Wondering!

Post by Yakum » Wed, 12 May 1999 04:00:00

When I saw the 'Final Fantasy VII' movies on the Play Station, I thought
there were the best
animations I've ever seen. The image quality was really good: full
screen, about 25-30 fps,
and high resolution and true color. Then I got the version for the PC.
The image was in true
color, about the same frame rate, but the image quality was very poor,
and in low resolution,
I supose 320x240 (4:3 aspect).
Then it came 'Resident Evil 2'. The same, god image, high resolution,
full screen...
I have the PC version. Now it is in high resolution, but isn't in full
screen, is a type of
'cinemascope'. The image appears like if it was softened, like as we see
with a not good
enfoqued lentzs. The compression system was Indeo video 5+, and I was
very dissapointed.
On my pentium 120MHz the sound runs faster that the image, and the image
goes slow.

That makes me wonder something. What type of audio-video compression
system has the Play
Station? The animations have better quality because they are seen by the
TV(interlace, I supose),
or it is because the compression system is better than Indeo, Mpeg1,
Mpeg2 or whatever.

How can be so much video in a CD of 650Mb of capacity and with that
quality? Anybody
can explain me how the compression system is called? Is there any trial
version or shareware
encoder and decoder? Thanks.

David.

Wondering!

Post by Chris Jon » Wed, 12 May 1999 04:00:00

> When I saw the 'Final Fantasy VII' movies on the Play Station, I thought
> there were the best

Etc.
<Snip>

Quote:> That makes me wonder something. What type of audio-video compression
> system has the Play
> Station? The animations have better quality because they are seen by the
> TV(interlace, I supose),
> or it is because the compression system is better than Indeo, Mpeg1,
> Mpeg2 or whatever.

This is because the playstation has a dedicated graphics chip that handles
this special type of data (Video) it can take the information straight
from cd - do the decompression - and place the image on screen without
using the CPU at all.
PC's cant do this as the CPU has to control all 3 of these tasks therefore
has less time to do the decompression (this is the bit that really
determines the size and quality of the film)

Quote:> How can be so much video in a CD of 650Mb of capacity and with that
> quality? Anybody can explain me how the compression system is called? Is
> there any trial version or shareware encoder and decoder? Thanks.

Its a Sony format and (As far as I'm aware is not an open format) but its
the dedicated hardware that makes the difference not the codec used (Ok I
know this isn't STRICTLY true - But for the sake of argument in this case
it is.)

Quote:> David.

LOVE & HUGS
CHRIS

(Anco software)

Wondering!

Post by Francisco Javier Cresp » Fri, 14 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> ...
> What type of audio-video compression system has the Play Station?
> How can be so much video in a CD of 650Mb of capacity and with that
> quality? Anybody can explain me how the compression system is called?
> Is there any trial version or shareware encoder and decoder? Thanks.

Well, I have not programming info, but there are several utilities out
there that extract the audio/video files our of a CD-XA Mode 2 CDROM, like
the PlayStation one. There are also utilities that convert sound in
animations to 37800 Hz WAV files, there is a program that can use any CODEC
you have installed in your PC to convert the PSX animation into an AVI (it
takes ages!) and finally, there are even video and audio players for PC
that run smooth at 266 MHz (or skipping frames at lower CPU speeds).

More information (japanese sites) can be found at:
http://home.highway.or.jp/soltin/
http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley/3114

Enjoy!