Are all solid state relays opto-isolated

Are all solid state relays opto-isolated

Post by mark stephe » Thu, 27 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I even have the Crydom handbook and it seems to suggest that most SSRs are
optically coupled.  But nowhere in the data sheets does it mention this!
No word on 'isolation voltage'.  I'm looking at the CX series of miniSIP
SSRs.

thanks!

mark

--

code 521.2                   (301) 286-4269
NASA/GSFC

Are all solid state relays opto-isolated

Post by Bruce Bostwic » Fri, 28 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I even have the Crydom handbook and it seems to suggest that most SSRs are

optically coupled.  But nowhere in the data sheets does it mention this!

Quote:> No word on 'isolation voltage'.  I'm looking at the CX series of miniSIP
> SSRs.

The Crydom section of my Digikey catalog mentions 1500V isolation for various
relays of a number of package types, including the D1Dxx MOSFET DC series.

I have used several of the DC- and AC-input dual diac SSR's for controlling
high-current AC devices, and their isolation is quite good.  The off-state
current of the SCR's leaves something to be desired (tingle! unplug before
servicing, you *&^&* idiot! ;-) but is easily dealt with.

--

Post by Richard Steven Wa » Sat, 29 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>I even have the Crydom handbook and it seems to suggest that most SSRs are
>optically coupled.  But nowhere in the data sheets does it mention this!
>No word on 'isolation voltage'.  I'm looking at the CX series of miniSIP
>SSRs.

>thanks!

>mark

>--

>code 521.2                   (301) 286-4269
>NASA/GSFC
>Greenbelt, MD 20771

Well, I have never SEEN a circuit diagram for one that didn't use an
opto-SCR or opto-TRIAC, but who knows! It doesn't SAY that in their
DATA??? Weird. I'd call them if YOU can't FIND that info at NASA
Goddard of all places!! I don't see them in my phone list, and the one
or two in my drawer are that other brand that looks just like theirs.
Check for more data in the NASA systems, perhaps! They have space-rated
some of those, surely by now!!
-Steve
--

mirrored: ftp://ieee.cas.uc.edu:/pub/electronics/faqs/ftp.armory.com
and Europe: ftp://ftp.cised.unina.it:/pub/electronics/ftp.armory.com

Post by Don Yunisk » Sat, 29 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>>I even have the Crydom handbook and it seems to suggest that most SSRs are
>>optically coupled.  But nowhere in the data sheets does it mention this!
>>No word on 'isolation voltage'.  I'm looking at the CX series of miniSIP
>>SSRs.

>Well, I have never SEEN a circuit diagram for one that didn't use an
>opto-SCR or opto-TRIAC, but who knows! It doesn't SAY that in their
>DATA??? Weird. I'd call them if YOU can't FIND that info at NASA
>Goddard of all places!! I don't see them in my phone list, and the one
>or two in my drawer are that other brand that looks just like theirs.
>Check for more data in the NASA systems, perhaps! They have space-rated
>some of those, surely by now!!

Some SSR's use pulse transformers to provide isolation.  And, I
imagine you can probably purchase "non-isolated" devices (I
know I've *designed* SSR's of this type into gear...)

--don

1. Residential Elec Req for solid state relay (OPTO 22 #240D25)

I had been planing on using GE RR9 relays to control all the outlets
in our new house.  However I've found that OPTO 22 has a 25A solid
state relay for less money than the GE mechanical relays.  My concern
is what the electrical code requirements are to use these SSR's.

GE sells a relay enclosure with barriers to separate the low and high
voltage.  The barrier has 1/2" knockouts that the RR9 relays fit in so
that the low voltage wiring is on one side and the high on the other.
When I talked to OPTO 22 the tech said their SSR's meet all the NEC
requirements but they didn't have an enclosure to separate the wiring.
He wasn't sure about the barrier requirement.

Questions:

1.  Does anyone know of an enclosure that accomplishes low and high
voltage separation for these hockey-puck type solid state relays?

2.  Is the barrier requirement only for residential?

3.  Can I build a barrier inside a wiring cabinent and meet code?  Or
does anything I use have to be UL registered?  I had thought of a
metal plate with square holes in the bottom that sits over the relay
so the high voltage terminals are on one side and low on the other
 ____________________________________
 ||     ____      |      ___       ||
  |  Low    \     |     /  High    |

If there are any electricians or inspectors out there I'd be glad to
hear if you have any answers. In particular I'd be interested in the
requirements in Ventura County Calif. Thanks.
Jon D. Newbill, Software Consultant

Placing ones and zeros in the proper order is all I do!

2. WFW/PPP to Samba server

3. solid state relay help req. - relay.jpg (0/1)

4. Test

5. Opto-Isolated IndustryPacks

6. UC Berkeley Short Courses on Software Development

7. 24 VAC Solid State Relay?

8. Defrag hangs every time -- gives Event ID 9 error logs.

9. Cheep solid state relays for project

10. What type of solid-state relay to use for WS module?

11. FS Solid State Relay 5$

12. solid state relay