BS2 - "Hardware not found" Help!

Post by Sandrew » Sat, 17 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I'm really sorry for bothering everyone with what I assume is an
all-too-oftenly asked question.. but - I can't get my basic stamp II to
function!  What's wrong?

i've got a serial cord hooked up to the only serial port i've got..
I've got the serial cord hooked into the carrier board I bought from
www.dckits.com
I shutdown the computer to DOS mode.
I have a good battery (at least it sends my tongue into cunvulsions whenever I
try to test it... ; )
I try and find the stamp in the stamp compiler (which came with scott edwards'
book) but it says 'hardware not found'

I don't understand what the problem is.  Can anyone help me?  Thank you so very
much!

-Andrew

Reconn's World
Home of the Robotics and EE Webring
http://www.reconnsworld.com/

BS2 - "Hardware not found" Help!

Post by Simo » Sat, 17 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I am not too sure about the BS2, but the BS1 has a 3 pin plug. Have you got
it the right way round.

The prototyping board on the BS1 also has one row of 15 pins and one row of
3 pins. If the row of 3 pins have not been solderd to the 15 pin row you
must connect the plug direct to the 15 pin row.

Regards
Simon Carr

>I'm really sorry for bothering everyone with what I assume is an
>all-too-oftenly asked question.. but - I can't get my basic stamp II to
>function!  What's wrong?

>i've got a serial cord hooked up to the only serial port i've got..
>I've got the serial cord hooked into the carrier board I bought from
>www.dckits.com
>I shutdown the computer to DOS mode.
>I have a good battery (at least it sends my tongue into cunvulsions
whenever I
>try to test it... ; )
>I try and find the stamp in the stamp compiler (which came with scott
edwards'
>book) but it says 'hardware not found'

>I don't understand what the problem is.  Can anyone help me?  Thank you so
very
>much!

>-Andrew

>Reconn's World
>Home of the Robotics and EE Webring
>http://www.reconnsworld.com/

BS2 - "Hardware not found" Help!

Post by Dennis Clar » Sat, 17 Jul 1999 04:00:00

: I'm really sorry for bothering everyone with what I assume is an
: all-too-oftenly asked question.. but - I can't get my basic stamp II to
: function!  What's wrong?

: i've got a serial cord hooked up to the only serial port i've got..

  If that port isn't the first one (Port 0 I think) then you have to tell
the compiler what port it is on.  I believe that it is a command line
option (something like) stamp2 \1  for port 1, I may not have this perfectly
correct, but its something like that.

: I've got the serial cord hooked into the carrier board I bought from
: www.dckits.com

  Hopefully that carrier board is wired properly, the Scott Edwards book
shows you what to look for.

: I shutdown the computer to DOS mode.
: I have a good battery (at least it sends my tongue into cunvulsions whenever I
: try to test it... ; )
: I try and find the stamp in the stamp compiler (which came with scott edwards'
: book) but it says 'hardware not found'

  Make sure you have a straight through DB9 to DB9 (or DB25 to DB9) I believe
you need a modem cable, not a printer cable, but again, I'm not sure as I
used an "EGA extender cable" that was a straight through DB9-DB9 cable on
my stuff - BG Micro sells this little gem.

DLC

* Be well, do good work, and stay in touch -- Garrison Keillor             *

BS2 - "Hardware not found" Help!

Post by Rhin » Sun, 18 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Make sure that pin 6 (DSR) and pin 7 (RTS) are connected together either in
the serial cable or on the prototype board as this is how the stamp compiler
program identifies the stamp. Also, if you are using an extension cable,
make sure it is a straight through DB9 to DB9 cable and not a null modem
cable.
Hope this helps.

Quote:> I'm really sorry for bothering everyone with what I assume is an
> all-too-oftenly asked question.. but - I can't get my basic stamp II to
> function!  What's wrong?

> i've got a serial cord hooked up to the only serial port i've got..
> I've got the serial cord hooked into the carrier board I bought from
> www.dckits.com
> I shutdown the computer to DOS mode.
> I have a good battery (at least it sends my tongue into cunvulsions
whenever I
> try to test it... ; )
> I try and find the stamp in the stamp compiler (which came with scott
edwards'
> book) but it says 'hardware not found'

> I don't understand what the problem is.  Can anyone help me?  Thank you so
very
> much!

> -Andrew

> Reconn's World
> Home of the Robotics and EE Webring
> http://www.reconnsworld.com/

BS2 - "Hardware not found" Help!

Post by Sandrew » Sun, 18 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I've tried connecting pins 6 and 7, and I've got a db9 to db9 (male, female)
cord - but nothing has made a difference..  do you suppose my stamp is busted?

Reconn's World
Home of the Robotics and EE Webring
http://www.reconnsworld.com/

BS2 - "Hardware not found" Help!

Post by Carl Johnso » Sun, 18 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I was not able to communicate with my BS II either. I tried everything, all
connections etc. Then I saw a post about the BSII not communicating through
Windows 95 and the solution was the Basic Stamp Windows Front End program. I
bought and downloaded this program and everthing worked fine. I don't
remember the specifics of why I needed the program but maybe someone on this
NG can explain it. The program did the trick though.

Let me know if you need more info on the program and I can dig up where I
downloaded it from.

Quote:> I've tried connecting pins 6 and 7, and I've got a db9 to db9 (male,
female)
> cord - but nothing has made a difference..  do you suppose my stamp is
busted?

> Reconn's World
> Home of the Robotics and EE Webring
> http://www.reconnsworld.com/

BS2 - "Hardware not found" Help!

Post by Sandrew » Mon, 19 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Wooohoo!! Thanks alot Carl - the windows interface worked!  I tried to download
the windows interface before, but it was only for NT, so I didn't bother d/l
the beta version.  Thanks again Carl, you're a life saver!