realtime MPEG Audio Layer 3 hardware encoder for PC available?

realtime MPEG Audio Layer 3 hardware encoder for PC available?

Post by Brad Bayl » Fri, 23 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Does anyone know if a realtime MPEG Audio Layer 3 hardware encoder is
available for the PC? I'm envisioning an under $400 card that plugs in
to an ISA slot and accepts line level audio inputs and generates a
Layer 3 compressed file to disk. This would be audio only, no video.
 A DOS command line interface would be nice to make it easy to control
from a script file or another program.
Has anyone seen such an animal?
It would seem that sound card manufacturers would offer something like
this, but I haven't found one.

One other question, maybe a little off topic, but I'm also looking for
a DOS command line PCM WAV file generator, that records up to 44.1k
sample/sec stereo and writes the file to disk, and has an input on the
command line for recording time. Creative Labs shipped one of these
with my 3 year old Soundblaster 16, but it loses data when recording
above about 30000 samples/sec (even writing to a ram disk). Cooledit
(Windows) records fine at 44.1k, but I need a DOS command line program
for simple automatic operation via a script.

Thanks!

Brad Baylor

Post by Randolf Schul » Fri, 23 Aug 1996 04:00:00

: Does anyone know if a realtime MPEG Audio Layer 3 hardware encoder is
: available for the PC? I'm envisioning an under $400 card that plugs in
: to an ISA slot and accepts line level audio inputs and generates a
: Layer 3 compressed file to disk. This would be audio only, no video.
:  A DOS command line interface would be nice to make it easy to control
: from a script file or another program.
: Has anyone seen such an animal?

No. And you probably won't find one for just $400. LIII _is_ superior
to LII, but it needs simply to much cpu to encode!
I am heading to an LII or LI encoder using Motorolas EVM
DSP 56002 (which is surely not fast enough for LIII btw.), connected via
a special HostInterface to my PC.
(This Interface does 3M/s and was published
in a german electronics journal, Elrad 6/96)
EVM - 240DM
Interface - 60DM (Kit)
Additional Parts - 30DM
 -> $220
(There is a special offer for limited time, EVM for just $80, see comp.sys.dsp)

[...]

cu,
--

Anglizismen sind out!

realtime MPEG Audio Layer 3 hardware encoder for PC available?

Post by Pieter Kunst & Heidrun Steinhause » Sat, 24 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> Does anyone know if a realtime MPEG Audio Layer 3 hardware encoder is
> available for the PC? I'm envisioning an under $400 card that plugs in
> to an ISA slot and accepts line level audio inputs and generates a
> Layer 3 compressed file to disk. This would be audio only, no video.

Hi Brad, Take a look at:
  http://win.bda.de/bda/int/proaudio/dialog4/

For more info on MPEG audio layer 3, try:
  http://www.iis.fhg.de/departs/amm/layer3/sw/index.html

Pieter.

1. MPEG 1 Layer 3 Audio encoder source?

Does anyone has seen the source for a MPEG 1 Layer 3 Audio encoder? I am aware of
the one done by the FhG but this is not available on the net as source code.

Have a nice day

        - Frank

---

NeXTSTEP, Linux & PostScript Guy              "In cantonese C++ is called C ga ga"

2. Web server - No authentication methods enabled??? Please help....

3. MPEG layer 3 audio encoder

4. Wanted: Speccy tapes

5. ISO/MPEG Audio Layer-3 Windows Realtime Player

6. Ticking Mac Theory #28

7. MPEG realtime hardware encoders?

8. Windows-1252 code page Encoding

9. MPEG I Layer 3 audio *hardware*?

10. MPEG Audio encoder hardware

11. Any MPEG Layer 3 audio decoder chips available?

12. Master's thesis report on a DSP-implementation of MPEG-1 Layer-3 audio available