     > --MimeMultipartBoundary
     >

     > >We have installed the Tornado tree on each machine and are copying
     the
     > >"\tornado\target" tree each time a change in the kernel is made.
     This
     > >adds some amount of administration but it works.
     >
     > It is not necessary to install the entire Tornado tree on each NT
     machine.  We have had a lot of
     > success with maintaining Tornado on a single machine and using NT
     sharing and drive mapping
     > to provide access to other machines.  The only thing that needs to
     be done on the remote
     > machines to support this is to define the environment variables
     WIND_BASE and
     > WIND_REGISTRY to contain the path of the base of the Tornado tree
     and the name of the
     > machine on which the Wind Registry is running, respectively.  (The
     hosts file must also contain
     > the IP address of the registry machine.)  Adding the Portmapper to
     the startup group on the
     > remote machine completes the setup.
     >
     > Charlie Grames
     > The Boeing Company
     > (314) 233-1956

     > --MimeMultipartBoundary--

     I had the same problem we have 10 designers working with Tornado 1.0.1
     on WindowsNT Workstations and one Windows NT server.

     I set it up this way:
     I made a full installation of Tornado on the server and also installed
     the portmapper and the registry as a service and installed the
     license-manager.

     For the workstations I wrote a Tornado-client-installation-wizzard,
     which adds an icon in a program-group in the startup-menu referencing
     the Tornado.exe-file on the server. Additionaly this wizzard edits the
     registry in the Tornado-key and adds the licenseId,
     WINDBASE=\\server\tornado, WINDREGISTRY=\\server, etc.

     This configurations gives me the possibility to maintain the
     installation centrally on the server, e.g if I write a new tcl-script
     and extend Tornado it is available for all the users and all the files
     are just located on the server and not duplicated on every client.

     Hope this helps

     Herbert Fuereder

Tornado for Windows multi-user?

Post by Charlie Grame » Sat, 30 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Tim,

We have successfully done what you describe:

1) Install Tornado on a server machine.  Install the portmapper and Wind
Registry as services.

2) Map the Tornado base directory (C:\Tornado) as a network drive on a
client machine.  As an example, assume you map it as drive T:.

3) Add the system environment variables WIND_BASE (the path to the Tornado
base directory as seen from the client machine) and WIND_REGISTRY (the name
for the server as found in the hosts file or IP address of the server) to
the client environment (Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> System ->
Environment).  You will probably want to add T:\host\x86-win32\bin to your
path, as well.

4) Add a shortcut to T:\host\x86-win32\portmap.exe to your Windows startup
folder.

5) Add a shortcut to T:\host\x86-wind32\tornado.exe to your desktop or
wherever you want it.

The only shortcoming of this system is if you plan to have multiple
developers making simultaneous changes to the kernel.  We have had success
in creating separate BSP directories (e.g., mv2700.george, mv2700.ralph,
etc.).

As far as the target server information is concerned, it is stored in the
Windows Registry.  You can use regedit and search for "tgtsvr".  You can
export registry entries from one machine and import them on another.  I'm
not going to advise you on mucking with the Windows Registry:  I'd recommend
you get a good reference on it and feel confident about what you are doing
before changing it.

HTH

Charlie Grames
The Boeing Company
(314) 233-1956

-----

Newsgroups: comp.os.vxworks
Subject: Tornado for Windows multi-user?
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 12:32:46 -0500

We'd like to be able to install Tornado for Windows once,
say on a server, and then be able to run those executables
in the lab or at your desk.  Has anyone setup a configuration
like this?

(According to TSR# 30417, Tornado for Windows must be installed
by each user; this is dated Apr 16, 1996.)

Also, is it possible to copy target server configurations from
one installation to another on Windows?   And does anyone know
where the information for target servers configured via the
GU is stored?  I haven't been able to find it on my PC.

Sigh ... things are so much simpler with the Unix installation.

Cheers,
Tim

- --
Tim Sohacki, Nortel Networks

1. multi-user test tools for Windows

Hello,

I am responsible for testing a Windows  n-tier product and want to find
a tool that will allow me to simulate multiple users in various scales
of usage. I have looked at a few tools (LoadTest and Prevue from SQA)
and after I double checked to ensure that the prices were in American
dollars thought I might look elsewhere. My budget does not allow me to
spend $40K-60K for a single tool. I prefer a tool that allows me to
create virtual users instead of one that requires a physical machine for
every user. Since our shop only has about 30 machines and I'd like to
simulate 10, 20, 50, 100 concurrent users, this ability of creating
virtual machines is real important to me.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Rich Nichols
QA Manager
Riverton Software

2. Newbie question - Rips and Iso's

3. Using OE on Multi-User Computers in Windows 98SE

4. erste Programmiersprache

5. multi-user and multi-level database access

6. laptop NIC not working

7. PPTP VPN +XBOX = Playing HALO multi-user over the internet

8. Beta Testing Opportunity (multi-user cordless phone)

9. Multi-user card for PC

10. ROM monitor error --- Solved..Now boot in Multi-user mode.

11. Design ideas for a multi-user spreadsheet?

12. Multi-user Test Scripts