Beginner Help - BS2

Post by Dan Iabo » Wed, 24 Apr 2002 01:39:23

Hello,

I'm in the process of building a remote to control a projection system
using a BS2 and I'm having difficulty establishing serial
communication with the device. I know that the projector uses 8 bit,
no-parity and inverted polarity so I think I have my SEROUT command in
the correct format (See Below).

SEROUT 9, 16468, 1000, [2,"AD01:PON",3]

And the ouput data format has been verified as correct by the
projector manufactuer. This leaves me to suspect that there may be a
problem with the wiring. On a DB9 connector I have the pinout going to
pin 2, and the VSS going to pin 5. I have also connected pins 7, and 8
internally. I'm just not sure what to do with pin 3 on the connector.
The projector does not need to communicate with the remote so do I
even need that wire?

I have plugged the cable into a computer and using Hyperterminal I've
been able to recieve the data in the correct format.

Any suggestions as to what may be the source of my problem?

Thanks

Dan

Beginner Help - BS2

Post by Dennis Clar » Wed, 24 Apr 2002 02:44:46

  I'm assuming that the projector wants standard RS232 voltage levels for
its serial data.  RS232 levels are effectively "inverted" from TTL serial
levels.  There is one catch, RS232 wants +/- 5-12V, TTL will only be 5V
and 0V, this usually won't cut it.  I recommend that you either send your
serial out port 16 (the RS232 level serial port that the Stamp II is
programmed on) or put a level converter on your serial output line like a
MAX232.  In both of these cases you would use non-inverted serial, the
level converter will do the inverting for you.

DLC
[...]

* Be well, do good work, and stay in touch -- Garrison Keillor             *

1. Beginner Help - BS2

[...]

2. Muddy Wav Audio Problem

3. BS2 to BS2 Serial Communication

4. Processing bounces from bulk emails (not spam)

5. BS2 RC Rx Programming help

6. What is this Sbus video card? Told it was Turbo GX

7. Help!! controlling dc motors with bs2

8. Streams (yet again) and endl

9. BS2 - "Hardware not found" Help!

10. Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 ED - Beginners help.

11. Beginner requesting help

12. help a complete beginner!

13. Beginners help required - connecting external SCSI to AHA-2940 with internal drives