PC MPEG codec CMPEG V1.0 / DMPEG V1.1 available by ftp

PC MPEG codec CMPEG V1.0 / DMPEG V1.1 available by ftp

Post by Stefan Ecka » Fri, 16 Jul 1993 03:17:15

Version 1.0 of CMPEG and version 1.1 of DMPEG are now available from
garbo.uwasa.fi by anonymous ftp and by fsp (port 21) as
/pc/graphics/cmpeg10.zip and /pc/graphics/dmpeg11.zip.
Both have recently been posted to alt.binaries.pictures.utilities.

CMPEG converts Targa, PBMPLUS and Alchemy-RAW files to MPEG sequences.
DMPEG is a combined MPEG decoder/player for VGA and Super-VGA.
Both require a PC with 640KB and DOS but neither Windows nor a '386.
DMPEG also requires a VGA. Super-VGAs (8/24bit) are supported.

Here are some further informations, taken from the documentation:

                              DMPEG V1.1

                       Public Domain MPEG decoder

                           by Stefan Eckart

                               June 1993

1. Features
===========

DMPEG is another MPEG decoder/player for the PC:

 - decodes (nearly) the full MPEG video standard
   (I,P,B frames, frame size up to at least 352x288)

 - can save decoded sequence in 8 or 24bit raw file for
   fast off-line display (two pass mode)

 - optional on-screen display during decoding

 - several dithering options for 8 bit displays:
     ordered dither, Floyd-Steinberg, grayscale

 - selectable color-space

 - runs under DOS, 640KB RAM, no MS-Windows or '386 required

 - compact (small code / small data models, 16 bit arithmetic)

 - supports VGA, many Super-VGAs (including VESA) and
   some TrueColor SVGAs

6. Changes
==========

This is a list of major changes relative to version 1.0.

- speed improved by a factor of two through recoding of the IDCT and
  interframe prediction routines in assembler and optimization of the
  dithering algorithms

- support of TrueColor VGAs with VESA BIOS (only tested with Cirrus
  Logic)

- DMPEG and DMPLAY merged into one program

- SVGA / TrueColor support for immediate display during decoding

- increased robustness against errors in the file to be decoded:
  program tries to resynchronize on the next slice/frame header
  instead of terminating

- format of the 24 bit raw file changed (B,G,R instead of R,G,B)

                              CMPEG V1.0

                          MPEG Encoder for PC

                           by Stefan Eckart

                               June 1993

    CMPEG converts a series of images into an MPEG sequence. MPEG is a
    compressed (typically by a factor of 30 to 60) standardized storage
    format for video. The files compressed by CMPEG can be played by
    several publicly available MPEG decoders (see Appendix A).

1. Features
===========

 - input formats (detected automatically):

     .PPM (PBMPLUS),
     .TGA (Targa 16/24 Bit)
     .RAW (Image Alchemy Raw Format)

 - image size up to about 512x320 (with 640 KB RAM)

 - generates 'real' MPEG sequences containing I,P and B frames

 - can also produce files playable by Xing software decoders

 - runs under DOS / 640KB / 8086 (no '386 or Windows required)

 - many coding parameters under user control

 - loadable quantization matrices

 - choice between several motion estimation algorithms and matching
   criteria

--

PC MPEG codec CMPEG V1.0 / DMPEG V1.1 available by ftp

Post by David Rivk » Sat, 17 Jul 1993 05:15:38

Nothing about audio though!  When is there going to be talkies in the digital ago?

David Rivkin