Mpeg 1 audio Layer 3

Post by Franc » Tue, 09 Feb 1999 04:00:00

MPEG Audio is a family of perceptual codecs. It makes heavy use of
characteristics of human hearing. Apart from knowledge about data
compression, understanding what happens requires knowledge of audio and
psycho-acoustics as well.

If you want to implement something that complies to the standard, you
absolutely need the standard (ISO/IEC 11172-3 , inquire at www.iso.ch). The
standard describes exactly how a decoder must behave, and it gives an
example what an encoder can do.

Layer III is quite complex to understand. Consider layers I and II first.

--
Franc

(Plan a reply? Use the newsgroup or get rid of my anti-spam measures)
Hi

I am during a project about Data Compression and my project group and I
have thought of focusing on Mpeg and more specific, Audio Layer 3. As we
have little or no knowledge of data compression, we have searched the
internet and read some books. And here comes our problem:

We can't seem to find any material on Mpeg layer 3 of a technical and
tutorial-based nature. All the material we have found is eihter very
"populistic" in its description of the coding or it is completely out of
our league, technically.

If anyone has any information on Mpeg layer 3 or know where to find it,
please mail me.

Thanks,

David Bych
Student of Computer Science

  _     _  _    _  _    _  _      _
| |   | || \  | || |  | |\ \    / / |
| |   | ||  \ | || |  | | \ \  / /  | David Bych
| |   | ||   \| || |  | |  \ \/ /   | F?lledvej 2b, 9210 Aalborg S?
| |   | || |\   || |  | |  / /\ \   | Denmark

|____||_||_|  \_||______|/_/    \_\ |

Mpeg 1 audio Layer 3

Post by David Byc » Tue, 09 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi

I am during a project about Data Compression and my project group and I
have thought of focusing on Mpeg and more specific, Audio Layer 3. As we
have little or no knowledge of data compression, we have searched the
internet and read some books. And here comes our problem:

We can't seem to find any material on Mpeg layer 3 of a technical and
tutorial-based nature. All the material we have found is eihter very
"populistic" in its description of the coding or it is completely out of
our league, technically.

If anyone has any information on Mpeg layer 3 or know where to find it,
please mail me.

Thanks,

David Bych
Student of Computer Science

  _     _  _    _  _    _  _      _
 | |   | || \  | || |  | |\ \    / / |
 | |   | ||  \ | || |  | | \ \  / /  | David Bych
 | |   | ||   \| || |  | |  \ \/ /   | F?lledvej 2b, 9210 Aalborg S?
 | |   | || |\   || |  | |  / /\ \   | Denmark

 |____||_||_|  \_||______|/_/    \_\ |

Mpeg 1 audio Layer 3

Post by Menashe Haski » Tue, 09 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Best option, of course, is to purchase the standard itself:
ISO/IEC 11172-3. You can buy it online from www.iso.ch .

Cheers,
Menashe.

--
Menashe Haskin
Zapex Research

http://www.zapex.co.il

Mpeg 1 audio Layer 3

Post by Mark Nelso » Tue, 09 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I am during a project about Data Compression and my project group and I
>have thought of focusing on Mpeg and more specific, Audio Layer 3. As we
>have little or no knowledge of data compression, we have searched the
>internet and read some books. And here comes our problem:

You don't say anything about what level course you or taking, or how much
time
you have to devote to this. I would just say that for a group that has
little or
no knowledge of data compression, you are tackling a rather ambitious
project.
You might do better doing a survey project of audio compression in general,
with specific implementations of some simpler algorithms.

--

| See my crossword on the DDJ web site: http://www.ddj.com/crosswd

We can't seem to find any material on Mpeg layer 3 of a technical and
tutorial-based nature. All the material we have found is eihter very
"populistic" in its description of the coding or it is completely out of
our league, technically.

If anyone has any information on Mpeg layer 3 or know where to find it,
please mail me.

Thanks,

David Bych
Student of Computer Science

  _     _  _    _  _    _  _      _
| |   | || \  | || |  | |\ \    / / |
| |   | ||  \ | || |  | | \ \  / /  | David Bych
| |   | ||   \| || |  | |  \ \/ /   | F?lledvej 2b, 9210 Aalborg S?
| |   | || |\   || |  | |  / /\ \   | Denmark

|____||_||_|  \_||______|/_/    \_\ |

Mpeg 1 audio Layer 3

Post by Gabriel Bouvign » Wed, 10 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Have a look at www.mpeg.org and www.mp3tech.org (hint: have a look at the
source code section, studying source is a good way to learn about it)

Regards,

Gabriel Bouvigne - France

icq: 12138873

MP3' Tech: www.mp3tech.org

1. in MPEG audio layer 3, about stereo coding type

Hello, everyone

I have a question.
In MPEG audio layer 3,
There are many types of stereo coding method.
Can you explain stereo coding types?

e.g. MS stereo, intensity stereo, and joint stereo ...

Who do you want to explain these stereo coding types
and Where can I find about these articles?

2. LOGGING EVENTS HELP!!!!!

3. Is audio layer 3 different for MPEG 1 and 2?

4. a problem interpreting hierarchical cluster output

5. Source for Mpeg I layer 3 audio

6. Burma Long Neck Giraffe Hill Tribe Women Thailand

7. Any MPEG Layer 3 audio decoder chips available?

8. Anti-Aliasing

9. MPEG layer 3 audio encoder

10. Master's thesis report on a DSP-implementation of MPEG-1 Layer-3 audio available

11. MPEG Layer III: which bitrate for 32 kHz audio?

12. mpeg audio layer 3 encoding question