Compressing algoritms

Post by Rolv Seehuu » Mon, 30 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I'm planning to write a freevare zip utitlity (don't ask why..:-) and
wonder if there is possible to get a spesification on the zip-algoritm
anywhere.. (Is it copyrighted or restricted in any way? )

I want to be able to compress/decompress standard *.zip, arj and lha
files.

Rolv

Compressing algoritms

Post by Interent Americ » Tue, 01 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>I'm planning to write a freevare zip utitlity (don't ask why..:-) and
>wonder if there is possible to get a spesification on the zip-algoritm
>anywhere.. (Is it copyrighted or restricted in any way? )

There shouldn't be any serious legal obstacles preventing you from writing
your own zip utility. Of course, the fact that the Info-zip people have
already written a pretty good freeware utility ought to at least give you
pause for thought.

Check the FAQ on my home page for details on how to go about it:

http://www.dogma.net/markn

1. Algoritms Wanted

I just wrote mu first compression program using Huffman encoding
as described by MANBER in his book. Now I want to know if there
is any better algorithms available. If you have one, will
you please E-MAIL it to me. I would also like to have GIF's
algoritm or an easy documentaion describeing how the compressing
works.

CHARL (PC)

2. Bill Center, Selecting multiple entries

3. question:validation programms for testing algoritms

4. Workgroup/Fields in Workgroup Messages/Comments

5. Paper: "Test Sequence Algoritms and Formal Languages" available

6. Accounts in different currencies

7. Compressing compressed file

8. sharing files from W2k pro to W2k Pro

9. Compressing compressed files

10. compressing compressed files

11. I need FREE Space...To Compress or not Compress?

12. h/w compress, s/w de-compress?

13. I am searching Compress.exe to compress files