Can't find GUNZIP for dos!

Post by paul.. » Fri, 02 Apr 1993 00:11:25

Hi,
I'm trying to get hold of a gunzip for dos based machines.
I have downloaded garbo.uwasa.fi:/pc/arcers/gzip107.exe and in the documents
with this it talks about gunzip, but it isn't in this (self extracting) file.
Can anyone tell me whete I might get hold of gunzip?

Many thanks

Paul Butterworth, Verifone (UK) Ltd, London.

Can't find GUNZIP for dos!

Post by william E Davids » Fri, 02 Apr 1993 22:48:41

| I'm trying to get hold of a gunzip for dos based machines.
| I have downloaded garbo.uwasa.fi:/pc/arcers/gzip107.exe and in the documents
| with this it talks about gunzip, but it isn't in this (self extracting) file.
| Can anyone tell me whete I might get hold of gunzip?

  Never heard of gunzip, but unzip from the info-ZIP group is on
wuarchive and other fine archive site, and can be download from *IX BBS
(518-346-8033) among others.

  If you saw this in gzip it may be that FSF has their own version of
unzip, or has taken ours and enhanced it by adding the g at the front of
the name ;-)

--
bill davidsen, GE Corp. R&D Center; Box 8; Schenectady NY 12345

Can't find GUNZIP for dos!

Post by Maurice S. Barn » Sat, 03 Apr 1993 01:35:23

> I'm trying to get hold of a gunzip for dos based machines.
> I have downloaded garbo.uwasa.fi:/pc/arcers/gzip107.exe and in the documents
> with this it talks about gunzip, but it isn't in this (self extracting) file.
> Can anyone tell me whete I might get hold of gunzip?

gzip and gunzip are the same program. On unix, they're links to
the same file, which (as far as I know), doesn't work in DOS.

use gzip -d to decompress, gzip -c to decompress to stdout.
No doc included?
--
Maurice S. Barnum

Can't find GUNZIP for dos!

Post by Fuzzy F » Sat, 03 Apr 1993 03:50:36

Quote:>  If you saw this in gzip it may be that FSF has their own version of
>unzip, or has taken ours and enhanced it by adding the g at the front of
>the name ;-)

"Ours"?  :)

Gzip is written by the same author as Info-Zip's zip program, using the
same compression scheme as zip1.9, but intending to replace the
functionality of the "compress" program.  It is merely a compressor, not
an archiver.

--
David DeSimone      | Rules of Creative Research:

  If I said it, it  |  2) Never copy what you can trace.
 must be my opinion |  3) Never trace what you can cut out and paste down.

Can't find GUNZIP for dos!

Post by Fuzzy F » Sat, 03 Apr 1993 03:52:07

Quote:>gzip and gunzip are the same program. On unix, they're links to
>the same file, which (as far as I know), doesn't work in DOS.

Until DOS supports links (I can dream), simple copy GZIP.EXE to both
GUNZIP.EXE and ZCAT.EXE, and you will then have the gunzip and zcat
commands available.

The program recognizes its name, and if it matches the pattern "UN*"
(i.e. uncompress, uncomp, ungzip, unpack) then it will go into
uncompress mode.  If the name matches "?CAT*" (zcat, pcat, gcat) then
it will uncompress to standard output.

--
David DeSimone      | Rules of Creative Research:

  If I said it, it  |  2) Never copy what you can trace.
 must be my opinion |  3) Never trace what you can cut out and paste down.

Can't find GUNZIP for dos!

Post by Mark Adl » Sat, 03 Apr 1993 05:52:12

gunzip is just the gzip executable with that name.  It does what
gzip -d does.  On Unix systems you link it (hard or symbolic)
with that name, on MSDOS, just copy gzip.exe to gunzip.exe.  Or
just use gzip -d.

unzip is another thing entirely.

Mark Adler

Can't find GUNZIP for dos!

Post by Mark Adl » Sat, 03 Apr 1993 07:11:51

Quote:>> gzip and gunzip are the same program. On unix, they're links to
>> the same file, which (as far as I know), doesn't work in DOS.

Yes it does.  Well, copying the gzip.exe file to gunzip.exe works
anyway--MSDOS doesn't have links.  gzip looks for the first two
letters of the executable to be "un" or "gun" (as in uncompress or
gunzip) to default the -d option.

mark

Can't find GUNZIP for dos!

Post by Mark Adl » Sat, 03 Apr 1993 17:14:20

>> Yes it does.  Well, copying the gzip.exe file to gunzip.exe works

which is true.  But Nico just pointed out that you could simply make
a batch file (gunzip.bat) that did gzip -d.  Takes less space that
way.  Silly me--I forgot about batch files.

mark

Can't find GUNZIP for dos!

Post by John Seraf » Mon, 05 Apr 1993 07:46:30

>>> Yes it does.  Well, copying the gzip.exe file to gunzip.exe works
>which is true.  But Nico just pointed out that you could simply make
>a batch file (gunzip.bat) that did gzip -d.  Takes less space that
>way.  Silly me--I forgot about batch files.

And even more space (and time) can be saved by using the alias feature of
4DOS and various command line editor utilities.

--
John P. Serafin  |  Operating a bicycle is more like driving than riding.