Version 1.0 of CMPEG and version 1.1 of DMPEG are now available from
garbo.uwasa.fi by anonymous ftp and by fsp (port 21) as
/pc/graphics/cmpeg10.zip and /pc/graphics/dmpeg11.zip.
Both have recently been posted to alt.binaries.pictures.utilities.
CMPEG converts Targa, PBMPLUS and Alchemy-RAW files to MPEG sequences.
DMPEG is a combined MPEG decoder/player for VGA and Super-VGA.
Both require a PC with 640KB and DOS but neither Windows nor a '386.
DMPEG also requires a VGA. Super-VGAs (8/24bit) are supported.
Here are some further informations, taken from the documentation:
Public Domain MPEG decoder
by Stefan Eckart
DMPEG is another MPEG decoder/player for the PC:
- decodes (nearly) the full MPEG video standard
(I,P,B frames, frame size up to at least 352x288)
- can save decoded sequence in 8 or 24bit raw file for
fast off-line display (two pass mode)
- optional on-screen display during decoding
- several dithering options for 8 bit displays:
ordered dither, Floyd-Steinberg, grayscale
- selectable color-space
- runs under DOS, 640KB RAM, no MS-Windows or '386 required
- compact (small code / small data models, 16 bit arithmetic)
- supports VGA, many Super-VGAs (including VESA) and
some TrueColor SVGAs
This is a list of major changes relative to version 1.0.
- speed improved by a factor of two through recoding of the IDCT and
interframe prediction routines in assembler and optimization of the
- support of TrueColor VGAs with VESA BIOS (only tested with Cirrus
- DMPEG and DMPLAY merged into one program
- SVGA / TrueColor support for immediate display during decoding
- increased robustness against errors in the file to be decoded:
program tries to resynchronize on the next slice/frame header
instead of terminating
- format of the 24 bit raw file changed (B,G,R instead of R,G,B)
MPEG Encoder for PC
by Stefan Eckart
CMPEG converts a series of images into an MPEG sequence. MPEG is a
compressed (typically by a factor of 30 to 60) standardized storage
format for video. The files compressed by CMPEG can be played by
several publicly available MPEG decoders (see Appendix A).
- input formats (detected automatically):
.TGA (Targa 16/24 Bit)
.RAW (Image Alchemy Raw Format)
- image size up to about 512x320 (with 640 KB RAM)
- generates 'real' MPEG sequences containing I,P and B frames
- can also produce files playable by Xing software decoders
- runs under DOS / 640KB / 8086 (no '386 or Windows required)
- many coding parameters under user control
- loadable quantization matrices
- choice between several motion estimation algorithms and matching