Serial data compression

Post by Greg Durna » Tue, 08 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi I'm building a data logger system based on a 68HC11 micro.  It has a
serial input for the data, and I need to be able to compress the data as
much as possible as I only have a 1MB chip.  the optimal compression ratio
needed is 8:1, however the CPU is running at 8MHz and is sampling at 1Hz.
Has anyone done anything familiar or know where I can look for more
information?

Thanks

- Nathan

1. Serial data compression project

We are working on a radio data telemetry system.

The system works at ranges of up to 20km but can only operate at up to
9600 baud.

We would like to improve on the maximum speed and are looking into
using hardware data compression and decompression to increase our
throughput.

The data is mostly ASCII characters and so should be suitable for
reasonably good compression ratios.

Ideally we would like to put a single chip (at both ends) into the
serial data stream which would produce a new (compressed) data stream
in real time.  This could then be sent over the airwaves where it can
be decompressed at the other end.

Are there ICs available which will do this?

Thiis is an unfamiliar area for us and we would be willing to pay for
knowledgeable advice on this matter.

Sorry if this has been asked before, I do not normally frequent this
news group.

Colin Crichton
Managing Director
CDLtd

w:      www.cdltd.net

2. Native mode AD and Samba?

3. Speech Compression + data compression!

4. Java - sunORB - the net - fnorb - Python

5. Data Compression on Data tapes

6. How to config Netopia Router R9100

7. DATA COMPRESSION for POINT-TO-POINT Data Circuits ??

8. HELP:MicroStation Basic getString

9. Exploding data from PKWARE Data Compression Library

10. Lossless data compression for 3-D image data

11. serial number compression

12. FDDI or serial compression hardware

13. One For All Remote Control Serial Data Cable