check if CRC error in ethernet frame

Post by js_.. » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

If I get an ethernet frame through the etherInputHookAdd(inputHook), how
do I find out if there is an CRC error in the frame within the inputHook
function?

Thanks,
Jun

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

check if CRC error in ethernet frame

Post by Hwa Jin Ba » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

you can't find out status of CRC error via ether hooks.
however, if you have driver code you will notice that there is
a device dependent way of handling CRC errors.  depending on
which ethernet chip you use, you may be able to program the
chip to allow corrupted (CRC error'ed) frames to be accepted.
normally such frames are thrown out before it gets dma'ed
into driver buffer space.  once accepted with error (this
will be flagg'ed in "status" bit in most ethernet chips),
you may do with it as you please (e.g. verify CRC in software
or attempt to correct the frame).