DR DOS, MS DOS or Stacker???

Post by Cholette Mart » Wed, 26 Feb 1992 05:56:22

 I have a 386-33 with a 90 Mb hard disk. I have installed Stacker on my
hard disk, so far it works fine, my problem is that I would like
to upgrade to DR DOS 6.0. Now DR DOS 6.0 also has a compression utility,
I would like to know if it as good and as easy to use as stacker. Should
I remove stacker from my hard disk and install DR DOS 6.0 instead. Also
will MS DOS 6.0 be compatible with DR DOS 6.0 or should I wait for the
Microsoft product to come out. If anyone has any information on the subject
I would appreciate some insight. Thanks.

                                                 Martin Cholette

/

DR DOS, MS DOS or Stacker???

Post by Ranseus (Jim Knepl » Wed, 26 Feb 1992 12:14:00

> I have a 386-33 with a 90 Mb hard disk. I have installed Stacker on my
>hard disk, so far it works fine, my problem is that I would like
>to upgrade to DR DOS 6.0. Now DR DOS 6.0 also has a compression utility,
>I would like to know if it as good and as easy to use as stacker. Should
>I remove stacker from my hard disk and install DR DOS 6.0 instead. Also
>will MS DOS 6.0 be compatible with DR DOS 6.0 or should I wait for the
>Microsoft product to come out. If anyone has any information on the subject
>I would appreciate some insight. Thanks.

I was in a simmilar situation.  I had Stacker (2.0) on my drive and switched
to DR DOS.  I use SSTOR (the DR DOS compressor) now since DR DOS has been
optimized (de-bugged) to work with SSTOR and not necessarially Stacker.
For instance:  CHKDSK also check the internal tables of the SuperStor drive,
DISKOPT knows about SuperStor drives and acts accordingly, and XDIR (the
extended DIR command, if you couldn't tell) knows about SSTOR.
I'm sure that there are some other internal things (passwords, for instance)
that would be potentially dangerous to use with Stacker.w3

Stacker is better, though.  PC Magazine recently did a review of real-time
disk compression toys.  Stacker came out faster that SSTOR, but not by too
much.  I don't think you could tell the difference in everyday use.  I
can't.

Jim

--

 Jim Knepley         Magician, programmer, all around nice guy.
   (Ranseus)                            NOT!

DR DOS, MS DOS or Stacker???

Post by Nico de Vri » Fri, 28 Feb 1992 17:09:26

Quote:> I have a 386-33 with a 90 Mb hard disk. I have installed Stacker on my
>hard disk, so far it works fine, my problem is that I would like
>to upgrade to DR DOS 6.0. Now DR DOS 6.0 also has a compression utility,
>I would like to know if it as good and as easy to use as stacker. Should

TMHO it is not. Stacker is faster, has more features and seems to be more
reliable. Since you already bought it the main disadvantage, the price,
does not count for you.

Quote:>I remove stacker from my hard disk and install DR DOS 6.0 instead. Also
>will MS DOS 6.0 be compatible with DR DOS 6.0 or should I wait for the
>Microsoft product to come out. If anyone has any information on the subject
>I would appreciate some insight. Thanks.

This is not to be expected. Whenever MS DOS 6.0 comes out it will probably
not be another DR DOS clone like MS DOS 5.0 was. The real improvements
in DR DOS are just there. The add ons are availale seperately. TMHO the
best part of DR DOS is the price. Forgetting that a combination of MS-DOS
Stacker, QEMM and speeddisk (Norton) etc is probably better.
Don't forget (if you care) DR DOS 6.0 will not run Windows in the near
future.

>                                                 Martin Cholette

>/

---
#include <dislaimer&MY opinion.h++>
"I know my English spelling is bad, but if I used my    "   - O
"own language you probably couldn't read it at all.     "    |
"(And above that I am a bad typist too!)"                   \_/

Hi! I am a .signature virus. Copy me into your .signature to join in!

1. MS DOS <> MSX DOS

How does MSX DOS compare to MS DOS? It's well known that the first MS DOS
version was essentially a modified version of the semi CP/M compatible
operating system QDOS (by Seattle) ported to the 8088/8086 processor based
IBM PC.

But how does MSX DOS fit into this story? It's CP/M compatible so could it
be possible that MSX DOS is also (partly) based on QDOS? Or is it a complete
rewrite of code? Or was it MS DOS ported to the MSX system? What about the
time between the release of MS DOS and MSX DOS?

And why exactly are they so alike? The first IBM PC had Microsoft BASIC in
ROM, just like the MSX had, and the DOS boot procedure is the same. It
really looks like a trimmed down Z80 version of the IBM PC doesn't it?

Or was MSX DOS a product of ascii? And what about MSX DOS 2, was this
written by MS or by ASCII?

Anyone care to share some thoughts?

2. HP Scanjet 4S

3. Basic Dos to Dos or Windows to Dos software

4. Paintjet for Macs ?

5. ZD article about DR DOS

6. Copy/Paste text from/to OUTSIDE of pine

7. Tape Dr., SCSI, for UNIX + DOS

8. Another (slighly different) LCP problem...

9. DR DOS and Minix partitions

10. DR-DOS as almost-real-time?

11. DR-DOS 7.x experiences & opinions needed ..

12. DR Multiuser DOS? Alternatives?

13. DR DOS 6.0