VxWorks web servers & server pages technologies

VxWorks web servers & server pages technologies

Post by Lin, Ping [TOR:9T00:EXCH » Mon, 18 Jun 2001 05:36:29

Hi,

     I'm looking at the possibility of creating dynamic web server pages
(similar to JSP/ASP) on VxWorks, and was wondering if the users of this
newsgroup can give me some pointers on:

1) Is Apache or any other web server available for VxWorks, besides the Wind
web server?

2) Is there an implementation of JSP, Java servlets or similar server pages
technology available for VxWorks?

Thanks in advance,
Ping Lin

VxWorks web servers & server pages technologies

Post by Eran Glus » Tue, 19 Jun 2001 23:19:30

Try www.goahead.com - they have a free web server already ported for VxWorks.

Quote:> Hi,

Post by Les Hamme » Wed, 20 Jun 2001 02:01:20

> Try www.goahead.com - they have a free web server already ported for VxWorks.

Some caveats:
1) I tried to use goahead.  I ran into a problem where something wasn't working right.
    Since this was a free web server, there was no one to answer my questions and get
    the problem fixed.  (They have a news group, but unless a willing and knowlegable
    person is there, you are on your own.)

2) Goahead requires you to display their logo on your main page.  Company lawyers
     don't like that.

3) Goahead requires that you allow them to display your company's logo.  Company
     lawyers *really* don't like that.  (It is disliked so much, that unless you obtain
     special permission, you can be terminated from HP or Agilent Technologies for
     giving goahead permission to do it.  Other companies may have similar policies.)

4) Lawyers also don't like the concept of, if goahead just happened to use somebody
    else's copyrighted code (knowingly or unknowingly), it is our company that can be
    sued.  (To be more specific, our lawyers don't like that.  The lawyers of the guy
    who's copyright you are violating will love it.)

You get what you pay for.  If your needs are simple and you are a small company
without lawyers who worry a lot, goahead may work fine for you.  If you may need
help with your web page, or you want to keep your company's lawyers happy,
buy a web server.  The small fees and purchase price is not worth the hassles.

Les

VxWorks web servers & server pages technologies

What is the performance hit on the target machine using a web server such as goahead?