Compatibility of 3COM Etherlink III 3C509 Network Interface Card **ISA**

Compatibility of 3COM Etherlink III 3C509 Network Interface Card **ISA**

Post by Bahri Okurogl » Wed, 07 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I plan to buy a "3COM Etherlink III 3C509" NIC for our pc486 target
system. In the documentation (VxWorks Reference Manual 5.3.1 pg1-123,
if_elt), it's told that the EISA version is not supported.

Currently I do not know if PCI version of the card exists, but can
anyone confirm that the "ISA" version of the card is compatible with
VxWorks?

Waiting for comments from the users of this card and other VxGurus.

Cheers,

Bahri OKUROGLU

Software Design Engineer                 Netas R&D RT6

http://193.140.184.5/r748/member/bahrio     (internal)
Netas   Alemdag Cad.   Umraniye 81244  ISTANBUL TURKEY

Post by Frank Minic » Wed, 07 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I plan to buy a "3COM Etherlink III 3C509" NIC for our pc486 target
> system. In the documentation (VxWorks Reference Manual 5.3.1 pg1-123,
> if_elt), it's told that the EISA version is not supported.

> Currently I do not know if PCI version of the card exists, but can
> anyone confirm that the "ISA" version of the card is compatible with
> VxWorks?

The "elt" driver is compatible with with the 3C509, which is an ISA
card.  There was a bug in the driver having to do with discarding
partially-received packets, but we provided this info to WRS - don't
know if they fixed the version they distribute.

The "elt" WRS driver is not autoconfiguring, so you have to use the DOS
utility 3c5x9cfg.exe to set the card so that it is not Plug-and-Play,
and set the card's base address and interrupt to the same values you
specified for the driver's eltattach().

An obsolete/obsolescent PCI version of the card was built (3C590), but
it required rework of the 3C509 driver (to setup the PCI registers).
We have provided that reworked driver back to WRS (in a trade), so it
may be available from them.

The follow-on (now obsolete/obsolescent) 3c905 (i.e., the original
version, not the 3C905B) had a programming model which was compatible
with the 3C590, so with minor changes the 3C590 driver would work with
it (the "model number" in the PCI configuration space is different
from the "model number" for the 3c590).

The current-generation 3C905B uses exclusively an OHCI-like (i.e.,
taking much greater advantage of the PCI card's bus mastering
capability) programming model, and so is incompatible with the
original or reworked driver.

Regards,
Frank Minich

Compatibility of 3COM Etherlink III 3C509 Network Interface Card **ISA**

Post by Thomas Hiebe » Wed, 07 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I plan to buy a "3COM Etherlink III 3C509" NIC for our pc486 target
> system. In the documentation (VxWorks Reference Manual 5.3.1 pg1-123,
> if_elt), it's told that the EISA version is not supported.

> Currently I do not know if PCI version of the card exists, but can
> anyone confirm that the "ISA" version of the card is compatible with
> VxWorks?

Well, it should work. But not all combinations of targets and network-cards
are supposed to work. Some don't, even it would work with DOS or Windows on
the same hardware. WRS says, that they can't guarantee, that every card will
work with every target. So it would be a good idea, to grab such a card from
an other PC and try it out, befor you buy one. (We had a target, that would
not work with a 3C509 and VxWorks, though DOS worked OK with the card, so I
can confirm, that there are combinations that won't work)
You shouldn't think of a PC as a standardized platform. There are many
possible variations with PC hardware, and unless your hardware provider will
give you a guarantee, that your target will work with VxWorks you will have
to try yourself. (The fact, that DOS, Windows, Linux or anything other works
with the hardware, doesn't mean it will work with VxWorks, though it
probably will!)

Thomas

1. Problems with 3Com EtherLink III 3C509-COMBO ISA on NS 3.3(intel)

We are having serious problems with one of our old intel boxes running
NS3.3.  We have a 3Com EtherLink III 3C509-COMBO ISA and we downloaded
the latest driver from NextAnswers.  The card works but the performace
is horrendous:  netstat -i shows loads of errors ( >20% packets).  We
have discarded an ethernet card error because we have used the very
same card in a linux box and it works fine.  We are almost sure that
it is not a network problem, but we are not 100% sure.  If anyone else
has had experience with this configuration and can tell us about it,
we'd appreaciate it.

Cheers,

Jose

--
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+
| Dr Jose M Figueroa-O'Farrill     | Vox: +44.171.975-5055            |

| Mile End Road, London E1 4NS, UK |                                  |
|                                 and                                 |
|           http://stringswww.ph.qmw.ac.uk/~jmf/jmf.html              |
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+

2. Need SQL admin IN Corning, NY

3. Q: 3Com 3C509 Etherlink III TP

4. [PP] C++ 68K Code Resource

5. How to install 3Com EtherLink III ISA(3C509b-TP0) driver for VxWorks?

6. AIX bellmail sendmail 8.6.9 From line

7. 3Com Etherlink III compatibility

8. Updated FAIR-list

9. 3COM EtherLink III Card With NS3.3?

10. Driver for 3Com 3c-509 Series Cards (Etherlink III)

11. 3Com Etherlink III PC Card

12. WTB: 3Com Etherlink II and III Cards.

13. scanjet 2 cx & 3Com 3c509 network card