Intel Jpeg library thread-safe?

Post by Andrew Hayle » Sat, 25 Nov 2000 04:00:00

We're currently using the Intel JPEG library (v1.5) under MS Visual
C++. We have a dual-processor system and have to decompress and render
several images to screen at once, so we want to use multi-threading.
The problem appears to be that when two threads attempt to use the IJL
routines simultaneously, the decompressed image gets corrupted.

Although the IJL documentation says that multi-threading should be OK
as long as separate JPEG core properties are used, we suspect that the
IJL routines are not completely thread-safe. Does anyone have any
experience to back up this conclusion, and - even better - to fix the
problem?

thanks,
Andrew.

--
Andrew Haylett                      Tel. +44 1763 852222 Fax. +44 1763 853324

Primagraphics, Nr. Cambridge, UK    Web: http://www.primagraphics.co.uk/